• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    I'm trying to decide what I want my 1st rifle purchase to be, and I've hit a wall. I know I want a bullpup design, but I don't know what platform I want it in. My main contenders are the FS2000 in .223 and the Kel-Tec RFB in .308. I've also done some looking into different bullpup kits for the venerable SKS in 7.62x39. I'm right handed, so the conversion kits would be acceptable.

As far as I can find, the FS2k and RFB are roughly the same price. The lowest I've seen is ~$1400 for either of them. They both have the benefit of forward-ejection and of being factory-made systems. I favor having the power and versatility of the .308, but the benefits of the .223 are still weighing on my mind. Both of these guns would be significant investments for me on my college budget, but they aren't out of reach.

The SKS option is harder to figure out than I thought. I can't seem to find what their going price is. I can't even really find an online store that sells stock SKSs, only accessories.:n00b:
    I like what I've seen of the SGWorks bullpup stock, and it goes for ~$200. It not only looks sleek, but it seems to be a great design. I think that the stripper clip ability comes into its own on a bullpup as well -- no rear mounted mag to get in the way. If you watch the video on the SGWorks website, he has no trouble reloading with strippers.

If I can get out of the SKS for ~$500 it would be a steal compared to the other two designs, and I can always upgrade in the future when I'm not a low-income engineering student. (I'll probably just blow the difference on ammunition :D). Then there's the plus side of getting to get my hands dirty in doing the modifications to appreciate the engineering of the gun and the stock. Plus, the x39 is a nice compromise between the two rounds I've been contemplating between.

I just came across the SKS option today, and I like the idea quite a lot. I'll definitely be mulling it over tonight while I await the wise and knowledgeable advice from all the great folks here on INGO. :ingo:
    I changed my mind 1000 times when I got my pistol, so I expect this will be no different. I may very well come out of this with a .50 cal muzzle loader for all I know. :D

Any thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    You wont getting much if any spare parts if something breaks on the FS2000, ive heard of spare bolts alone being several hundred $ when available. Fsk has no bolt hold open, cant remember if the RFB has one or not though. Ones a military weapon if that has any bearing, ive only heard good stuff about the RFB. Fal mags arent as cheap and readily available as they once were. .308 is about 50 cents a round which is about twice what .223 is. The fs is probably slightly easier to reload vs the rocking motion of the fal mags for the rfb, training would fix that though. Tough call, have you considered the msar E4 steyr aug clones?

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    I'm quite fond of my Shernic SKS. I've only shot a few rounds through it so far. Reviews are all very good as well. I do want an FS2000 as well, and there is a contest mentioned on one of the threads to enter a contest for a free one. I trust not such things, and as such did not enter.

For Shernic they've been back ordered as they had so many pre order sales. If you wait a bit I wouldn't be concerned with delays. If you ordered today it would likely be several months since they're still catching up. Worth the wait.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    I don't think you can call that your first rifle purchase. A rifle is made to be accurate. Call it your first carbine purchase. Have you ever shot a rifle with a nicely trigger?

Let me tell you, almost every bullpup I have shot has a crappy trigger. It is dues to the necessity of a linkage from the trigger to the actual sear.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure either rifle is good for shooting out to 500 yards, but past that is where a rifle shows its true colors. I doubt either can reliably shoot farther than that.

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    I don't think you can call that your first rifle purchase. A rifle is made to be accurate. Call it your first carbine purchase. Have you ever shot a rifle with a nicely trigger?

Let me tell you, almost every bullpup I have shot has a crappy trigger. It is dues to the necessity of a linkage from the trigger to the actual sear.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure either rifle is good for shooting out to 500 yards, but past that is where a rifle shows its true colors. I doubt either can reliably shoot farther than that.

I guess you are right, but in todays world, a carbine is more versatile than a rifle. I don't know about the FS2K, but the RFB is supposed to have the best of any bullpup trigger -- comparable to a decent standard rifle. The designer of the SKS mod claims the distance of the trigger from the sear is the same as in the standard configuration, so I imagine that means roughly equivalent trigger pull (but I know nothing). For defensive purposes I can't see having to shoot 500+ meters at all. From what I've read, all but the .308 are out of their game past 300.
    Overall, I'm thinking bullpup > standard carbine at any rate, even if they aren't as accurate as a "rifle".

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    The issue with the sks is going ti be availability. It usually takes 10-12 months from your order date to get the stock set.

How about the availability of the standard sks rifle? I figure if I have the regular old configuration until the stock kit shows up I'm fine, and I will be able to get to know the gun better in the waiting time. The website says a 4 month delay, but I hope that I can pick up a rifle at the upcoming Indy 1500 if at all possible. I just have no idea where to get old surplus rifles.

I'm quite fond of my Shernic SKS. I've only shot a few rounds through it so far. Reviews are all very good as well. I do want an FS2000 as well, and there is a contest mentioned on one of the threads to enter a contest for a free one. I trust not such things, and as such did not enter.

For Shernic they've been back ordered as they had so many pre order sales. If you wait a bit I wouldn't be concerned with delays. If you ordered today it would likely be several months since they're still catching up. Worth the wait.

Nice to know it's as good as it looks. It's always a good sign to see that a product can't be made fast enough to meet demand. I'm really liking the idea of the SKS more and more as I think about it.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    From what I've read, all but the .308 are out of their game past 300.

I watched a 20" HBar AR hit a man size target at 700 yards in 25mph winds in March. IT can be done. It's not the rifle, it's the shooter. It can be effective, I wouldn't want to get shot with it at any range.

Really look at the MSAR E4 if you can. Takes standard AR mags just like the fs2000.

I shot a fs2k and the trigger was HORRIBLE. After 30 rounds my finger was getting tired. The optics aren't that great either.

Have fun and enjoy the process! This is almost as fun as shooting it!

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Maybe an AK-74 Bullpup? Granted, it's not the prettiest thing in the world, but it's an AK, the ammo's cheap, and it's a bullpup. I've also seen them for about $500.

Last edited:

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    I watched a 20" HBar AR hit a man size target at 700 yards in 25mph winds in March. IT can be done. It's not the rifle, it's the shooter. It can be effective, I wouldn't want to get shot with it at any range.

Really look at the MSAR E4 if you can. Takes standard AR mags just like the fs2000.

I shot a fs2k and the trigger was HORRIBLE. After 30 rounds my finger was getting tired. The optics aren't that great either.

Have fun and enjoy the process! This is almost as fun as shooting it!

I don't doubt that it can be done, just that it's not as practical as it would be with a more massive projectile that is routinely used at such a range.

I have looked at the MSAR, but it is more expensive than the other two. Also, there's just something about how it looks that I don't like. The fact that it costs a lot and still ejects to the rear like the SKS would is also a factor. If I'm going to pay big $$ for a new gun, forward ejection is a must.

Maybe an AK-74 Bullpup? Granted, it's not the prettiest thing in the world, but it's an AK, the ammo's cheap, and it's a bullpup. I've also seen them for about $500.

I didn't look very far into the AK bullpup; I just assumed it would be cheaper to go with an SKS than a much newer rifle.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Have you looked at a PS90? Its a great little bullpup gun. Trigger feels really wierd till you get used to it, but after that...

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    I think I'm going to pounce on the SKS. It will be several months before I get the stock, but I will pick up the base rifle as soon as I find the best deal. I have found a few sub-$200 yugoslavian m59/66 rifles online, so my total cost would be well under $500. I can afford to buy this rifle now, whereas the other options would take a few months of heavy saving.

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I know it seems like such a short time to have considered all of your suggestions, but I have been almost non-stop thinking about this and researching the weapons since my OP. I know that I will eventually end up with at least one of the other rifles, but the SKS is unbeatable at the moment.

Now, expect a thread about purchasing an old SKS rifle, which is another thing I know nothing about.:n00b:

I definitely look forward to learning, however. I think this whole process will be ALMOST as fun as shooting the finished rifle.

Now to write that SKS post...

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm trying to decide what I want my 1st rifle purchase to be, and I've hit a wall. I know I want a bullpup design, but I don't know what platform I want it in.

Did someone say "Bullpup"? I have the Kel-Tec RFB in .308, an FN FS2000 and an MSAR. On a budget, I would suggest a .223, just due to the difference in ammo cost. For fun and 'rock and roll', I love the RFB. Since I'm in Ft Wayne and you're in New Haven, PM me if you are interested in firing any or all of the above. Actually comparing them 'hands on' and firing them might influence your decision.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I had a similar thread a few months ago, and I still havent gotten around to making the purchase. Unfortunately the money goes elsewhere when you wait, such is life. I decided to go the MSAR route, and I still plan to. The RFB is awesome, or so I hear, but .308 is just to much for me. I dont really have a need for a .308 rifle right now, and it is to much for plinking.

Hotwired

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Wolf, you really need to shoot one before you make a decision on what you want. I have 2 bullpups, 1 a walther g22, and a Bushmaster M17S, I love them both. Wish I could afford a Keltek rfb, but that is way to pricey for me, as is an Aug or Msar. If you are ever in the Madison county area look me up and I will let you try a magazine or 2 through either one of mine to see if you like em.

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    Did someone say "Bullpup"? I have the Kel-Tec RFB in .308, an FN FS2000 and an MSAR. On a budget, I would suggest a .223, just due to the difference in ammo cost. For fun and 'rock and roll', I love the RFB. Since I'm in Ft Wayne and you're in New Haven, PM me if you are interested in firing any or all of the above. Actually comparing them 'hands on' and firing them might influence your decision.

Thanks for the offer, but I've set my sights on the SKS with a bullpup stock kit. It seems to be the cheapest route to go, and it is a good starting point for me. The only SA rifle I've ever shot was a Chinese SKS about six years ago, and I was much smaller then (15-16 years old), so I know I can handle it. I still love what I've seen of the RFB and I will surely get one at some point in the future, but the SKS will work until I have a more steady income to spend on guns.

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    Are you going to go with an 18 barrel or 16? Wouldnt hurt to look at an sks-m for better mag reliability.

I haven't really decided. I think I want the full length 20" for the added velocity, but I'm not sure. I don't even know which make I want yet, but I think I'll go either Chinese or Yugo for price factor. I actually want to use the standard 10 round internal mags, at least for a while. I like the idea of using stripper clips and losing the weight, bulk, and cost of magazines.

Top Bottom