Where do Indiana schools get their money?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    I thought I recently heard that schools no longer get any money from property taxes, but from the state. Is this true? Also, what are some other sources of funding for schools?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Seems to cost me more and more each year.

A dollar here for this, out of hand sanitizer can you send that and kleenex in. dozen cookies for a play party. The endless fundraisers than sell junk for expensive prices and the kid gets a piece of junk something for selling it. 2 dollars a day lunch, 25 cent popcorn days, School supplies that include dry erase markers for the teachers use (How many dry erase markers can one teacher use in a year.) The school went paperless and then want me to print out permission slips for field trips and such.

School is expensive being it is basically indoctrination of ideas that I do not fully believe. Like Columbus discovered the America's, New math (I have always added subtracted and divided the old way just fine).

End of rant.

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    School is expensive being it is basically indoctrination of ideas that I do not fully believe. Like Columbus discovered the America's, New math (I have always added subtracted and divided the old way just fine).

No doubt! My wife is second grade teacher. She explained the new math to me and I was like, "What?!" Seems parents can't help with homework either, because they don't know how to do it.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I thought I recently heard that schools no longer get any money from property taxes, but from the state. Is this true? Also, what are some other sources of funding for schools?

It depends. Some districts get nearly 100% of their funding from property taxes; other districts get school funding from sources other than property taxes.

FWIW - the inventory tax we repealed a few years ago (before the property tax upheaval) also went to school funding in most jurisdictions (again, some more than others). When that vacuum was created, it had to be made up somewhere (assuming spending was constant).

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Property taxes.

Every time I write that check I get to see how much I'm actually writing my local public school system.

Then I look at the private school bill for one of my children and notice that it is smaller.

Then I wonder why I continue to be forced to pay for services I don't use.

Then I wonder what would happen if people had that money to spend how they pleased and what sort of changes that may force of the school system. Maybe a school nobody wanted to send their kids to attend would close. Maybe the good ones' enrollment would increase and get more money because their customers (parents) are more satisfied.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Schools submit their budget to the local government, who then submit it to the state. The state will then set property tax rates to cover the budget. The state then collects the property tax, and re-distrubutes it back to the local government who then distribute it to the schools.

Schools also get money from the Federal government through grants, and No child left behind, and deparment of education. That money is collected from your employer, who sends it to the local IRS office, who sends it to the DC IRS office, who sends it back to the state, who sends it to the local government, who sends it to the school.

Every time the money changes hands, someone takes their cut. Sounds like a really efficient way of running things, doesn't it?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Property taxes.

Every time I write that check I get to see how much I'm actually writing my local public school system.

Then I look at the private school bill for one of my children and notice that it is smaller.

Then I wonder why I continue to be forced to pay for services I don't use.

Then I wonder what would happen if people had that money to spend how they pleased and what sort of changes that may force of the school system. Maybe a school nobody wanted to send their kids to attend would close. Maybe the good ones' enrollment would increase and get more money because their customers (parents) are more satisfied.

I expect if we were able to do that, we'd have "grade creep" or other non-educational ways to boost a school's popularity rating. That might keep marginal schools going awhile longer, but, like some colleges and universities, it probably wouldn't help the students get a quality education.

Top Bottom