• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ticktwrter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    With the way things are going in this world, I am looking to get a tactical vest with side plates that will withstand a rifle round. I saw a vendor at the South Bend gun show a few weeks ago but lost his card. Anyone have any suggestions for places to get good but hopefully not too expensive vests?

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    If you want to stop a rifle, you are looking at Level III or IV.

You need to decide what exactly you want and how much you are willing to pay for it. You can start at http://www.thetargetman.com/ which carries everything from AR500 plates to the uber high-tech ceramic-composite plates to get an idea of the differences. AR500 Armor - Body Armor, Ballistic Plates, and Trauma Plates is another common website.

IV8888 has done several tests with both various armor from these sites so you can get an idea on what they can do.

ticktwrter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    I'm looking for something for active shooter or encountering someone armed with a rifle. I'm not looking to wear this every day just to augment my normal body armor

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    What are your most likely threats? AR500 is decent stuff, albeit heavy, but there is question as to whether it will stop close range M193. It handily stops most other threats, but is questionable on that particular round at short range. It is affordable, and available for the most part!

Overwatch

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2014
    Putnam County
    There are many competing considerations. First to consider is price, then weight, then thickness.

• Steel armor is heavy, but thin. Its usually the least expensive option. Thin is good because it prevents your gear from protruding away from you. Thin is bad (sometimes) because it offers less spall protection and many popular plate carriers are not made to work as well with armor plates that are not thick (they are too "baggy" with thin plates inside).
    • Ceramic armor is a combination of lighter weight, good spall protection, and medium thickness. Good ceramic armor can be very expensive. Surplus ceramic plates are easy to come by, are relatively inexpensive, and have plenty of life in them. Some Ceramic Armor is stand-alone. Some Ceramic armor is designed to be worn in-conjunction with IIIa soft armor.
    • Composite Armor (sometimes a polypropylene or something like Dyneema) is usually the lightest, but is often not as effective against some of the hotter cartridges (M855 as an example). It is sometimes thicker as well, but it does provide credible rifle protection with very light plates. Some Composite Armor is stand-alone. Some Composite Armor is designed to be worn in-conjunction with IIIa soft armor.

These are some of the choices you have to consider. Also consider: what are you willing to spend -- how much is "part-time" armor worth to you? How much will you train with it? Are you accustomed to armor from 'another life" -- for example, were you a soldier before you were ticktwrter -- what are you accustomed to?

Bottom line: You will either regret spending good money on good armor and sitting it in your trunk for years; or your will regret not getting the best you could find on that day when duty calls. Only you can answer that. But you need to have that conversation with yourself before you buy.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    We stock a few sizes of AR500 plates cut to fit carriers.

8x10 with a shooter's cut - $30
    10x12 with a shooter's cut - $35
    11x14 with a shooter's cut - $42

We can cut side plates or different sizes if you wish.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    ^^ WOW, thats a great deal. Is that price for curved plates, or flat? ^^

I'm looking for something for active shooter or encountering someone armed with a rifle. I'm not looking to wear this every day just to augment my normal body armor

AR500 sells their "Urban Go" package (front / back carrier and 2 plates) for SUB $200 with flat plates, and +40$ for curved plates. Thats what I have on order to suplement my soft armor. - something that you can just throw over your head and add rifle protection.

ALSO, note that while steel armor is heavier than ceramic, we are usually only talking about 1 pound heavier for steel per plate. It makes a difference at the end of a long day, but not really for one or two hours in my experience.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom