• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Sophmore in High School. 2 hour delay that morning due to fog (Lafayette). Watched some and then everyone watched TV while at school that day. Don't remember emotions really since I'm not that emotional. I assumed we would bomb whoever claimed responsibility and be done with it.

cumminspwrd02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I was in my senior year of high school in physics class. Teacher turned the TV on after the first tower was hit, we watched the seond one get hit and then saw one collapse. Thats all we did in school that day was watch the news. And I got gas in my truck after school on 9/11 and the price at the pump was $1.78 per gallon because everyone was panicing. It's went up from $1.09 to $1.78 in a few hours. I thought that was expensive then as a high school student!

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    I had the day off, had dropped the kids off at school and came home to relax! I was a single dad at that time who recently had moved from California to Indiana. I was on the phone with some sales guy, trying to order a computer when he mentioned that " a plane had crashed into the towers" I honestly didnt think anything of it at first....thought maybe some "small" plane had an accident and crashed, it happens...

I then turned on the TV and literally sat there with my jaw on the floor when I had actually seen what had happened!! I sat there all day staring in disbelief....such a sad day

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I was living in Boston and was at work at the Liberty Mutual headquarters. My boss was out of town and called me when the first tower was hit. I had just seen a History channel special on a plane hitting the Empire State Building years ago and thought it was ironic that I just saw a special on a horrible accident like that and was now witnessing the same thing. When the word came that the second tower had been hit, I didn't know what to think. Then I got the word that the Pentagon was hit. Then I realized we were under attack. Then I got the word that both planes flew out of Boston. Suddenly I looked around and realize these terrorists were in my neighborhood. Then I realized I was in one of the tallest buildings in Boston. I got out of there and skipped the public transportation system (remembering the public trans nerve gas attack in Japan) and literally walked two miles home. Boston was completely empty, like that final scene in "Devil's Advocate" where he is walking through an empty New York. The skies were also completely empty of aircraft, which is an eerie feeling in Boston. Blue police barriers had been put up around the Kennedy building as I walked by it - the tallest building in Boston. I walked to where my wife was working at the time, at a music shop in a very small building. It was a very low risk of a target so she elected to finish her shift before coming home. I asked her to walk home as it was a shorter distance for her. Every block, I looked for large vehicles parked in conspicuous places. When I got home, I called my parents to let them know everything was alright. I then got a call from a friend who's boss, Danny Lewin co-founder of Akami Networks, was on Flight 11. Danny Lewin was former Israeli Commando and since that time there was a story of a business class passenger on Flight 11 that resisted the terrorists and was stabbed and there is a theory that it was Danny Lewin. When I got home, I filled up containers with water and checked to see what food we had left (this was before I learned anything about prepping) and just sat and watched the news. I was pretty in shock the whole day and couldn't get it out of my head that these terrorists were literally living amongst my neighbors prior to this attack.

The next day, 9/12, was worse as I started talking to people at work who knew people that were lost in the Trade Towers. I spent the entire day, the next day, on the phones arranging cars, trains, limos, whatever to get our executive staff back to Boston as many were gone on conferences and had no transportation options. About noon, all hell broke loose as sirens blazed and I looked out the window and watched SWAT storm the Westin Copley Place Hotel. Came to find out later that the terrorists spent the night of 9/10 at the Westin Copley Place, one block from where I worked. That was really when I began considering the idea of bugging out. About a year later is when a Ranger introduced me to the concept of an E&E bag or a bug out bag as I learned since then what people without a military background call them. It made sense as I thought about the only viable way of travelling through Boston on 9/11 was on foot. Anyway, I won't be forgetting 9/11 any time soon.

Tim

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Senior year of high school. I was in the Warren Performing Arts Center listening to people give speeches about drinking and driving and the results of their nights actions... and wait to have sex untill married and those speeches. The underclassman were having Istep that week and seniors basically had a goof off day, but still had to attend.

About an hour into it or so, the news came in and they dropped the massive screen and put the tv on right as the second plane flew into the tower.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    7th grade history class we had a code red (lockdown) and the principal made an announcement of it and our teacher turned the TV on and thats when I saw the 2nd tower get hit we watched it all day my teacher said you will remember this day for the rest of your life just like her generation remembered pearl harbor many teachers chose to hide it from the students which is what made me mad

Elfboy26

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 18, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I was teaching 5th grade in Atlanta, GA. Parents were picking up their kids left and right. I had 2 kids in my room by the end of the day. The worst part was when a mom came in absolutely hysterical to get her child. Her husband was on the flight that hit the first tower. The kid wasn't in my room, but it was terrible to watch her grief all the same.

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    I was sitting in the dentist's chair getting my teeth cleaned and they had the radio playing. The dental hygenist and I talked about how it must have been a small plane that hit, and then we realized shortly thereafter that it wasn't pilot error because of plane #2.

Went to the office and watched things unfold on the television in the conference room with all of our other employees. We completely forgot about the new employee waiting down in the lobby who was reporting to work on her first day! Guess we didn't leave too bad of an impression because she still works there.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing your stories. I have really greatful that you have been willing to share your stories. We all have story to tell and we will never forget where we were. It changed my life. I will never forget.

YJBrian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Outside the Loop
    I was sitting in a hotel room with a coworker in Casablanca after spending 2 weeks in Morocco. Had just gotten back from a nice walk around downtown. Caught the news on the BBC channel just after the first plane hit. Like others, I realized what was happening after watching the second plane hit. Needless to say, it was a bit uncomfortable staying in a Muslim country for the next 18 hours. Spent the next week and a half in Paris trying to get home.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I was shaving when the first plane hit, wearing my blue robe. My mother called and told my wife, who told me, "Your mom called and said a plane crashed into the World Trade center or something." and I'm thinking, "Mom is nuts, why is she calling about this?"

We turned on the TV and within minutes -- BANG!!! -- in came the second plane.

Shortly thereafter, I was on my way to Walmart, where I filled my cart with this, that and the other. Then I hit the gas station with multiple 5 gallon gas cans. I can't remember if the plane that went down in PA did so on my way to Walmart or on the way back, but I decided I was chambering a round in every firearm I had once I got home. Kind of a silly thought, but I remember it clearly.

Three year old asked, "Why are those buildings on fire?" Long day...

Top Bottom