• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Loganwildman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Logansport
    I was at the west side Walmart in Evansville on Friday morning and observed a gent Oc'ing while looking for a mothers day card with his wife. My only thought was "Dang, is he afraid of what his wife will do if he picks out the wrong MIL card?" lol
    Seriously, It was cool to see and I did not observe anyone fretting about it or scurring away quickly.
    Then I CC'd my Sigma while riding the bike back to Logansport, and when I stopped and removed my leather jacket was then Oc'ing while at gas stations and a hot dog stand. And no one seemed to pay me any attention. It was kinda cool.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Brown Co State Park, was pretty busy and I noticed a lot of double takes and several grimaces sent my way, but all in all, passing me on the trails was a polite and pleasant experience so hopefully a few hundred more that will eventually realize, they can see someone with a gun and have it mean nothing more than the fact I had bug spray and sunscreen on.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Went to Lowe's 3 times yesterday while OC. Took the boys to Hallmark to get a card for Mother's day. On the way out of Hallmark, I passed the lady in this thread https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/213037-drama_at_the_polls.html who was freaking out at the polls saying "OH MY" and calling me a crazy man. She saw me and threw a dirty look my way. I chuckled a little. Then took the boys to King's Buffet for lunch. Later that night, went to Wings, Etc. No problems all day.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Brown Co State Park, was pretty busy and I noticed a lot of double takes and several grimaces sent my way, but all in all, passing me on the trails was a polite and pleasant experience so hopefully a few hundred more that will eventually realize, they can see someone with a gun and have it mean nothing more than the fact I had bug spray and sunscreen on.

OC'd my Ruger Single Six there a couple of years ago during the fall season. No problems then either. No other hikers really noticed. If they did, they didn't react.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Local feed store, best buy on 30 and 65 (for several hours), kohls, meijers....finally, gander mountain on 30 in Merrillville. For the last I want to give a tip of my hat. As I walked in I noticed a sign that said the following. "All firearms that are brought in to be serviced must be unloaded and in a case. This does not apply to concealed carry and open carry firearms that are carried by licensed owners" I cruised around the store for about a half an hour, several employees noticed my firearm and returned nothing but a smile.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    OC to Church, ENCOUNTER!

Ever since we switched churches due to some drama, my wife and I have carried weapons to our new church. She has hers concealed in a purse, and I Open Carry on my hip. Sometimes at 3 o'clock, sometimes at 4 or 5, depending on my mood and what pants I decide to wear. (Beltloops sometimes determine this. Gives me something else to watch out for when buying pants.). Normally, I have a jacket or a suit on, so my sidearm is partially covered and out of sight. Friends and family know I carry, and they know I keep it with me just about everywhere.

Since yesterday was such a nice day, I went without a jacket, so my gun was their in very evident display. We arrive at church and get out of the car. We light up a cigarette to smoke before going inside. As we're standing out in the parking lot, one of our friends comes rushing out. He sees us and acts like he just about had a heart attack. He then calmly walks over to us and informs that they had just gotten a MWAG message and that they needed to check it out ASAP.

Aside from not calling the police if they were REALLY worried about it, I wondered about the intelligence of running out into the middle of a parking lot when you suspect a mad gunman standing there, but I just smiled and responded, "Nope, just us. It's in it's holster."

Our friend then calmly explained that several people voiced concern over seeing a firearm and having it visible to children at church. I questioned the ethics and morality of practicing religion (1st amendment) while saying bearing arms (2nd obviously) isn't allowed. I then asked if we were going to be illegally searched when we entered, and the response was, "No, of course not!"

After our friend fully understood that we had been carrying at the church for quite awhile now, and that since we had yet to turn into rabid wolves shooting up the flock, and that we had valid liscences, that we were legally okay. The response was, "Well, the church doesn't know you as well as I know you."

I then asked if the wife was going to have to disarm as well. Once again, I got a, "of course not!" reply. After giving him the look, he just raised his hands in the air and shook his head at the stupidity of the request. CC was allowed, since no one obviously knew about it, but OC made people too nervous. He hoped that I saw their argument and that I didn't have a problem complying with their request.

I informed him that I did in fact have a problem with it. Being legally liscensed and a member of the church that has regularly done more in the background than most members, I was being singled out as an OC'er. I told him that I'd make him a deal. Talk to the pastor and see what his request/requirements are, and I would abide by them (since he IS the legal representative of the property owner).

He went inside and a few minutes later came back. They wanted me to leave my sidearm in the car, but my wife was fine. Shaking my head, I unholstered and pointed my weapon in a safe direction, released my mag and unchambered my first round. I placed my firearm in our car, and resnapped my empty holster. Putting the full mags in my pants pocket, the wife and I entered the church.

So as not everyone is outraged, I did not completely disarm myself. I still had my knife, the wife had hers, and her weapons as well. We both carry the same caliber, so we now had more rounds for hers just in case.

After service, we had a nice conversation with the pastor. He explained the nervousness of some of the flock due to not knowing me as well, and the ridiculousness of the request to remove one weapon, yet be able to keep the other. We discussed that this topic would be discussed at the next board meeting and an official policy put in place. I informed him of the existence of INGO, and that I would be more than happy to speak to the board or get him up to speed on applicable IC. If I didnt know an answer to a question, I would get him one.

His last comment was about how some of the church expected god to be the only protection they need at church. (I know, I know, we've ALL see the news stories, etc.) Here is how I replied...

Of course God is the protection we need at the church. He is the shepherd that watches over the flock. But sometimes he uses sheepdogs to keep an eye out at watch over things to help him out. The sheep can't really tell the difference between the wolves and the sheepdogs, but the sheepdogs do. The sheepdogs are the ones that watch out for the sheep and their lambs, and will be the first ones in to defend them.:twocents:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    TaunTaun, that is an interesting issue you had. I CC to church (my own decision) but them KNOWING your wife had a gun and letting her keep it and making you disarm makes about as much sense as a Baptist in a liquer store...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom