• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nofear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Indy
    Ok so I'm new to the world of AK's and trying to do my due diligence. I hear a lot of bad things about Romanian WASR's. Anyone out there care to elaborate? Am I better off to buy Yugo and pay 50-100 more for it? What about RPK? I found AES10-B (I think again romanian) but it sounds like it may be ok.

Feel free to PM if needed.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    This is a big question. I think if you are new to the AK world the WASR is the way to go. I have owned one them and the WASRs better put together (in many cases) big brother the SAR-1. Both of them ran. Both of them had trigger slap which could have been fixed.

I would never buy a WASR sight unseen but if I was able to look at one at a shop or gun show I would not hesitate to buy one.

I would make sure the sites aren't canted and the the front gas block is not canted as well. I see this problem on a lot of them.

Triple check to make sure the rifle is unloaded and dry fire it a couple of times and make sure the trigger doesn't feel like complete crap and the bolt runs fine.

Insert a magazine to make sure it locks up. There is bound to be some mag wabble in the WASR but that is ok.

The WASR is not going to win any beauty pageants but if you can find one that is straight I would by it for my first AK.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    I have 2 WASR's and both shoot very well.
    I also recomend the STG-2000, It's romanian but with a little more style. $379 at SOG

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    What is "trigger slap" in this context?

+1. My SAR-1 is REALLY bad about this. What is the fix for it? In my case the trigger literrally slaps my finger after each shot. Feels like getting hit with a green branch someone is swinging on your trigger finger. After awhile it gets pretty sore.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    It's what 03mustgt said (for me anyway)

Here is a great link regarding this issue.

Romanian Kalashnikov Rifles

What is "trigger slap" in this context?

+1. My SAR-1 is REALLY bad about this. What is the fix for it? In my case the trigger literrally slaps my finger after each shot. Feels like getting hit with a green branch someone is swinging on your trigger finger. After awhile it gets pretty sore.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I need an AK.

What's the cheapest piece of crap that actually functions 100%? I don't care how it looks, just that it goes bang every time and is reasonably accurate by AK standards.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Consider spending a little extra on a converted Saiga. Russian made, good workmanship. AIM surplus has them for $550 right now.

The biggest enemy is canting, and even in person it is hard to detect.

Too bad you will not be at the Appleseed on Sunday rhino or I would loan you my STG to shoot for the day if you wanted. They are fun, and unimaginably reliable. Accuracy is "tactical" if you know what I mean...

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I need an AK.

What's the cheapest piece of crap that actually functions 100%? I don't care how it looks, just that it goes bang every time and is reasonably accurate by AK standards.

Click the link in my previous post.

If you do your research, the Vector at that price is a great gun.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I need an AK.

WASR or if you want a bit better for not too much more, get a Yugo while you still can (they just recently stopped making them, out of parts kits). The Yugos don't have chrome lined bores, but are of much better quality than the WASRs.

Top Bottom