• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    CorBon DPX 80gr. This being said, it is very rare that you will find me with just a .380. I have done it a couple times, but as others have said, the .380 doesn't perform nearly as well as 9mm and up. It is better than nothing, but 99% of the time I would carry it as a BUG to a 9mm or up.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a couple of boxes of Hornady Critical Defense, but think I'll move to the XTP based Custom. I've been reading several reviews that found the Critical Defense are extremely shallow in penetration.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I run the Speer Gold Dot in my Ruger LCP. It moves decently quick for a 90 gr. bullet and has a good balance of penetration and expansion in the ballistic gel tests. I am not a fan of the Critical Defense, Ranger Ts/PDXs, HSTs in 380, or Golden Sabers.

Check out this video:

[video=youtube;8NfS9owxPiU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NfS9owxPiU[/video]

It will go through denim, a hogs head, 2 jugs of water, and still expand.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I run the Speer Gold Dot in my Ruger LCP. It moves decently quick for a 90 gr. bullet and has a good balance of penetration and expansion in the ballistic gel tests. I am not a fan of the Critical Defense, Ranger Ts/PDXs, HSTs in 380, or Golden Sabers.

Check out this video:

[video=youtube;8NfS9owxPiU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NfS9owxPiU[/video]

It will go through denim, a hogs head, 2 jugs of water, and still expand.

I will see if this feeds in the P3AT. Those are standard pressure right? Out of a short brarrel? (I will watch ot later)

I will also have to check out the more negative reviews on the Critical Defense. The 9mm gets good reviews. I had alsways heard good things about the .380 as well. You have given me something to think about.
    I wonder of the Hogs Head guys do a video with Critical Dfense.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Thank you all for the input, links, opinions, etc! I think I've got my choice narrowed down to something using the XTP bullet, or the Federal HST/HydroShok. If anyone else has more input please post it! Thank you all! I love INGO. :ingo::ingo::ingo:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    THIS!

I carry Precision One. It uses the XTP bullet.

The video is worth a watch. This summary of his extensive testing is outstanding. Cliffs notes of the video: JHPs are typically unreliable in this caliber. Some expand too quickly and dont give enough penetration. Some just dont expand at all or reliably so you shouldnt waste your money and you would be better off buying ball ammo instead if these particular rounds were all you could find at your local retailer.

He found that pretty much the only thing worth the money were the manufacturers who use the XTP projectile.

I bought several boxes of the Precision One for me and a few friends after watching the video. I will be doing the Chrono on them to determine speed and then load them up my self. I had several primers that were not seated properly in the batch that I got from them. I like the ammo, but their quality process needs improving.

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Don't get caught up in assumption that the same defensive ammo that works great in 9, .40, .45 will be just as good and effective in .380. I recently picked up a P238 for something that can be easily concealed in dress casual outfits. I have done a lot of reading and talking with folks who are quite knowledgeable and experienced in ballistics. And the one thing I have learned is that .380 is a totally different animal than the others. In short, the ones that continually reign in as top rated in .380 are Speer Gold Dot, Hornady Custom or American Gunner (or similar ammo using the XTP bullet) and the Federal Hydra-Shok JHP. All of the others seem to fall short in one way or another. The main failings seem to be over-expansion and under-penetration. Note that the Hornady Critical Defense uses the FTX bullet and did not fare as well in this caliber. Likewise, the newer Federal HST round performs worse than the older Hydra-Shok JHP.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Don't get caught up in assumption that the same defensive ammo that works great in 9, .40, .45 will be just as good and effective in .380. I recently picked up a P238 for something that can be easily concealed in dress casual outfits. I have done a lot of reading and talking with folks who are quite knowledgeable and experienced in ballistics. And the one thing I have learned is that .380 is a totally different animal than the others. In short, the ones that continually reign in as top rated in .380 are Speer Gold Dot, Hornady Custom or American Gunner (or similar ammo using the XTP bullet) and the Federal Hydra-Shok JHP. All of the others seem to fall short in one way or another. The main failings seem to be over-expansion and under-penetration. Note that the Hornady Critical Defense uses the FTX bullet and did not fare as well in this caliber. Likewise, the newer Federal HST round performs worse than the older Hydra-Shok JHP.

Good info. Now I have two to try.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Thank you all for the input, links, opinions, etc! I think I've got my choice narrowed down to something using the XTP bullet, or the Federal HST/HydroShok. If anyone else has more input please post it! Thank you all! I love INGO. :ingo::ingo::ingo:

Can't go wrong with those choices.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    My TCP is somewhat finicky about what it likes. I've had the best reliability with FMJ. YMMV.

Did you ever try hornady? It seems that they will feed better than some FMJ ammo. Just curious, it may be an option for you if not.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013

I missed this the other day, it's interesting about the new HTS rounds didn't do well. I am assuming because of too much expansion? The old hydros seemed great!

Top Bottom