• ...and so much more!
  • warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Which would you get a Beretta 1301 or a Benelli M4. Cost difference does not matter. Will be used for home defense, some 3 gun, and may go in the field for rabbit. I will carry in Southern Ohio, a few miles from the Ohio and Scioto Rivers, when walking mom's farm for black bear. She lost two calves this last spring to bears. Most of the ground is hills, lots of woods with a large creek running through it.

IT_Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2021
    Fortville
    I have both and without a doubt would pick my LTT over the M4 any day of the week.

My M4 will not cycle anything than full power rounds whereas my 1301 has yet to choke on ~1150/fps buckshot. I haven't ran anything lighter but do not think it would have issues as ~1150 is pretty soft ammo.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Beretta....but just because the tend to fit me better out of the box. Not a wrong choice between the two. Putting dollars aside, I would still go with the 1301.

Bears?

Maybe a 44 mag, 10mm or 500 sw handgun?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Beretta....but just because the tend to fit me better out of the box. Not a wrong choice between the two. Putting dollars aside, I would still go with the 1301.

Bears?

Maybe a 44 mag, 10mm or 500 sw handgun?
    That's for bear DEFENSE when you aren't really expecting to run into them. If you PLAN in seeing a bear and killing it then 12ga slugs are basically your first choice everytime.

I have no personal experience with either but most people run stock Berettas in 3 gun and modified Benelli M2s so I'd pick the 1301 based on that and YouTube reviews.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Beretta makes the best semi-auto shotguns IMHO I much prefer their gas system over Benellis Inertia system myself (even though Benelli and Beretta are owned by the same company). If you can afford it send it off the Langdon Tactical he is a wizard with 1301's

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The M4 is a heavy beast of a shotgun. It's a superb castle defense weapon with ~14 rounds on the gun. There's little recoil.

Like mentioned up thread, it eats everything full power. Mine doesn't like light recoil loads even when freshly cleaned and lubed.

That being said, I don't think I'd go hunting bear with it unless it was significantly lighter.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I have both. The 1301 if you plan to use it for competition as it will cycle low brass.
    Don't get a pistol grip as it will get in your way when you double/quad load.
    M4 if you plan to use it for defense mine has trouble with low brass.
    I read that after a 100 rd high brass break in and running it wet it will cycle low brass.
    Don't know yet as I'm only into the break in at 50.
    It has gone from 100 percent fte to about 10 percent after 50 rounds. No issues with high brass.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

My vote is the 1301, and not by a smidgen.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I have both. The 1301 if you plan to use it for competition as it will cycle low brass.
    Don't get a pistol grip as it will get in your way when you double/quad load.
    M4 if you plan to use it for defense mine has trouble with low brass.
    I read that after a 100 rd high brass break in and running it wet it will cycle low brass.
    Don't know yet as I'm only into the break in at 50.
    It has gone from 100 percent fte to about 10 percent after 50 rounds. No issues with high brass.

Wait. I realize some platforms need a break in to run right, but you’re suggesting a shotgun that had a 100% FTE rate when new for defensive use, over a shotgun that didn’t? Seems odd to me…

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Wait. I realize some platforms need a break in to run right, but you’re suggesting a shotgun that had a 100% FTE rate when new for defensive use, over a shotgun that didn’t? Seems odd to me…
    With low brass. It's never failed with hi brass.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Have a 1301 and it makes shooting so much easier than using the Moss 500. The double is easier on my shoulder but the 1301 gives more rounds before a reload. Arthritis has made a pump hurt racking the slide, also fast arm movement to draw a pistol hurts. A 1301 cross slung seems to cause the smallest amount of discomfort. Loaded slug, 2 patched round ball, slug, etc. Should do for a black bear if I do my part.

Top Bottom