• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1nthechmber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    I live in Indy.....didn't really want to go to trafalgar...

Anywhere close?

This thing is burning a hilw in my pocket......

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Atterbury is worth the trip, it's a real good range.
    I hear a lot of +'s ...but I've also heard a LOT of -'s :dunno:

For me personally, I think the -'s outweight the positives when combined with the drive and prices. Of course, I have access to family's land which is closer and doesn't cost which aids in my personal decision.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    If you are on the east side, there is the DNR range in New Castle, Wilbur Wright facility. The nice thing about it is it is FREE! The only draw back is they do not like shots fired at more than one per second, which makes double tap practice a bit difficult. Also for those with semi-auto military style firearm, quick dumps of ammo are a no-no.

But it is FREE!

jeepville

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    New Castle
    If you are on the east side, there is the DNR range in New Castle, Wilbur Wright facility. The nice thing about it is it is FREE! The only draw back is they do not like shots fired at more than one per second, which makes double tap practice a bit difficult. Also for those with semi-auto military style firearm, quick dumps of ammo are a no-no.

But it is FREE!

I was going to say wilbur as well they are free which is a huge plus but they arent close for us living in indy.
    It shows how badly we need an outdoor range outside indy but still close. Even a members club with reasonable rates would go over if well setup and taken care of.

1nthechmber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    Now I can't find any ammo ....gander-$27 for 20....come on....that's a damn joke....

Walmart only has rem.white box which I hear is very dirty,and it ain't cheap either....any ideas other than online.....wanted to go to Wilber today....its 2:35....clock is ticking.....maybe ill just go catch some small mouth bass....?

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Be aware the Wilbur Wright range closes at 5PM.

Also, they are closed Mondays (unless it is a holiday, then they are open -wierd!) and Tuesdays.

msr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    Indianapolis - Broad Ripple
    Now I can't find any ammo ....gander-$27 for 20....come on....that's a damn joke....

Walmart only has rem.white box which I hear is very dirty,and it ain't cheap either....any ideas other than online.....wanted to go to Wilber today....its 2:35....clock is ticking.....maybe ill just go catch some small mouth bass....?

Walmart has Tulammo for $4.97/20. If you're shooting an AK I dont think it will have any problems with Tulammo's steel case. My AK has never had any issues with it.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I hear a lot of +'s ...but I've also heard a LOT of -'s :dunno:

For me personally, I think the -'s outweight the positives when combined with the drive and prices. Of course, I have access to family's land which is closer and doesn't cost which aids in my personal decision.

It's only $6/hr. How can you complain about that? They also provide the target frame and panel to affix your target to, which a lot of free ranges don't, and have good benches and a cover in case it rains. It's hard to beat for a rifle range really.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    It's only $6/hr. How can you complain about that? They also provide the target frame and panel to affix your target to, which a lot of free ranges don't, and have good benches and a cover in case it rains. It's hard to beat for a rifle range really.

I was going to bring these up as well. Atterbury is a nice complex, I hear some people crying about it but i have never had a problem from the staff. Did have a guy not understand what don't touch your weapon during cease fire means. After being told at least 15 times he finally looked around with a "who me" look on his face. I politely said out loud that there were plenty of people there who would point guns at him if that was what he wanted.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    Atterbury is a great place to shoot. Not very expensive, good hours, and safe. It's also a great place to buy reloading supplies. We shoot there all the time.

Dave

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I'm not familiar with it. Never been. Like I said, I go to personal property so that I can run whatever drills I want without frightening someone. BUT, I've heard that they have some "retarded" range rules and some safety officer there flies off the handle easily. :dunno:

I agree that $6/hr is not bad, but there is another range which is of equal distance and allows high powered rifles with 100yd range. It's a really cheap yearly membership and there is rarely anyone ever there. I'll stick to that one and personal property myself.

Top Bottom