• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    OO buck out of a 12 gauge is a commonly used by the Amish for coyote from what many have told me. At room or hallway distances, there is very little difference between slug and buck as far as terminal effect. They both will carve out a huge hole through a target. I prefer 00 or even 000 buck over slugs for home defense.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    All this talk of ammunition, but my concern would be trying to swing that 590A1 around inside the house. I have one of those, and it's one of the last things I'd go to for home defense. I'd worry about knocking things over or hanging up on walls, and if the bad guy is close enough to get inside of its length, you've lost muzzle control.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    All this talk of ammunition, but my concern would be trying to swing that 590A1 around inside the house. I have one of those, and it's one of the last things I'd go to for home defense. I'd worry about knocking things over or hanging up on walls, and if the bad guy is close enough to get inside of its length, you've lost muzzle control.
    You know if you have two hands on your handgun it's just about the same length as a rifle weather its extended out or low ready. Ether way you go it all comes down to training. For me I don't plan on clearing my house if I hear a bump in the night, I rather have my 870 pointed at the bedroom door and let the cops do their job. Now if little kids are in the house I want a handgun because it much easier to handle one handed while you are holding your child.

HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville
    I too am still under the impression that 00 or 000 Buck would be the best for home defense in a 12ga
    I don't think in close quarters that a Slug could ever have an advantage
    Just my opinion, I have only shot a 2-3 thousand 12 ga rounds..
    I'm a lightweight when it comes to them even though I have 45 years experience shooting them

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Ive looked at this for some time and from those who study this for a living, #1 buckshot is my choice for HD. Reports are, slugs have gone through human targets.

We all know what they do to dry wall.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    High Standard 10-B, a 12 gauge design from the 60s by a policeman from California. His idea was to be able to fire the gun with one hand out the window of his cruiser while steering with his left. It was also promoted as a close quarters and building entry weapon. It never really caught on although some PDs did buy them, issues were violent ejection of the shells out the side and general strangeness. A gun ahead of it's time. You could also get a flashlight mounting for the top.

The gun points well down the forearm when fired with one hand and can be fired from the shoulder as well. Never shoot from the left shoulder as the brass will hit your face with some force, think HK G3 empty case ejection power.

Last edited:

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    #4 buck will easily do the job, less chance of collateral damage.

outside of hunting I don't see the love for slugs, especially in HD situations

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    High Standard 10-B, a 12 gauge design from the 60s by a policeman from California. His idea was to be able to fire the gun with one hand out the window of his cruiser while steering with his left. It was also promoted as a close quarters and building entry weapon. It never really caught on although some PDs did buy them, issues were violent ejection of the shells out the side and general strangeness. A gun ahead of it's time. You could also get a flashlight mounting for the top.

The gun points well down the forearm when fired with one hand and can be fired from the shoulder as well. Never shoot from the left shoulder as the brass will hit your face with some force, think HK G3 empty case ejection power.

That and the 2 or 3+1 capacity.

Top Bottom