Where did your addiction begin and with what firearms (handguns)?!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I grew up on a farm where hunting and shooting was a part of everyday life!
    After college, in 1992, I purchased my first handgun, a Ruger Single-Six with both cylinders.
    Mostly revolvers at first, and procured my first semi-auto, a Glock 23, on 9/11...but only because that's the day it arrived at the LGS.
    And things just sort of proceeded from there...

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    My dad (KIA '72) had tons of Field Manuals laying around. We were poor so that became entertainment when you could only pick up ch 6, 8 & 13 in Kokomo. I still have an old Weapons of the World that my dad kept in 'Nam that was sent home with his body and personal effects.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I grew up in an anti-gun household but was always a huge nerd for Rainbow Six games, airsoft, and other gun bro stuff. I didn't buy an actual gun until my mid-20s when I was at IU. Started with, of all things, a Pietta 1858 black powder revolver. It went straight into a drawer where the parents wouldn't find it and stayed there for a year while I procrastinated actually shooting it for the first time. Eventually I decided that I had to be serious and get a "real" gun, and I walked into a store and bought a Ruger SR22 and some Federal AutoMatch. Again, stuffed into the drawer to stay hidden. :rolleyes:

I started shooting by sneaking out to Hoosier National Forest, hiking as far as I could get from anyone and anything, and self-teaching by shooting at paper targets stuck into hillsides with sticks. Then came trips to Atterbury to shoot on a real range. First CCW experience was an evening walk around the neighborhood with my SR22 in my coat pocket. Then came the 10/22, and the 12 gauge, the milsurp addiction, CCW experimentation, and finally the AR building. My closet and the space under my bed were full of hastily concealed long guns. Then I started going to matches. Then I graduated IU and moved out and it was really off to the races.

Oh, and along the way I corrupted my little brother and now he shoots and carries, too. My family's anti-gun ideology has a 66% failure rate.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    My "addiction" probably began a bit different than most? My first "gun" was a toy gun I got for Christmas in 1967. I was 5 years old. It was a plastic M1 Garand. Mom and Dad have pictures of me un-wrapping it. The toy Garand and cowboy westerns set the fire for me. It has been burning ever since. Wish I still had that toy Garand.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've had a fascination with guns since before I even had one and had to use my imagination when playing "Army" or "Cowboys and Indians" with my friends and making our own sound effects. My first "gun" was just an air gun - It was a Daisy and looked just like the Red Ryder, but it didn't shoot anything but a blast of air. My mom still tells people the story about me using it to shoot all the heads off Dad's petunias in one of the flowerbeds. She thought Dad would be mad, but all he said was, "Looks like you're a pretty good shot!" :):

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Fun thread ! :) My father was very good at recording our family history through photographs. This is a photo of me in 1955, with my sister looking-on. No wonder that I still like six-shooters, and cowboy hats !

i-Nz3r9fB-M.jpg

The boyfriend of that same sister gave me a BB gun when I was about 10 yrs. old. It was a bribe, in fact .... to keep me busy in the basement shooting telephone books, while he and my sister made-out on the couch. It worked for all of us, with the exception of my parents, who weren't too happy about the BB gun (or my sister) ! :):

My first real firearm was actually a 22-250 rifle. When the caliber was first introduced, I was fascinated with it, as I was reading all the outdoor, and hunting magazines. I wasn't old enough to purchase it, but my older brother did, and left it for me when he left for the Army. I had to be very sneaky, because my parents didn't know that I kept it hidden in my closet. I think that I was 14 yrs. old. I wish that I still had that rifle !

During one of my first 'leaves' from the Air Force, I purchased my first handgun .... directly from the infamous Don, of Don's Guns. It was a Model 19 S&W (nickel plated), and immediately after I discharged from the Air Force, I acquired my first Indiana LTCH (to carry that model 19) ..... and I've maintained a license ever since.

Now, at almost 70, I enjoy shooting a variety of weaponry whenever I can. Like most of us on INGO, it's been a lifelong passion.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Fun thread ! :) My father was very good at recording our family history through photographs. This is a photo of me in 1955, with my sister looking-on. No wonder that I still like six-shooters, and cowboy hats !

i-Nz3r9fB-M.jpg

The boyfriend of that same sister gave me a BB gun when I was about 10 yrs. old. It was a bribe, in fact .... to keep me busy in the basement shooting telephone books, while he and my sister made-out on the couch. It worked for all of us, with the exception of my parents, who weren't too happy about the BB gun (or my sister) ! :):

My first real firearm was actually a 22-250 rifle. When the caliber was first introduced, I was fascinated with it, as I was reading all the outdoor, and hunting magazines. I wasn't old enough to purchase it, but my older brother did, and left it for me when he left for the Army. I had to be very sneaky, because my parents didn't know that I kept it hidden in my closet. I think that I was 14 yrs. old. I wish that I still had that rifle !

During one of my first 'leaves' from the Air Force, I purchased my first handgun .... directly from the infamous Don, of Don's Guns. It was a Model 19 S&W (nickel plated), and immediately after I discharged from the Air Force, I acquired my first Indiana LTCH (to carry that model 19) ..... and I've maintained a license ever since.

Now, at almost 70, I enjoy shooting a variety of weaponry whenever I can. Like most of us on INGO, it's been a lifelong passion.

Very cool story! Thanks for sharing! And thanks for being an Airman! My son is career Air Force.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I've had a fascination with guns since before I even had one and had to use my imagination when playing "Army" or "Cowboys and Indians" with my friends and making our own sound effects. My first "gun" was just an air gun - It was a Daisy and looked just like the Red Ryder, but it didn't shoot anything but a blast of air. My mom still tells people the story about me using it to shoot all the heads off Dad's petunias in one of the flowerbeds. She thought Dad would be mad, but all he said was, "Looks like you're a pretty good shot!" :):

I had that same Daisy that just shot out a blast of air. My brother and I discovered that if you took the plastic plug out of the end and stuck the muzzle into the dirt then cocked and fired it.It would propel a dirt clod through the air. Lets just say my brother and I had many dirt clod/mud gunfights using these "air guns". Until Dad caught us. I am 58 now and still not sure I can feel my backside.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I had that same Daisy that just shot out a blast of air. My brother and I discovered that if you took the plastic plug out of the end and stuck the muzzle into the dirt then cocked and fired it.It would propel a dirt clod through the air. Lets just say my brother and I had many dirt clod/mud gunfights using these "air guns". Until Dad caught us. I am 58 now and still not sure I can feel my backside.
    Yes! I had forgotten all about that! :lmfao:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    My "addiction" probably began a bit different than most? My first "gun" was a toy gun I got for Christmas in 1967. I was 5 years old. It was a plastic M1 Garand. Mom and Dad have pictures of me un-wrapping it. The toy Garand and cowboy westerns set the fire for me. It has been burning ever since. Wish I still had that toy Garand.
    I had one of those Garands! wish I still had it too
    Mine started in the early 70's watching The Lone Range, The Cisco Kid, Pondarosa and Gunsmoke with my dad.
    He passed in 76, So it moved to my Uncle and cousins to teach me. Been shooting since I was about 8.
    Bought my first gun at 14, a Colt New Frontier .22 and mom got my brother and I our first rifles for Christmas at 16, Marlin 60's. Wish I still had that Colt!
    At 21 I bought my first carry gun, a S&W 66 ISP trade in(wish I still had that one too!) And got my LTCH that same year, been carrying ever since

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    When I was a kid my dad taught me to shoot, then my parents divorced. Then as a teen I was at a family members shooting clay with a double barrel shotgun. One shell went off and the other didn’t. As I was pulling the gun up, I still had my finger on the trigger and it went off. I was sorta scared of them for years. I didn’t have a good relationship with my dad for many years and was rebuilding it. I wanted to get over my fear and he had some so I asked him to take me to the range. I got over my fear and got my first, a Walter p22 at the original top guns location. He has since became a prohibited person from owning firearms so I got all his. Got the original marlin 22 and 410 shotgun I learned to shoot on plus a 410 that was my grandpas. I have sold a few of his (revolvers) for other firearms and parts and gave my brother a 9mm handgun. By giving my brother the handgun, he got into the act and now has as many firearm as I do.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My father use to sit up late and watch them old WWII movies sometimes I'd wake up and he would hold me while watching them until I fell asleep again. My 1st firearm I got to use was a savage 1904 22lr. I shot it a lot. I was around 7yo then. My mother had a Smith and Wesson 357 magnum she would let me shoot by 10yo, at 14 dad let me shoot his ruger Blackhawk 44mag. My 1st hunting rifle was a Japanese 7.7. Then my uncle came down with a Ruger P89. It was the 1st semiautomatic I had ever shot. That pistol made me fall in love with semiautomatic firearms. He also brought his M1 Garand that was another amazing firearm for a 14yo who had never shot anything but revolvers and bolt action rifles. My second deer rifle was a Winchester 30 30. Loved that gun. But gave it to my grandfather as a gift. That was around 16yo. At 17 I joined the Army with my parents consent, and that just increased the desire to own more firearms. I love a good shooting rifle. If I can't get it to shoot 1 moa at 100 yards it gets sold its just my way. Now to find a shotgun that could shoot that good lol.

Thats the quick short version. I blame my uncle to this day he was also a reloader and he got me hooked on that too.

Nhinkle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2020
    Shelbyville
    I fear that mine has just started. I just bought a marlin 1894sbl and have since created a list of other caliber firearms I “must” have lol. Already have marked a couple off my list, .22, and .223

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Had toy guns as a kid, remember having a plastic M16 when my cousin was in Vietnam. My 3 brothers and I were not allowed to have a BB gun though, probally would have "shot our eyes out" My folks weren't anti-gun, just didn't see the need. When I was 21, moved out and bought a tube fed marlin .22. In 1990 or so, was at the gun store with a buddy and was handling a 1911. Buddy talked me into buying it, even loaned me the money to do so. Within a few months, bought an officers model and have been buying ever since. Something about the metalwork and a "machine that is powered by an explosion" just captures my imagination and keeps me coming back.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    August 1974 - the week Nixon resigned. Visiting my aunt and uncle in Chicago. I was almost 7 years old and my uncle decided to take my brother and me to shoot. Went to what I remember as a small gun store that had a range in the basement. Shot a S&W Md 66 and a Ruger 10/22. Hooked.

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    My first gun was a single shot bolt action 22 in the early 70's and then a single shot Stevens 410 my dad got me. Killed a lot of squirrels with that 410. That started my gun fever addiction. Had many hand guns over the years 1911, Python's, rugers, contenders and Smiths. Bought a new smith model 29 back in the early 80's took a few deer with it then put it back in the box and that is where it stayed. I am flying out to Utah for Christmas with my son and plan on giving it to him for Christmas. One day I hope he will pass it down to my grandson.
    As far as collecting I still love contenders, rugers and Smith's. I wish I still had some of the ones I used to have but like others they went when bills needed to be paid.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    CanÂ’t remember a time I was not gun crazy. Dad passed away when I was young so my uncle would take me and my cousin out shooting. Mom did not want me to even have a BB gun, so I shot my friends. She said if you want BB gun then you will have to buy it. Then I had to wait till I was 16, Indiana laws, so I saved up and said Mom letÂ’s go to Kmart so I can buy a BB gun, pretty good shot with it. One best things for kid was getting a sack of cans, standing on bridge, throw cans in creek and shoot at moving targets until they sank before they got they got too far away.
    What really got me going in the handgun world was the 45acp! The first one was a XD45 sold that, no regrets, then a Sig GSR 1911 that is soooo accurate. Absolutely love 1911Â’s. Then I come across the CZ75 interested to see where that goes.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy

My obsession also started with toy guns. I had so many, like my own private arsenal. Cap gun six shooters, flintlocks, a wooden bolt-action that when you cycled the action, there was a gold-painted "round" visible, and my 2 pride and joys, the Mattel M-16 Marauder and a Star Trek phaser that I built from a model kit. All my friends had toy guns, and we played a lot of cowboys and Indians, cops and robbers, and especially Vietnam, because my best friend had a brother in Vietnam. An Infantryman. He made it home in one piece, thank God.

Little did I know back then how much money this would end up costing me later in life. :abused:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I had a Daisy 880 as a kid that I terrorized all manner of local fauna with. Never really had guns in the house growing up, though my Dad grew up hunting with them, he had no interest. (to this day, my extended family mostly views guns as once-a-year devices you take out with your "shells" to get your deer with). I think my uncle still hunts with the .243 he had back then or the 30-30 he'd have my cousin shoot.

I had a couple "gun experiences" in high school and college. It was fun and I really enjoyed them. My college roommate invited me to his place for Thanksgiving once and his younger brother did cowboy action shooting. Much wheelgun plinking fun was had.

I didn't buy my first gun of my own until I early 2010s. G22 and the gen 4s had just come out. I really wanted a G20 but they were taking so long to introduce the Gen 4 G20 that I went with a G22. The 2010s started with me buying my first firearm just for home defense. They are ending with me building ARs, Building bolt rifles, match shooting, and precision reloading.

So I was late to the party, but I've been making up for lost time best I can.

Top Bottom