Where can I find a lockable ammo box/can?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    Now that I think about it, I'm starting to like the idea of a large lockable container.....

Jobsite storage boxes come in a variety of sizes. Northern Tool has a 36x16x18 box for $200 and Grainger has a 30x16x12 box for $186. Smaller locking tool boxes could also work.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And dont forget the bigger the container, the less likely it will grow legs. They cant steal it if they cant carry it. :laugh:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    We went through the same thing when we were going to be foster parents. I used an old filing cabinet that locked. We found out we were pregnant so we never had the home study done. But I had asked the people who were giving the classes and they said that it would be ok.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Silly question but why would they look in you gun safe? How would they know the ammo is in the gun safe?

I would just find an old metal cabinet and stick a small padlock on it. I keep my ammo in an old metal printer stand. I will give it to you if you want.

seems to me this would be a good use for all those gun locks I have laying around. N

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    drill a couple of holes through a regular matal USGI ammo can and put a "U" bolt through them. A regular padlock latched into the "U" bolt will not let the latch open. You might have to notch the latch handle some to clear the handle. Since the nuts are inside the can, they cannot easily be unscrewed. cheap and easy.

I never did it, but I have seen someone drill holes on the sides of the can and run one leg of a long shank bicycle lock through the sides and the other leg was blocking the latch from opening. Seemed to work fine also.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Silly question but why would they look in you gun safe? How would they know the ammo is in the gun safe?

I would just find an old metal cabinet and stick a small padlock on it. I keep my ammo in an old metal printer stand. I will give it to you if you want.

seems to me this would be a good use for all those gun locks I have laying around. N

I have no idea if they are going to want to actually look inside the safe or not. I'd rather not chance it....

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    drill a couple of holes through a regular matal USGI ammo can and put a "U" bolt through them. A regular padlock latched into the "U" bolt will not let the latch open. You might have to notch the latch handle some to clear the handle. Since the nuts are inside the can, they cannot easily be unscrewed. cheap and easy.

I never did it, but I have seen someone drill holes on the sides of the can and run one leg of a long shank bicycle lock through the sides and the other leg was blocking the latch from opening. Seemed to work fine also.

I did the same thing but with an eyebolt. That's OK if you only have a halfdozen 50 rd boxes, but if you have quite a bit, the metal job box or a locking file cabinet sounds like a better solution for the home.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Just put a locking knobset on a closet that you don't use. That way you have plenty of storage space and nobody can get in without a key.

That should make them happy.

Top Bottom