Where can I buy custom ammunition for an unmade calibre?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tangero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Lake County
    Story is: my brother and I inherited a Remington model 1867 rolling block from our grandfather. It is in great shape and we would like to see if we can find someone who can custom make ammunition for the weapon. Best we can tell is that it is in 12.17x44r. I recall seeing a video on YouTube explaining how to make the cartridge but neither of us are handy enough to want to shave down casings and such. Any suggestions/recommendations?

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Welcome to the forum.

When it comes to what ammo to put in your gun "best we can tell" really isn't good enough. Get a chamber cast done and find out exactly what you're dealing with, for your safety and to protect that cool old gun. ;)

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I saw the thread title and thought you were "The Man with the Golden Gun" for a minute there. :D:draw:

Tangero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Lake County
    Welcome to the forum.

When it comes to what ammo to put in your gun "best we can tell" really isn't good enough. Get a chamber cast done and find out exactly what you're dealing with, for your safety and to protect that cool old gun. ;)
    Yeah, I was thinking it would probably come to that. And where can one have that done?

Also, buffalo arms didn't have that round listed. Do they do special orders?

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    From what I understand this caliber was made in both a rimfire and a centerfire.
    Do you know which the old rolling block is set up for?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    That old design was made in many calibers. Some were even paper patched balloon case cartridges. Wanting to shoot it but not wanting to blow myself up, I had another barrel made, but chambered it to accept only .44 spl. That was close to the original caliber (.43) and it was similar in pressure specifications. Be sure to save the old barrel for collector use. I wish I had done it in .45 COLT, but it is fun to shoot anyway. No hassle of paper patching bullets to use in brass that is almost impossible (and extremely expensive) to obtain, and the original barrel was really rough shape anyway.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I had a pretty beat-up Model '92 rebarreled, retaining the original 44-40 chambering. The chamber cast on that one showed severe pitting in the walls of the barrel and chamber that would have made regular use impossible. The original barrel was retained, in case we ever want to put it back on the gun. The new barrel shoots great and is used for deer hunting every fall.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Buffalo Arms most certainly has is.. Go to reloading brass 9.1 mm and larger and I believe it is on the second page.
    Doing a chamber cast is a good idea, any local gunsmith should be able to do that for you, You can also do it yourself with Cerrosafe and that can be ordered from Brownells or Midwayusa.com

Last edited:

rollingblock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Morristown, IN
    Since this is an inherited piece you may not want to do this, but I had a rolling block in a very similar caliber that I had a gunsmith rebarrel into a 45-90, very slight extractor work was done and that was it. I used it to take a buffalo in Nebraska year before last, next on the list is a boar.

Buck67

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Check out Buffalo Arms Company Shooting Supplies|Over 10,000 Shooting Supplies, Black Powder Cartridge Rifle|Cowboy Guns|Reloading. While you are at it check out the Black Powder Cartridge Rifle boys at www.BPCR.net - Black Powder Cartridge Rifle. Knowledge is power.

I shoot an 11.7 X 56R cartridge out of an 1874 rolling block. I get my brass and bullets from Buffalo Arms. BTW, 7 times never reload the cartridges for these old guns with anything but real black powder. I'm not talking gun powder that looks black, I'm talking Goex or another brand of real black gunpowder that these guns were originally built to use.

Buck67

Top Bottom