• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    Rattles, groups, triggers, general fit/finish. For the price I would expect better.
    I have seen a few crappy Springers and other makes. Every body turns out a turd now and then.
    Look hard at the ignition controls and safety fit. They could do better. Maybe with being bailed out they will until they rape the company again and Q.C. falls in the waste can.
    Yup, they all run. I personally think a person can do much better for the same money with other brands that are built to a higher standard.
    Again, the OP asked and these are merely opinions.

As mentioned already, I hear they are on the comeback trail. I am not going to put any more cash in their bank until I see this and even then maybe not. Just a personal thing and nothing more.

I hear you Churchmouse and I respect your opinion. I think it does a disservice to the OP to not give my opinion and experience as well. There is no question that Colt needed to do better and I believe they have. There is a significant difference in their guns from just a few years ago. They needed to step up there game if they want to remain in business. I think they have accomplished that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I hear you Churchmouse and I respect your opinion. I think it does a disservice to the OP to not give my opinion and experience as well. There is no question that Colt needed to do better and I believe they have. There is a significant difference in their guns from just a few years ago. They needed to step up there game if they want to remain in business. I think they have accomplished that.

I seriously hope they do. The gun world would have a huge hole in it if they were gone.
    I respect your opinion as well.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I just ran through this thread, read some interesting comments, entertaining ones, and some stuff I simply just don't agree with. When you spend 1k on a pistol, the expectation is, it should work. It's also a "pride thing" as we all like to say, look at my pistols/rifles, I have this or that.

Sadly, when a 1911 fails... Weather is failure to feed, failure to extract, or something breaks, most tend to say "it's a 1911".

I am fairly certain I shoot more than most (non gamers), and have owned more than most in terms of the 1911 platform... I also know that many consider 5-10k rounds a lot on a 1911. That's nothing in the grand scheme... So if you have commented on reliability or how great your pistol is (not going to get into brands) and have under 5-10k you really do not have a true perspective on how your pistol actually runs.

That leaves two conclusions...

1. Most folks consider themselves able to give quality options based on under use of a platform

and

2. It's the reason 1911's have gotten a bad name and a lot look at them as a "dated" platform.

I have had Colts, Kimbers, Sigs, Rugers, SA's, and the likes... All have had an issue along the way. First 2k, not a problem... I own mostly semi custom pistols now, some with over 40k rounds through them... Not 1 issue at all. If I did have issues, I would throw the companies under the bus in a heart beat...

What I have taken away from my time in the platform is, a 1911 is not worth having at the 1200 and lower price tag. I truly believe that, and seriously think you can buy better handguns at the 1200 and under mark. Once you get to a Valor or any semi custom gun, it's 100% worth the buy. A 1911 isn't a 1911 in terms of all pistols being created equal... Just not.

I know, most don't like hearing this kind of thing... And it comes off as me being a gun snob. The truth is, if I could buy a 1911 and get it to run like a 3k 1911, I would. Just like I would love to buy a Fusion and get it to run like a Ferarri. Sadly most folks don't shoot there pistols enough... In saying that they give advise based around limited experience and in return, there production pistols give the platform a reputation of being unreliable.

Last quick thing... I see nothing wrong with buying a sub 1k 1911, shoot it and figure out what you like and don't like about it. Save up and send your pistol off to a qualified smith to fix all the issues that your pistol came with (poor barrel fit, poor overall fit, sub par finish, sub par tuning, proper extractor tension, proper throating of the ramp, proper ejection port cut, I can go on and on and on). I would really caution you though on your gunsmith...Gunsmiths are like tattoo artists, everyone is the best. In reality only a handful do the job correctly (no knock to any here, don't know your guys work). Just be sure to do the research and dig in a little deeper than reading a general forum... Everyone's a forum expert or YouTube gunsmith.

Nothing wrong with discussion, what is wrong is when you buy/pay/expect something and do not get the anticipated out come.

just my $.02

B

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    With Colt prices coming down, I think they are a decent buy. For a sub-$700 stock GI style 1911, a Colt makes a lot of sense. The frame and slide are forged and make a good starting point for a project gun. At $1000, I think they are over priced. I bought my Delta Elite back when you could get one for around $900, and it was over priced then. It pains me to see that gun selling for over a grand now. A thousand dollar 1911 should not have sloppy bushing/barrel fit, ignition parts that are out of spec and plastic main spring housings, even if it's in 10mm.

But, my next project gun will most likely start as a Colt in either 38 Super or maybe 45 ACP. The nice thing about starting with a Colt, is that they do retain their value more than many other guns. I can put a lot of money into my Remington or even Kimber, and I don't think it would retain value like something with the Colt roll mark.

tylerr23

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Wabash Indiana
    I've had my eye set on the spartan from sig sauer. Love the oil bronze and the molon labe inscription. Now just to cough up a grand and make it real. I'm just afraid I'd hide it deep in the safe and forget about it

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I just ran through this thread, read some interesting comments, entertaining ones, and some stuff I simply just don't agree with. When you spend 1k on a pistol, the expectation is, it should work. It's also a "pride thing" as we all like to say, look at my pistols/rifles, I have this or that.

Sadly, when a 1911 fails... Weather is failure to feed, failure to extract, or something breaks, most tend to say "it's a 1911".

I am fairly certain I shoot more than most (non gamers), and have owned more than most in terms of the 1911 platform... I also know that many consider 5-10k rounds a lot on a 1911. That's nothing in the grand scheme... So if you have commented on reliability or how great your pistol is (not going to get into brands) and have under 5-10k you really do not have a true perspective on how your pistol actually runs.

That leaves two conclusions...

1. Most folks consider themselves able to give quality options based on under use of a platform

and

2. It's the reason 1911's have gotten a bad name and a lot look at them as a "dated" platform.

I have had Colts, Kimbers, Sigs, Rugers, SA's, and the likes... All have had an issue along the way. First 2k, not a problem... I own mostly semi custom pistols now, some with over 40k rounds through them... Not 1 issue at all. If I did have issues, I would throw the companies under the bus in a heart beat...

What I have taken away from my time in the platform is, a 1911 is not worth having at the 1200 and lower price tag. I truly believe that, and seriously think you can buy better handguns at the 1200 and under mark. Once you get to a Valor or any semi custom gun, it's 100% worth the buy. A 1911 isn't a 1911 in terms of all pistols being created equal... Just not.

I know, most don't like hearing this kind of thing... And it comes off as me being a gun snob. The truth is, if I could buy a 1911 and get it to run like a 3k 1911, I would. Just like I would love to buy a Fusion and get it to run like a Ferarri. Sadly most folks don't shoot there pistols enough... In saying that they give advise based around limited experience and in return, there production pistols give the platform a reputation of being unreliable.

Last quick thing... I see nothing wrong with buying a sub 1k 1911, shoot it and figure out what you like and don't like about it. Save up and send your pistol off to a qualified smith to fix all the issues that your pistol came with (poor barrel fit, poor overall fit, sub par finish, sub par tuning, proper extractor tension, proper throating of the ramp, proper ejection port cut, I can go on and on and on). I would really caution you though on your gunsmith...Gunsmiths are like tattoo artists, everyone is the best. In reality only a handful do the job correctly (no knock to any here, don't know your guys work). Just be sure to do the research and dig in a little deeper than reading a general forum... Everyone's a forum expert or YouTube gunsmith.

Nothing wrong with discussion, what is wrong is when you buy/pay/expect something and do not get the anticipated out come.

just my $.02

B

I have ran the snot out of a lot of my 1911's Had well north of 10K through more than a few of them.
    Yes, things broke. Extractors wore out. Recoil springs etc and so forth.
    We had 2 Para's that went past 10K and are still running.We do not own them anymore but the friends that do use them regularly. I seriously doubt any of the new Para offerings would eclipse these numbers.

I do not run them like that anymore mainly due to time allowed to get out to the range.
    That and they do not seem to stay here long after I get done with them.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I've had my eye set on the spartan from sig sauer. Love the oil bronze and the molon labe inscription. Now just to cough up a grand and make it real. I'm just afraid I'd hide it deep in the safe and forget about it

I agree with churchmouse, face your fears and buy, then run the snot outta that gun! I have a Sig TacOps 1911 and I love it. They're very accurate and a lot of fun to shoot... :ar15:

kehrhit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Unless you've already bought (in which case post a picture!) - if you shop around and wait on it you can pick up a Dan Wesson or Les Baer for the ~1400-1500 mark, and you won't be disappointed. You might have to wait awhile for the Baer but it can be done.

Top Bottom