• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    I picked up my 2 91/30's last night at my gunshop that I had ordered from AIM surplus TUESDAY!! GO AIM!! They are both BEAUTIFUL rifles. However I ordered two because the plan was/IS to give one to my girlfriends dad for Christmas. But, I have a dilemma I CANNOT decide which to keep.

The Izzy is a 1941 TIGER STRIPED stock, ALL MATCHING #'s (except Bayo), but EVERYTHING matches, bolt, mag plate, buttplate, even the stock has #'s written inside it that match. I love love love the tiger stripe and my M44 is an Izzy so I kind of like that they match in a way!

Now the 1938 Tula is nice as well, I would be surprised if it was ever shot besides the testing that was done at the factory. The wood is nearly flawless, the metal is all perfect no surface rust or anything. However the mag plate is forced matched ( so I guess it was shot some and during a rebuild was force matched ) but it is still in amazing shape. Annnnd I don't have a Tula yet.

Anyway here are some (crappy) pictures. Which would you keep!?

Overall Shot
    1.JPG

Close Up of stocks:

2.JPG

Izzy:
    3.JPG

Tula
    4.JPG

(note; if you happen to be browsing this thread a few weeks after it was posted the pictures will be gone, I clean out my public picture folder every so often in dropbox).

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    the stock looks absolutly amazing on the izzy. but i like the tula also. hard to say close ur eyes and pick one lol nice rifles

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I would keep the Tula, simply because I don't have one, and it seems, around here anyway, they are harder to find than the Izzys. They are both gorgeous though. Depending on your future plans with the girl, hell, keep em both.

Side note: I think Aim surplus is one of the finest on-line companies to deal with that you will ever find. I've ordered lots of ammo from them, and quite a few accesories, and I have gotten exactly what I ordered, in better condition than I expected, every single time. Plus, I could order from them on Monday, and my order will be here,when I get home from work Wednesday.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    keep both and buy him another:D

I wish I would have now!!

I would keep the Tula, simply because I don't have one, and it seems, around here anyway, they are harder to find than the Izzys. They are both gorgeous though. Depending on your future plans with the girl, hell, keep em both.

Side note: I think Aim surplus is one of the finest on-line companies to deal with that you will ever find. I've ordered lots of ammo from them, and quite a few accesories, and I have gotten exactly what I ordered, in better condition than I expected, every single time. Plus, I could order from them on Monday, and my order will be here,when I get home from work Wednesday.

Let's just say that her Christmas present is sparkly and shiny and costs enough to buy a correct IHC Garand that I've been dying to get !

And yes, AIM is AMAZING. I have only bought Pmags from them before but even if I have to pay an extra few dollars I'm definitely going to them for anything they carry that I'm in the market for.

Love the looks of the one on the bottom. No contest for me.

I am leaning that way a TON but it's hard to get rid of a Tula in such great shape!!!

DECISIONS!!!!!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Keep in mind that whatever you give him, you will likely inherit, albeit hopefully a very, very long time from now. If you think about it that way, it doesn't matter which you give him. ;)

Seriously, though, yeah, I'd order another one for him if it was that hard a decision. Mosins are not expensive. If they're too much for three of them and the shiny present at this time, though... flip a coin.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

emst52

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Lafayette, In
    I just got a 1933 Tula hex from aim its beatiful shoots great and ive got a 1934 Izzy. My Izzy will be scoped so gonna leave the Tula as is but if i were you and be easy on me id switch stocks and keep the Tula

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Call me crazy, I'd give him the Izzy. He is about to give you something far more beautiful and precious than a Russian surplus rifle. I would chose honoring him and showing respect rather than continuously buying Mosins until you finally find one you dislike enough to give away.

Nothing says "Thanks!" like a sloppy seconds (or even thirds or fourths) rifle you don't want. (sorry my purple ink ran out)

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I like Izzys better, just because I like the hammer/sickle logo better than the star arrow. I'm sure he'll be happy with either. Or you can just sell me the Izzy... It'll be like my wife's! (only hers is 1931 hex)

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    That is a tough call to make. Those sure are some nice looking rifles. I believe I'd buy one more and then decide.
    After looking at your pics and the Aim site I've about talked myself into buying a round and a hex.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    I believe the Izzy is staying in my safe while the Tula is going to be wrapped up soon. The Tula is in better shape overall and only thing not matching is the mag plate so I figured he can have the one in better shape. Plus now I have two Izzy brothers! I'll have to upload a pic of the M44 and 91/30 together.

I definitely would buy from AIM again even if that means I'm not supporting local stores. Both of these that I got from AIM blow away any Mosin I've seen at MC Sports, Bradis, and Pawn shops. The ones at MC Sports and Bradis were beat up, missing cleaning rods, and my M44's accessories were CAKED in cosmoline. These 91/30s had light oil all over them and a little bit of cosmo in the sling holes. Very easy to clean up, beautiful shiney bores! AIM IS THE WAY TO GO! Plus only $13 to ship the 2 rifles and stripped lower I ordered!

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Top Bottom