• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • POB

Plinker
    Nov 19, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    Oh, I was under the impression it had to be permanent to be legal.

I can solder, if this is legit. What about the "pinning"?

Part of my concern (especially with my favored Dynacomp) is wearing out the comp before the barrel? Another is innovative technology bringing us a much better comp next year, after I committed this barrel to the older device.

There was a big discussion on another forum about it. It is permanent in the sense it can't readily be taken off without heating the thing red hot. There is no pinning. Actually pinning and welding is not really permanent as it can be reversed but with more work involved. I would Google and see for yourself first. I will check in to it myself tomorrow. Cheers

edit: Nevermind about soldering, sounds like it is not such a good idea. Like I said above pin and welding is reversible. Some send their barrels to Adco for the pin and weld and the reversal.My truck/trunk gun is an AR pistol, no pinning or nothing.

Last edited:

Heavy

Marksman
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    I have a Griffin Armament M4SD Flash Comp, it is sort of a jack of all trades muzzle device brake/compensator/flash suppressor. I'm as far from operator as one can get, and I'm still learning, but I have all good things to say about it. It came on the American Defense Manufacturing UIC mod 2 I treated myself to earlier this year. 14.5''bbl as well with this comp taking it to legal length, and I do believe it comes pre drilled for the pin. As an added bonus, if you decide to quiet your rifle in the future it is compatible with the Griffin Armament QD suppressors (not sure if it's compatible with other makes of QD suppressors). $100 on their website here's a link just for good measure...https://www.griffinarmament.com/M4SD-5-56-Flash-Comp-1-2x28-p/xhp556fc.htm

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a Griffin Armament M4SD Flash Comp, it is sort of a jack of all trades muzzle device brake/compensator/flash suppressor. I'm as far from operator as one can get, and I'm still learning, but I have all good things to say about it. It came on the American Defense Manufacturing UIC mod 2 I treated myself to earlier this year. 14.5''bbl as well with this comp taking it to legal length, and I do believe it comes pre drilled for the pin. As an added bonus, if you decide to quiet your rifle in the future it is compatible with the Griffin Armament QD suppressors (not sure if it's compatible with other makes of QD suppressors). $100 on their website here's a link just for good measure...https://www.griffinarmament.com/M4SD-5-56-Flash-Comp-1-2x28-p/xhp556fc.htm

I like that one. It doesn't look like it's missing something without the suppressor on it.

I mentioned that suppressors weren't an option. That said, I forget that we've just had a resounding victory in the election. Maybe if we get ourselves together and take the advantage we need to, we can get legislation passed to get suppressors off the NFA? Everything we have might need a suppressor then?

Bsj425

Plinker
    Dec 19, 2014
    Jeffersonville
    The hearing protection act is already in motion. This gets suppressors off of the NFA. Contact your reps and get them to sign on as co sponsors.

Heavy

Marksman
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    I'm a half empty kind of guy most of the time, that way things can only go up! That being said, I get a bit giddy thinking about the HPA passing, of course that's usually short lived and I return to my old self. Much like the election, I hope I get this wrong too!

Deprime

Plinker
    Apr 6, 2009
    Hancock Co.
    I really like the Strike Industries J-Comp. Great performance for a low price. Typically $26.99 to $29.99.

I have two myself and I put one on my father's rifle as well. They are long enough to pin/weld onto a 14.5" to get legal.

seedubs1

Master
    Jan 17, 2013

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Thank you again for that deal sir!

The BCM Mod1 is on another barrel at this time. It could well be moved to a 14.5" barrel if it's decided as the best option to become part of that barrel for good.

I've heard that BCM comp is a good option giving the best of flash reduction and recoil management, But recently, and especially if this suppressor thing works out, I'm liking the sound of griffin flash hider/suppressor adapter... I just really like that system if you want to take the possibility of a suppressor into account for the future.

I will aslo recomend the surefire socom 5.56 brake, its expensive ($134.00 if you can find it in stock), its loud but it makes your rifle shoot super flat. I've got one on my 14.5 and I've got a few hundred rounds through it and its definitely worth it.

Pics

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I'm toying with buying a 14.5" barrel to pin/weld for a short as legal lightweight 5.56 AR truck gun.

personally.... I'd rather go w a 16" barrel and no muzzle device for a 'truck gun' than deal with the extra cost/hassle of something pinned....
    Besides, A simple A2 FH adds what, 1" to oal?
    some of these suggested above are pretty pricey and long (will end up about the length of 16"+A2. A2 isn't a horrible comp or FH for <$10.

when I think truck gun, I think simple, inexpensive, adequate to get home with... won't cry if stolen or parts rust...

-rvb

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Why no love for the.Battle Comp BC1.5? I've blind pin & welded mine onto a Colt M4 profile 14.5" and love it.

aclark

Master
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I like that one. It doesn't look like it's missing something without the suppressor on it.

I mentioned that suppressors weren't an option. That said, I forget that we've just had a resounding victory in the election. Maybe if we get ourselves together and take the advantage we need to, we can get legislation passed to get suppressors off the NFA? Everything we have might need a suppressor then?

Why not hold out for the hearing protection act, then weld a suppressor onto an 11-12" barrel? If they come off of nfa the prices will surely start going down. :rockwoot:

Slow Hand

Master
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I have that comp on my 16" Troy carbine. It's amazing how flat it shoots! It is loud, but then so are most all comps.

Burl, when pinning and welding, you are drilling through the muzzle attachment and partially through the barrel. The pin is driven in and weld covers the pin, locking it in place. A good smith or machinist can easily cut through the weld, remove the pin and allow you to change out muzzle devices at a later time. It will most likely destroy the MA, but it is an option. When it comes to metal, nothing is really 'permanent'!

I've heard that BCM comp is a good option giving the best of flash reduction and recoil management, But recently, and especially if this suppressor thing works out, I'm liking the sound of griffin flash hider/suppressor adapter... I just really like that system if you want to take the possibility of a suppressor into account for the future.

I will aslo recomend the surefire socom 5.56 brake, its expensive ($134.00 if you can find it in stock), its loud but it makes your rifle shoot super flat. I've got one on my 14.5 and I've got a few hundred rounds through it and its definitely worth it.

Pics

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thanks Doug. First report I've heard that the muzzle device could be removed after the pin/weld.

Do some comps wear over time and rounds fired? Specifically the one's with smaller ports such as the Battlecomp and my Spikes Dynacomp?

Top Bottom