• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Ok I'm just about set up. I got the Lee 50th anniversary kit, so all I need now is dies, and I'm ready to roll. My question is which dies to get? I am going to get Lee carbide dies, but they have a few different sets, and I'm a bit confused as to which I need. I will be reloading .40 S&W and .223/5.56 as of right now, with a strong possibility of adding 6.5 in the near future.

Also, my kit came with 3 Lee Precision: Breech Lock Quick Change Bushings. Should I get some more so I have a bushing on every die? Do the dies themselves come with the locking ring, or should I get these instead Lee Precision: Lock-Ring Eliminator

Last thing. How is the scale in this kit? It says its really precise, but it doesn't see that precise based on how you calibrate it. Seems kind of cheap. Should I invest in a digital, or even a better beam?

Think that's all for now....

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I'm a big fan of lee dies. to load .40S&W you need the .40S&W carbide die set. It's four dies.

Lee does not make carbide dies for rifle cartridges. I would purchase the Deluxe .223 set and a factory crimp die. This gives you the widest possible array of loading options.

Buy a bushing for every die. You will not regret it. My press only came with ONE. I was ANNOYED.

Opinions vary on the scale. Mine is not a popular opinion and I'll keep it to myself until it becomes necessary.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Good advice previous. The Lee scale needs to be learned. A friend who is an experienced reloader could not learn it.

I use mine to double check my Pact electronic scale. It is very accurate once you learn it.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I agree with ALL the above advice. I used a beam scale, for over 20 years a RCBS 505, and I started to lose faith in it, so when I could afford it, I got a electronic one, on sale and now use it exclusively .... it is a RCBS Range Master 750.... I love it ...

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I use carbide for 9mm and the pacesetter for .223. The Lee scale is easy to learn, read the instructions on how to properly calibrate it. I have successfully loaded 1,000 rounds using mine.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I've never felt like i needed the lock ring eliminators. This is a new product from lee that I think was brought to market solely because people were asking for it - "If hornady has it, why doesn't Lee?"

the rubber o-ring on the standard lock ring against the breech lock bushing has always been more than sufficient for my needs.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Ok, so for .40 I am going to get these dies.
    Lee Precision: 4 Die Pistol Set

And for .223 both of these.
    Lee Precision: Deluxe Rifle Die Set
    Lee Precision: Factory Crimp Dies

Any one have any comments on the bushings? Should I just get the standard ones, or should I get the lock ring eliminators?

Standard bushings are good to go. Are you going to be reloading for a bolt action rifle? If not, I would go with the pacesetter die set. That set includes a neck sizing die which is not needed if you are loading for a semi auto, as you'll have to full length size after firing. The pacesetter comes with full length sizing, seating, and crimp dies. Then I picked up a universal decapping die as well.

Doc Unique

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    You should be good to go...I find with the .40 I need the Lee FCD bu tnever needed it with other pistol calibers.
    Good Luck!

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Standard bushings are good to go. Are you going to be reloading for a bolt action rifle? If not, I would go with the pacesetter die set. That set includes a neck sizing die which is not needed if you are loading for a semi auto, as you'll have to full length size after firing. The pacesetter comes with full length sizing, seating, and crimp dies. Then I picked up a universal decapping die as well.

I will be loading .223 for my AR, not bolt. So you are saying get this one (Lee Precision: 3-Die PaceSetter Full Length Sizing Dies) instead of the deluxe with FCD? Do they just replace the collet die with the FCD in the pacesetter set?

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    For Pistol Ammo, i have always used the Lee 3 Die Pistol Set, which seats and crimps the bullet is one die, where the 4 die set separates these functions. Rifle dies...Lee Pacesetter 3 Die set which includes the factory crimp die.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I will be loading .223 for my AR, not bolt. So you are saying get this one (Lee Precision: 3-Die PaceSetter Full Length Sizing Dies) instead of the deluxe with FCD? Do they just replace the collet die with the FCD in the pacesetter set?

Yes, I recommend the 3-Die PaceSetter dies. That's what I'm using to load for my AR. You do not need the neck resizing die, unless you are loading for a bolt action. I would by a universal decaaping die as well. It's not a must, but you can decap without having to lube your cases. Plus they work great on Military crimps. Just make sure you get case lube as well. Cases have to be lubed when resized.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    For Pistol Ammo, i have always used the Lee 3 Die Pistol Set, which seats and crimps the bullet is one die, where the 4 die set separates these functions. Rifle dies...Lee Pacesetter 3 Die set which includes the factory crimp die.

Yes, I recommend the 3-Die PaceSetter dies. That's what I'm using to load for my AR. You do not need the neck resizing die, unless you are loading for a bolt action. I would by a universal decaaping die as well. It's not a must, but you can decap without having to lube your cases. Plus they work great on Military crimps. Just make sure you get case lube as well. Cases have to be lubed when resized.

The Lee four-die pistol sets include the factory crimp die, but the standard seating die ALSO can crimp. The FCD is excellent insurance since it has an additional post-sizing carbide ring. If a round moves freely in and out of a FCD, you can be 100% sure that it will chamber properly. You don't get this benefit with the three die set.

As far as the recommendation to buy the Lee deluxe set and an additional FCD, I made this recommendation from both experience and pragmatism. Rifles multiply. When i bought my .30-06 dies i only intended on loading for my Garand. I bought RGB's and planned on roll-crimping. I was dissatisfied with the results, so I bought an FCD and solved that problem. Then my M700 came along and the desire to neck size. The neck sizer was out of stock ($16) so I ordered the collet die set ($24). At this point I've spent about 30% more than I would've if I just would've bought what I needed at the start.

No matter what the intended purpose, I now purchase the deluxe dies and the FCD for every caliber. They *will* get used eventually.

Since the OP didn't indicate if he was reloading for a bolt action, break action, or semi-auto, I specifically recommended the deluxe +fcd combination knowing that it would give him the most flexibility.

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    As far as the recommendation to buy the Lee deluxe set and an additional FCD, I made this recommendation from both experience and pragmatism. Rifles multiply. When i bought my .30-06 dies i only intended on loading for my Garand. I bought RGB's and planned on roll-crimping. I was dissatisfied with the results, so I bought an FCD and solved that problem. Then my M700 came along and the desire to neck size. The neck sizer was out of stock ($16) so I ordered the collet die set ($24). At this point I've spent about 30% more than I would've if I just would've bought what I needed at the start.

No matter what the intended purpose, I now purchase the deluxe dies and the FCD for every caliber. They *will* get used eventually.

Since the OP didn't indicate if he was reloading for a bolt action, break action, or semi-auto, I specifically recommended the deluxe +fcd combination knowing that it would give him the most flexibility.

You make a very good point that alot of people dont think about. I tend to buy above and beyond what I think I might need.

About the time you think you will only load for a bolt action and you buy a neck sizing die, you end up with an AR or a friend comes over and asks you to help him reload for something he owns using your brass.....

I have a full length and neck sizing die for pretty much everything I reload because I really never know what I am going to buy next or who I am going to be loading for.

Top Bottom