• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jomibe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I am still a "relatively" new to handguns, so don't be too hard on me. I am interested in getting a snub nose revolver to carry occasionaly. Now, Obviously 22wmr is nowhere near the equal of 357 or 38+p, but how much of a disadvantage would you be at carrying a 6 shot 22wmr vs a 5 shot 357/38, considering all 6 shots of 22wmr can probably be put on target more accurately and quicker than possibly a single shot of 357?

So basically is 6 shots of 22wmr equal in stopping power to a single shot of 357/38+p?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    1) Rimfire is not as reliably ignited as center fire cartridges. How much of an increased failure rate are you willing to tolerate in a tool you may use to save your life?
    2) The first shot should be fired at the same speed with either.
    3) Do not plan on multiple hits in an engagement. Regardless of time or capacity, few gun fights result in more than 3 hits. As both participants start to move, as your cyclical rate goes through the roof due to stress, etc, hit probability goes further down with each successive shot.

I would not consider a rimfire handgun for self defense unless some disability made it the only option.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    22mag is better (or at least as good as) a sharp stick. I would much rather have a .38, a 9mm, or even a 380.
    But, If I would feel much better with a 22mag than nothing at all.
    My $.02

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    If my options were limited, yes.
    If you put 6 22's in their face they will stop. But that may not be an option.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    And you certainly wouldn't be saving much money. Man, the price of 22WMR lately! - if you can find it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And to piggyback on BBI, make sure if you DO go rimfire for a defensive pistol, make sure its a revolver. Because WHEN you have ignition failure (not IF) it will be faster to clear the malfunction.

I can have as almost many rimfire FTFs on a single range trip than I have had in 25 years of casual shooting centerfire.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I am still a "relatively" new to handguns, so don't be too hard on me. I am interested in getting a snub nose revolver to carry occasionaly. Now, Obviously 22wmr is nowhere near the equal of 357 or 38+p, but how much of a disadvantage would you be at carrying a 6 shot 22wmr vs a 5 shot 357/38, considering all 6 shots of 22wmr can probably be put on target more accurately and quicker than possibly a single shot of 357?

So basically is 6 shots of 22wmr equal in stopping power to a single shot of 357/38+p?

No, it's not.

A reliable bullet with a reliable primer far outweighs any benefits a 22wmr, in any quantity, offers.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    From a purely ballistic point of view, the .22 WMR from a handgun is arguably better than a .32 ACP and WAY better than a .22 LR or .25 ACP.

If choosing a rimfire for self defense, go with a revolver. Rimfires do have significantly more misfires than centerfire ammo, but they also have far more malfunctions in semi autos. Choosing a revolver negates the problems with extraction and feeding and makes recovery from a misfire much faster. (pulling the trigger again is faster than tap-rack-bang).

I have no statistical evidence on .22 WMR in particular, but I've had lots of misfires in .22 LR, but I can't remember having any with .22 WMR.

And no matter what else I chose in a rimfire I would shoot 40gr solid nose bullets. At handgun velocities .22 hollow point bullets aren't going to expand anyway and you need that extra mass for penetration

Now...

I would still go with a 5-shot .38 special over a 6 shot .22 WMR. A .22 WMR in a light revolver recoils more than you think. And the triggers are all horrible. They have to be very heavy to reliably ignite the rimfire cartridges. Heck I wold take .38 SPL target loads (158gr SWC target loads or even 148gr WC target loads) to get the recoil down, and still keep reliable penetration.

If recoil is an issue, try the Ruger LC380 semi-auto pistol. They are about the same size and weight as a snubby. Or get a heavier snubby, like a steel framed S&W or Ruger SP101.

I have shot a couple Kel-Tec PMR 30 semi-autos. They were pretty doggone reliable with my limited shooting... If I had to choose between that and a 5 shot .38 snubby, I would have a hard time deciding.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I carry a 5 shot .357mag as an EDC.
    I would not consider a rim fire of any kind for defensive carry unless I couldn't get my hands on anything else.

Just my opinion, YMMV

Top Bottom