• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I done minimal reloading back in the very early 80s for a 30-30 I owned, borrowing the equipment from a friend.Sold the gun, discovered muzzleloading rifles and for the past 30+ years been doing that. In the past few years I have bought several handguns and would like to try reloading again for those. I can wait till the dust settles from a current shortages but once they do I'd like to do some buying. As of now it would be reloading for primarily .357(.38) and 9mm, and after I'm comfortable with it 7.62X25 Tok, and of course who knows what guns might follow me home in the meantime. As of now the only centerfire rifles I have are military surplus and I have quite a bit of surplus ammo for them and likely the only one I might even consider reloading for in the future would be the K31 and if the milsurp ammo stays in the same price range for it, I doubt I would even reload for it.(their ammo is just too good as is).
    So, which press ? I have watched tons of youtube videos with guys using various presses and at this point I really like the Lee Classic Turret Press (just from the videos). I won't say money is no issue, because the frugal side of me won't buy just because of higher price or color of press. I won't be reloading for competition, just defense and fun shooting. Your thoughts ?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    For me, since I am brand new to reloading and am a minimalist person at heart, I went with a RCBS Rockchucker. I don't shoot a lot(at least not yet) and I figure during Winter I will be able to casually load enough ammo to last the next season.

And during the season if I need a 100 rounds or so, I can easily load those in an evening or two during the week. 50 rounds per hour, 1.5 hours per night and I could have 375 rounds ready for the weekend if need be.

Plus, my set-up is portable and the Rockchucker tucks away nicely on a shelf when I am not using it .

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    For the needs you expressed, the Lee Classic Turret is absolutely the right tool. If you were loading mostly rifle cases, with a relatively small number of pistol rounds, a single-stage like the RockChucker would be the way to go. For the guy who will only have 1 press, and load mostly pistol ammo, the Lee Classic Turret is excellent.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    I have the Lee Classic Turret Press, and it does everything I need. I load mostly handgun ammo - 9mm, .45ACP, .38 Spcl, .357 Magnum - and a couple of rifle calibers - .223 and .30-30. The Lee works fine on all of them. I use the carbide dies for the handgun loads. Also use the Lee Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure. The press is stout and simple to work. Adjustments are easy, and everything works as advertised. I definitely would recommend this press.

Enthusiast

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    I have an old Lee three stage press that works adequately for my needs. Still, if I had the money I wouldn't mind a unit with more bells and whistles.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    If you're planning on just handgun, maybe a Dillon Square Deal B? Only thing is it requires Dillon specialized dies, which isn't bad considering you don't have any dies yet.

Hornady makes a single stage press kit and includes a lot of tools, they're $350 or less

Lyman also makes a press kit and a progressive that's not too much.

Just really depends on how many you want to crank out and how much you want to invest in equipment.

Steelworker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Allen County
    I'm very happy with my Lee Classic Turret Press. Buy spare turrets and its a quick change to the next caliber that you want to load. I will say that the Pro auto disk measures (at least for me) work well or they will throw somewhat erratically. I have 3 of them. Two will throw a consistent charge. The last one wont.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Whichever way I go the plan is to get one of the "kits". That seems the way to go from a price standpoint since right now I have nothing related to reloading. I do have a digital scale and casting equipment from my muzzleloading hobby. The plan would be to also cast my bullets at least for the .357 and .38. I have accrued some harder lead than I can use in my flintlocks over the years. Once I have the "kit" I can add some extra bells and whistles as it were.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    I will say that the Pro auto disk measures (at least for me) work well or they will throw somewhat erratically. I have 3 of them. Two will throw a consistent charge. The last one wont.

I would agree with this - seems to be powder specific. I use 700X and Titegroup for the handgun calibers. The Auto Disk seems to work fine on the Titegroup, but sometimes throws a light charge on the 700X. So I load all the cases with powder and then do a visual check for any light ones.

I also agree with the idea of extra turrets - they're cheap and make caliber changes very quick and easy.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Been using a Lee Turret press, the same one in fact, for more than thirty years. I did upgrade it from 3 hole to 4 hole when the technology changed. That, extra turrets & the ProAutoDisk powder measure and another with the double disk kit added allows me to change calibers quickly and drop the charges I want to drop rather precisely (Double Disk Kit adds a whole next dimension) I load on more than 30 calibers. I use all sorts of powder from fine ball to larger flakes like Red Dot and have no trouble with charges. I do weight every tenth or so and always visually check the case as I load it. I'd do that with any system so I think I personally would willingly suggest you to go Lee.

The Le kit is good except the scale IMO, never liked Lee's scale. I bought myself a Redding #2 beam scale and gave the Lee to a friend who liked it. Otherwise the Lee Turret Press Kit is a really good way to get yourself all the equipment to get a good start for the firt caliber you want to load. Then all you need is to add dies & turrets to keep yourself in the game.

Casting our own boolits will free up a lot of online stress. No searching for bullets. I have been shooting all lead in my handguns for a long time w/o leading and other problems.

10mm Snack Pack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    New Castle
    I have a rcbs turret press. It's been great. Lee or rcbs you can't go wrong. I defiantly go turret though. Reloading is as rewarding and enjoyable as shooting.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    the book really is fantastic, even after casting for years I found a lot of new info in it.
    I even loaded it to me Kindle Fire to re read now and then when I am waiting for doctors etc.

Top Bottom