• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    So there's a thread about cats, and that reminded me of something I've been meaning to ask for awhile. I run on average 20 miles per week, all outdoors. I've come across my fair share of dogs, some strays, most being walked by dead beat owners who think leash laws don't apply to them.

So, if one of these dogs were to get aggressive, what's the best way to shoot them? (for lack of a better way to ask)

Aim for the head? Aim for the body? Legally do I have to wait to be bitten before it would be obvious self defense?And how would you deal with multiple dogs?

I may think about this too much, but when out on hour solo runs I need something to think about!

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    i dont think its a bad question to be addressed. what i will say is that, in general, the human population is probably a bigger threat to you.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Chest ideally. Dog skulls can be very tough to penetrate, breed dependent. Pit bulls, for example. Also be aware that even a lethal wound often isn't an instant stop. I had to shoot a pit that was foaming at the mouth, through and through the chest with a 12 gauge. It fell, then got back up and ran. Don't assume down means it's over.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I love most all animals and wouldn't shoot a dog unless I was certain I was going to get chomped or essentially the same standard for shooting a bad guy: I would have to believe my life was in certain danger.

But since the heart is far too small and brain as well - id try for center of chest - only because I'd assume Chomper is coming straight at me to attack.

069%20Internal%20anatomy%20of%20a%20dog.jpg

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Chest ideally. Dog skulls can be very tough to penetrate, breed dependent. Pit bulls, for example. Also be aware that even a lethal wound often isn't an instant stop. I had to shoot a pit that was foaming at the mouth, through and through the chest with a 12 gauge. It fell, then got back up and ran. Don't assume down means it's over.

Deer do that all the time.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If I have a dog coming at me I'm aiming low, should strike chest or head......and learned hunting chucks many yrs ago with handgun..............you don't pop once and see what your effect was (hit and down the hole is scored as a miss).

Hammer them repeatedly and then see how good you did :)

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    Present your weak arm and take the bite. Three rounds through the low-forward rib cage and if it's still hanging on to your arm, take a crossing shot through the neck, up high and near the base of the skull. If the dog's still chomping after that, you might consider turning the gun on yourself. Seriously though, I think you'll be in a much better fighting position (should it end up in court) if you're bitten and all your shots leave powder burns on the target.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Present your weak arm and take the bite.

I've actually done that when attacked by an Akita. Luckily it was winter, I had on a heavy coat and leather gloves. I still ended up with scars on my arm for years before they finally faded to the point you have to know they are there to see them. I won't do it again if I can get a shot off before taking a bite.

I'd recommend carrying a good can of pepper spray.

Pepper spray doesn't have the same affect on dogs as it does on people. Its not much different than spraying them with water. It may confuse them for a second, it may make them give a little sneeze, but don't count on it to stop them. Air horns seem to be the best non-lethal dog deterrent I've figured out so far.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    I've actually done that when attacked by an Akita.

I did that with a Boxer and it ended very poorly for him. Still got the scars, although they've grown faint over time. Personally, I wouldn't waste a single second worrying about getting damaged in a situation like that. Instead, getting damaged is just a given and my objective is to dole out more damage quicker than the other guy, or in this case, dog. There are innumerable ways to deal with a situation like this and every situation will be different. As always, my thoughts on the subject and about $5 will get you a coffee at Starbucks. :@ya:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The one time I had to shoot a bad dog, I shot it between the shoulder blades. Dropped pretty quick. Second shot went right behind the ear/head.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I was out for my first bike ride over the weekend. I was really caught off guard by a very large dog that was closing in on me very fast. Its fir was standing up all along its back and I was sure it was going to bite me. When he got to where his property met the road he ran along side me until he once ran into the end of his owners property. Turns out the dog was either incredibly well trained or had a very clear natural understanding of his territory. From what I saw of him and the way he behaved after I left I have little doubt that it would have been a nasty situation if I had been on his property.

The last thing I would ever want to do is shoot some ones dog if I could avoid it. I was thinking that maybe having the first couple of rounds being CCI shot shells with the rest being self defense loads so if I am in a unavoidable situation I may deflect the attack without having to use more lethal rounds. This would only be carried when I was hiking in the woods or on my bike

What are your guys thoughts on that idea?

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    I had a friend who was an avid bicycle rider. His solution to pesky dogs was a water bottle filed with ammonia. Worked very well as long as you remembered it did not have water in it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The last thing I would ever want to do is shoot some ones dog if I could avoid it. I was thinking that maybe having the first couple of rounds being CCI shot shells with the rest being self defense loads so if I am in a unavoidable situation I may deflect the attack without having to use more lethal rounds. This would only be carried when I was hiking in the woods or on my bike

What are your guys thoughts on that idea?

seasense_mini_pocket_airhorn_1304653_1_og.jpg

Easy to carry on a bicycle, cheap, very effective, no danger of ricochet, no concern of backstop, no collateral damage, no legal or ethical questions, no worries about aiming at a moving target from a moving platform, etc. etc. etc. This works.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've actually done that when attacked by an Akita. Luckily it was winter, I had on a heavy coat and leather gloves. I still ended up with scars on my arm for years before they finally faded to the point you have to know they are there to see them. I won't do it again if I can get a shot off before taking a bite.

I did that with a Boxer and it ended very poorly for him. Still got the scars, although they've grown faint over time. Personally, I wouldn't waste a single second worrying about getting damaged in a situation like that. Instead, getting damaged is just a given and my objective is to dole out more damage quicker than the other guy, or in this case, dog. There are innumerable ways to deal with a situation like this and every situation will be different. As always, my thoughts on the subject and about $5 will get you a coffee at Starbucks. :@ya:

If you're going to take the bite on your arm either by choice or necessity, why not use it as a lever to break its neck? It might not be easy to do, but it's may be more successful than trying to draw a weapon and use it with a large dog attached to your forearm.

Top Bottom