• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Promised my little girl we would get a couple of new chickens this year. She wants "Easter Egg" chickens (the ones with blue or green tinted egg shells). Not sure what breed that really is. We don't really want to deal with chicks, either. Prefer something at or near laying age, that we can put in with the existing birds pretty quickly.

Anyone have a good source in central-ish Indiana?

Anyone have 2 or 3 six or eight month old Easter Eggers they want to give me? ;) Never hurts to ask....

dirtfarmerz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Henry County
    Araucana hens lay the "blue or green" tinted eggs.

It's still a little cold outside to keep chicks warm in a tub with a lamp. If you keep them in a tub in the house for a few weeks they will be more tame, but Araucana chickens are not the friendliest chickens. They also don't lay very many eggs.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Ive gotten all of mine right before laying age(started laying within a month). Got all of them through ads on craigslist. 2 out of my 6 are Araucanas that lay green/blue eggs. Had them over a year now and even during the winter months(no artificial light or heat source) and still managed at minimum half dozen eggs from the Araucanas every week. Last summer i got a dozen a week from the two. Maybe i got lucky but the Araucanas have laid eggs very well for me. Also check any local farms, they might be willing to give up a few.

Top Bottom