• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I mean you could, but that sure is not going to be comfortable. I should state that I will continue to carry my G19 a majority of the time, but I love SA hammer guns. I guess by me saying I would carry it sometimes I was justifying spending that much on a pistol because it would be used often, but the reality is that it probably won't be. I just want to buy something nice for myself lol.
    I carry a CZ P10F through the fall and winter. If in the woods I carry a 1911 10mm.
    I've carried full size handguns iwb for many years with no problems.
    Being 6'2" 225 I can hide full size handguns pretty easily. I'm sure police officer who knows what to look for would know, but your avg Joe or Karen wouldn't.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The DWX is supposed to combine the good trigger of a 1911 with the grip and capacity of the CZ. It is a large pistol though and as others have said would be a challenge to EDC. I haven’t seen one in person but I have several CZs and 1911s and I get torn on which I like to carry the best. I love the 1911 Commander size and trigger but love the capacity and feel of the P01. I mostly carry the P01 but am still on the hunt for a LW Commander in 38 Super. I have a DW Guardian and Valkyrie but came to the conclusion they’re too nice to carry. IKR. The P01 is half the price and twice the capacity, plus I can carry spare mags that hold 18 rounds. I guess it’s like anything else and comes down to what works best for you at any particular point in time.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    As someone who has carried a 1911 in the past, I'd recommend the "Commander" size over the full size. The little shorter barrel/ slide is easier to carry. I'd probably recommend a lightweight version, as well. A big heavy gun is a big temptation to leave at home after the newness wears off. Buying a "stock" pistol like the Colt Lightweight Commander will be far below your budget and to "personalize" it, you could send or take it to a competent pistolsmith to get upgrades you desire and still be below your budget. This one looks pretty nice: https://www.colt.com/detail-page/wiley-clapp-commander-9mm-bl

Revo357

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    Perry County
    I've been looking into 9mm 1911's also. I've shot a Springfield Range Officer in 9mm quite a bit and it's such a fun gun to shoot. I was also impressed by the factory trigger.

spalfano

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2023
    New Palestine
    For 1911, there are some great choices. Springfield 1911 DS Prodigy is pretty nice for around $1500. Stacatto if you really want a 2011 platform. It’s going to push your budget though. If you are open to used, you can certainly find a good Wilson Combat. I have heard Kimber is not as good as they used to be. I don’t know first hand so it’s just what I heard. If anyone here knows, chime in. Dan Wesson has options too that are in the budget. Let us know what you find and go with. Show and tell is encouraged!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    For 1911, there are some great choices. Springfield 1911 DS Prodigy is pretty nice for around $1500. Stacatto if you really want a 2011 platform. It’s going to push your budget though. If you are open to used, you can certainly find a good Wilson Combat. I have heard Kimber is not as good as they used to be. I don’t know first hand so it’s just what I heard. If anyone here knows, chime in. Dan Wesson has options too that are in the budget. Let us know what you find and go with. Show and tell is encouraged!
    I've also heard that about Kimber. She's the one that everyone votes for as prom queen, but not the one they'd pick to fly F-22's in defense of our country.

Bosbar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Just outside Indy
    The Springfield Garrison is a nice pistol for $800. or less.
    I made a few adjustments to mine.
    H53l9mz.jpg

vGh3uE3.jpg

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%