Where can I find information on archery laws?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Any ideas? I am trying to figure out if I can practice with a bow on my property. I can find literally zero information on anything archery related in Indiana. Thanks!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't think there is much under state law unless you're taking game or attempting to kill someone with it. If there are rules against shooting it on your property they'll likely be in a city or county ordinance.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Any ideas? I am trying to figure out if I can practice with a bow on my property. I can find literally zero information on anything archery related in Indiana. Thanks!

Zoning or city code.

Check any ordinance on discharging firearms as sometimes archery is lumped in there.

Careful with that backstop, especially with crossbows. A friend of mine had an "incident" with a crossbow at Galyan's once (right through the straw bales and into the boat pond!).:D

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Check city/county ordnances.

I know under Terre Haute's city code, if there is any chemical, pneumatic, or spring-loaded assistance in the propulsion of the projectile, it falls under the discharge of a firearm ordnance. A bow is considered a spring. The only way you can have a projectile in the city limits is if it leaves the hand directly, as in throwing knives, tomahawks, and spears. Not sure about using an atlatl with the spear.

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Guess I better call and ask them whether a bow is considered a 'dangerous or deadly weapon.' I bet yes, which sucks.

Top Bottom