• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Atterbury is a great range. It's a very well controlled range though, and that tends to get some folks shorts in a bunch. We've shot there hundreds of times over the last couple of years and never had a bad experience. There were weeks when we did three trips over the course of a couple of days. The controlled nature can limit the value of the practice, such as no holster work or double tap drills, but the rules are posted and are consistently adhered to.

mizzi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Broad Ripple
    I live in broad ripple, both atterbury and Wilbur wright are 1 hour away and within a couple miles distance.

Wilbur wright, I've ammo dumped like nobody's business out there, the dnr officer is either asleep in the truck or nonexistent, (and even when they are there they've never asked me to slow down), you call your own cease fires, and if you want to shoot more than 50 yards bring something to post your target to, it is free, in fact it's nearly a free for all, you never know for sure walking downrange if chambers are empty or if someone is going to start handling or reloading while you are downrange

Atterbury, very structured, very safe, cheap to shoot, great prices on ammo (surprise), you can get a grumpy range officer, at least a second between shots (and he can be at the other end of the range, and he still knows who did it), nicer benches and headcover, brooms to pick up brass, scheduled cease fires whether you like it or not, and you can't reload during a ceasefire even behind the line with your firearm sitting on the bench with an empty, open chamber, the ceasefires take awhile too especially if here are a lot of people there (more chambers to check), overall better, safer facility but it costs $ too

I use both depending on the day and time and what I wish to shoot. Both have friendly staff (as long as your following rules at atterbury) that like to talk about what your shooting and your experience with it. One day out a Wilbur wright, I was shooting my fully upgraded sig 556R, and without asking, you could just tell the dnr officer was dying for me to offer to shoot it.

There are other ranges too, generally farther away, bu they will stretch you past a 100 yards too. If family property is an option, that's a no brainer, but alas I would have to travel even farther for that... Makes those trips home tough to pack for... Do we take the baby stroller or 3 rifle cases and a few 1000 rounds of ammo?!? Luckily I just bought a stroller to leave up there!!!

Top Bottom