• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skulhedface

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    east indy
    Reading through some of the Ukraine survivors stories and it brought my post Katrina Gulfport experience back to the front of my mind. Tarps and plastic sheeting were the only items that were gone within minutes of unloading them from the relief trucks.

Obviously these things aren't too hard to come by here and now. Where do you think you can get the best deal or value on them? Do the harbor freight ones last long? Any good local source for UV resistant clear plastic sheeting?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have purchased several extra large blue tarps from Rural King in the past. I went for the cheaper ones as these are reserve for roof covers in the event of a tree falling, earthquake, etc. I figure once installed, they won't have a lot of stress or handling so the thinner ones will suffice. Also have lath strips to nail them down. Shelter wise, I got a couple heavy duty ones from Sportsmansguide or CTD years ago that are OD green on one side and space blanket mylar on the other.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Big Box hardware stores probably have a decent selection at good prices.

Heavy duty contractor plastic sheeting is probably easy to find there. Plastic drop sheets used for painting are another option, although much thinner.

I don't know about finding heavy plastic that's completely clear. Most of it will be that milky color.

Strug

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    West Indy
    I think I got some tarps from Menards. I have a two-pack (can't remember size) that's unopened that I keep in my truck. I think I recall them being a pretty good deal, but it's been a few years.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    I think I got some tarps from Menards. I have a two-pack (can't remember size) that's unopened that I keep in my truck. I think I recall them being a pretty good deal, but it's been a few years.

Probably the 8' x 10". They were buy one get one for $0.99 a couple of years back. I bought 4 of those. The 6' x 8' go on sale for $2.99 from time to time. The 6' x 8' seemed to be the perfect size to throw in a pack to make a tent with later.

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    JTs warehouse on Brookville road just east of 465 has a ton of different sizes and colors for decent prices. They have some other preps at decent prices as well. It's kind of like a harbor freight meets big lots.

(I am in no way affliated with them. Im just a cheap sob lol)

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Harbor Freight has the best prices I've seen on tarps. I've got a couple from there and they hold up well to weather.

Ward250

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2015
    Down South
    A good source for UV resistant plastic sheeting would be wholesale greenhouse supply companies. Big operations buy it by the mile for strawberries etc.

Ward250

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2015
    Down South
    A good source for UV resistant plastic sheeting would be wholesale greenhouse supply companies. Big operations buy it by the mile for strawberries etc.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Heavy duty contractor plastic sheeting is probably easy to find there. Plastic drop sheets used for painting are another option, although much thinner.

Skip the painting aisle. Get the 10' by 50' roll of plastic sheeting. The roll is about 2 1/2 feet wide until you unfold it. Just leave it folded, cut it into the length you want (now or when you need it) and you have a decent quality sheet of plastic.

Ward250

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2015
    Down South
    Sun (UV) is hard on tarps, I prefer 6mil landscape plastic sheeting or canvas tarps. Depends on the application, how much wind and sun I expect to hit it.

skulhedface

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    east indy
    Thanks for all the responses. Guess I'll give those harbor freight tarps a shot. Mostly looking for roof and window coverage. Perhaps an impromptu greenhouse, never know.

Top Bottom