• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Don't worry guys, the OP from that thread has started a few dozen other threads about gay people you can participate in.

Yeah, I've noticed that he is using standard trolling tactics of starting new threads with just a link to an emotionally-charged story and no comments of his own, and then he vanishes, never participating in the thread again. It's amazing that the patterns are always the same, even across multiple demographics. I could write a research paper on the subject.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yeah, I've noticed that he is using standard trolling tactics of starting new threads with just a link to an emotionally-charged story and no comments of his own, and then he vanishes, never participating in the thread again. It's amazing that the patterns are always the same, even across multiple demographics. I could write a research paper on the subject.

Maybe he's writing his/her own research paper. There definitely is a certain pattern to the responses to such threads.:twocents:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Maybe he's writing his/her own research paper. There definitely is a certain pattern to the responses to such threads.:twocents:

Every once in awhile, INGO comes to the attention of some special-interest group. It's a full time job protecting INGO from them. For example, (you know what, we'll just say "a website known for racist content". I don't want to give them free publicity.) took an interest in us once and sent a couple of...representatives...to come join us. They spent an awful lot of time and effort to foster an awful lot of racial hatred before they were finally banned. They were very careful to stay just this side of the line, while at the same time being incredibly ban-worthy. I'm sad to say that they had a significant number of supporters before the hammer finally fell. Their careful attention to the rules combined with their popularity makes it very difficult to ban without creating a major ****storm from the rest of the members, who then blame the mods for being "capricious" and "power hungry" and so forth. I've always said that most members don't know a tenth of what goes on behind the scenes and that's still true.

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Oh, and to add to the special-interest group thing, we've seen some of the threads on their home boards where they organize their crusades. Many of them are frighteningly well-prepared, with complete playbooks and scripts. It's actually pretty amazing watching them manipulate entire groups of INGO members. I am absolutely 100% convinced that we have some active here at any given time.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County

There are two new threads: one about duck penis and other about gay NFL members. :ugh:

msk

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Oh, and to add to the special-interest group thing, we've seen some of the threads on their home boards where they organize their crusades. Many of them are frighteningly well-prepared, with complete playbooks and scripts. It's actually pretty amazing watching them manipulate entire groups of INGO members. I am absolutely 100% convinced that we have some active here at any given time.

I am sure we all agree that you guys do work hard on the forum moderation. I have been in your position with 2 other forums so I know how you feel. I can say with confidence however that the last thread was not full of slurs. I think most of us here are at least above that level!:D

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Interesting! I guess I shouldn't be surprised but I am. Just another example of behavior that some people seem to come by naturally that I never think of, I suppose. I'm naturally curious as to how you guys figured these people out.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Interesting! I guess I shouldn't be surprised but I am. Just another example of behavior that some people seem to come by naturally that I never think of, I suppose. I'm naturally curious as to how you guys figured these people out.

When someone comes onto a site and starts talking a lot about things that have little to do with what that site is about it's not difficult to track down other sites that cater to those interests and lurk a bit to see what's going on. When we got our trolls from that racist site it was pretty obvious what they were doing based on posts they had over there bragging about the sites they were "spreading their gospel" on.

Further, some of us regularly lurk on places like *chan where "raiding" other websites is discussed all of the time.

It's tiresome games by people who either have an agenda to push, or who are bored in life and get their jollies being vandals or who have a vendetta against a site or who are just so poorly socialized that their attention seeking behavior can't manifest itself in socially useful ways instead.

And it works without effective moderation because on any site there are a subset of regular contributors whose buttons are easily pushed and who will go full Yeager easily, which then draws the lurkers out of the woodwork, and eventually the site becomes completely useless for its original purpose.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    And it works without effective moderation because on any site there are a subset of regular contributors whose buttons are easily pushed and who will go full Yeager easily, which then draws the lurkers out of the woodwork, and eventually the site becomes completely useless for its original purpose.

The single biggest problem, as I mentioned above, is that you can't just outright ban them or the rest of the members start freaking out and screaming at the staff. We KNOW what they're doing, but if the staff takes action, they're just censoring free speech. Because, apparently, they're just supposed to let people do whatever they hell they want. :rolleyes:

I had the "Innocent Card" played on me dozens of times. "What? I haven't broken the rules! I just posted this link to a story about Muslims raping dogs and left no commentary of my own. What did I do wrong? I'm just posting news stories!" Yeah, I'm not buying that.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The single biggest problem, as I mentioned above, is that you can't just outright ban them or the rest of the members start freaking out and screaming at the staff. We KNOW what they're doing, but if the staff takes action, they're just censoring free speech. Because, apparently, they're just supposed to let people do whatever they hell they want. :rolleyes:

I had the "Innocent Card" played on me dozens of times. "What? I haven't broken the rules! I just posted this link to a story about Muslims raping dogs and left no commentary of my own. What did I do wrong? I'm just posting news stories!" Yeah, I'm not buying that.

So how do you track them back to those sites?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    ..................And it works without effective moderation because on any site there are a subset of regular contributors whose buttons are easily pushed and who will go full Yeager easily, which then draws the lurkers out of the woodwork, and eventually the site becomes completely useless for its original purpose.

Now there's a name I've not heard in a long, long time. A long time.

/\ not true.

Top Bottom