• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    The only reason I ask is because I'm picking up a battle rifle for stupid cheap and it only had 100 rounds with it. I know Tula is cheap, but I can't find it online, and I don't want to venture to Wally world in the holiday chaos and wind up empty handed.

Also, are there alternatives for .308? I know you can't shoot x39 out 54R out of it unless you want cheap facial reconstruction.

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    Also interested in where 308 ammo is, as I just bought an Encore 308 pistol and can't find ammo either. It is not a caliber that I am set up to load currently so I checked two Walmart's and Gander Mountain with no success.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I go out to the garage, open up the cabinet, pull out some once-fired brass that I've already resized and primed. I then charge with a suitable amount of powder and seat the bullet of my choice to a specified length. That's where I find my 308 ammo.

Right now, even with all the panic buying going on, finding it on the shelf of a LGS shouldn't be ALL that hard. "Reasonable" is a very subjective term; what is reasonable to some might be very expensive to others. By reloading your own, you get excellent quality ammo at a fraction of what even the cheapest surplus rounds cost, and way less than you'd pay for truly good factory ammo.

I never thought we'd see a time when finding 308 ammo would be difficult. It's hard to imagine, actually. Gander Mtn. with no 308? huh.

If I was shooting a 308 Encore, I would for sure be reloading for it. I would hate to be stuck shooting factory ammo from it when you could get better performance and accuracy from hand loads.

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    BJ, I agree on handloading for the Encore. I am suffering from "I just got a new piece and can't wait until my dies and brass and bullets get shipped" panic.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    BJ, I agree on handloading for the Encore. I am suffering from "I just got a new piece and can't wait until my dies and brass and bullets get shipped" panic.

I have been there, myself. I've got a half-used box of 30-'06 in the cabinet that I bought in very much the same situation.

FWIW - The 125gr BT's, at pistol velocity, are an awesome choice for the 308. They will serve you well on varmints, yotes and deer. When you slow these bullets down, they don't blow up like they do at rifle speeds.

Do you have a preferred bullet already picked out?

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    I am hoping the Nosler 150 Ballistic tips pan out, may try the 125's also. I am new to the pistol length 308 scene, read good things about Varget so I plan on starting there.

Menace67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Noblesville
    I can tell you this Walmart does not sell Tula .308 around Indy. Only .223 7.62x39 and hand gun calibers so don't waste your time.

We sell .308 dies, powder, primers and may have a little brass left. We had some factory ammo but it all sold last week, it's still available out there you should be ale to pick some up pretty easily.

Top Bottom