• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • squish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    South Bend area
    Where were you on the day that forever changed US history?

I was at FT. Hood sitting on the turret of my bradley with my (then) Platoon Leader, we had just finished zeroing our vehicle MILES gear (think lazer tag for the army). We were sitting there talking about the upcoming mission when we heard "FLASH, FLASH, FLASH!!! CLEAR THE NET!!!" over the radio. At that point I had been in the army just around 9 years and had never heard that before, but I knew it was going to be serious. We got the report that the first plane had hit the WTC, and I looked at my LT and we both had the same thoughts about that's a really bad day. Then the second round of FLASH traffic erupted over the net. At that point I turned to this poor young LT and said "Pack your bags Sir....we're going to WAR." It took over 12 hours to get a Brigade size element out of the field that day. When we got the bradleys back to the motor pool that night it was sheer madness. The first images I saw were while I was standing in line at the medics office waiting for shots. It was like watching a scene from a movie, and one that I will never forget. 11 years later and I'm getting ready to retire, and we're still at war.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Medical school, in the basement at IUSOM hanging out between classes. They put it on our huge projector in the lecture hall. I recall a girl crying and upset because we were going to retaliate with our military. She wasn't crying about the initial attack.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Working on the chillers at a school on the south side. A friend called me and asked if I had looked at the sky. I said no and walked outside. Not one jet trail. He was a supervisor at the tower and told me what had happened. They had just grounded everything in the country. It ran a lightning bolt through my body.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Having coffee and watching the news just starting out my work day at my office. I shut down the shop and kept watch on the events as they unfolded.
    I got all my gear ready, checked and double checked my firearms, food stores, and emergency supplies. I was NOT ready. That's all changed now as my world did that morning.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I was at work...got an IM from a friend in NYC...turned on the TV at work and we all just kind of sat there watching. It was strange not seeing any contrails in the sky.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    the other day I was on the treadmill and FNC was discussing it and playing interviews of their staff from their experiences that day. They played a video of Obama saying water boarding was torture and that he will never authorize it. Then you hear that terrorist attacks were prevented from information gathered from waterboarding. Then you see the video of planes hitting the towers. Really ticked me off.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I was at work. Another coworker was listing to Bob and Tom. At first he thought it was a joke until he started telling me about it and I turned on my radio and found it on every station.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Sitting in the Petos tire shop waiting room, on the south side of Indy.
    I was getting 4 Michelin 245/85/R16s on a trailer. Haven't blow a tire since then and was gonna put some new ones on that trailer this week.

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Was at work and was returning to my desk. Somebody asked me if I knew anyone in NYC because a plane had just crashed into the WTC. We had just made internet access open to folks in the office. I tried cnn.com and other sites to no avail. Some co workers and I left and watched the rest of the events unfold on TV. Never Forget! :patriot:

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    I was down in Greenwood building the Home Depot there on 65 and southport (I think it's off of southport). I had the radio going on and as soon as they started talking about it, we all stopped working and sat around the radio for awhile listening to everything. I'll never forget. The only thing I wished I had done was enlist. Looking back, I have no clue why I didn't.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    I was London, Ontario, Canada; in the GMC plant making the Stryker (on the 2nd week of a 3-month work assignment). News just started floating around the office area, and TVs were turned on as fast as they could be gotten out. While I had not planned on coming home for a while, it was strange knowing the borders were closed, and I could not come home if I wanted to. The Canadians were just a shocked as we were, and very supportive.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I was at work in the patient waiting room watching it with the staff and patients. At first glance I thought it was an accident, a patient said heck no it's an attack.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I was in 8th grade doing ISTEP testing. We heard the news. The teachers discussed it and decided ISTEP was more important and that we were too young to care. I remember the week after, when it was announced we were going to war, I st there in my room crying because my dad was ready to retire and I thought they were going to send him over seas. They didn't, but I still remember.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I was working; on I-69 heading up to Ft. Wayne to do some surface investigation (of subsurface problems) on I-469

Lot of the vehicles at the time had two-way radios ("private channels") - and folks had the keyed mic up to their radio speakers to rebroadcast.

Top Bottom