• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I'm torn on a new red dot for one of my SBR's. I don't know if I want the Sparc II, Strikefire II, Spitfire (I know it's technically not a red dot) an EOTech or something else. It currently has a Sight Mark SM14000. It's a decent sight but I'm kind of wanting something else. The EOTech I'm looking at is the one that uses AA batteries. I have a Sparc II on a different SBR and like it but kind of want something different. The EOTech is about 2 1/2 ties the price of the others. I'm a bit leary of them due to the recent recall. My budget is kind of open and odd due to the fact it's a Paypal credit that I can only spend online and maybe only at Bass Pro, Gander Mountain and Dick's. Their prices are somewhat compatible so in stock is the real kicker.
    Any help or thoughts is very welcome.
    Dan

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Well... the EOTech wasn't a recall. It was a buyback for people that didn't like that they won't perform to the advertised spec. I still have mine. Still like it better than most sights but I have astigmatism so red dots are tough for me to use.

The Spitfire looks good to me. There's a little image distortion but not bad. Crisp reticle, dual color or just black when turned off. It's a touch on the heavy side but so is the EOTech.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Well... the EOTech wasn't a recall. It was a buyback for people that didn't like that they won't perform to the advertised spec. I still have mine. Still like it better than most sights but I have astigmatism so red dots are tough for me to use.

The Spitfire looks good to me. There's a little image distortion but not bad. Crisp reticle, dual color or just black when turned off. It's a touch on the heavy side but so is the EOTech.

I thought it was a recall as I didn't have one so I never really looked into it. Thanks for the info.

tacticalmaster45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 18, 2016
    Evansville
    I have both an Aimpoint Pro, Trijicon MRO, and two Eotechs - both awesome sights. I love how compact the MRO is and its easy to access dial. The PRO is cool because it include flip caps and a ratchet mount. I also have experience with RMR's, Razor's, Eotech's, and T1's - its hard to go wrong with any of these choices. I actually was surprised that so many Eotech owners overreacted to the lawsuit involving the "loss of zero" at extreme temps. I personally have never operated any of my Eotechs below 40 degrees or above 100 degrees because I am not subjected to that kind of environment in my "Area of Operation", but I also believe that 90% of civilian shooters out there will never be subjected to the reported extreme temps either so it really doesn't matter. Just buy what YOU like, and ignore the fanboys out there that try to use "Mil-spec" only sighting systems.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Primary Arms MD-ADS < Trijicon MRO < Aimpoint H/T series

If you don't care about weight / size, the Aimpoint Pro is worth looking at, but IMHO, I'd go with a MRO over the AP Pro for a general use RDS and save on the weight / bulk.

Those are what I'd be looking into. They all have excellent battery life. Lots of positive results from durability tests on all of them. They don't weight much, and they perform well. Pretty much everything else out there is either heavier, not as robust, or doesn't have enough battery life to leave the RDS on 24/7.

Lots of people will argue that the MRO is equal or better to the Aimpoint micro red dots. Lots of others will argue the opposite. Seems like it's personal preference between the two, but the MRO is significantly cheaper in cost.

alclark2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Muncie
    I have the Spitfire and really like it on the AR. I'm not to familiar with the SPARC AR yet. I pulled it out of the package and checked it out but haven't had time to test it. Might be something to consider also. I'm not sure on the improvements form the original SPARC series.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    It depends what you want to do with it. Serious use? Aimpoint Micro T1. I like my Eotech but reserve it for a gun that is not going to be called upon for immediate use because of the battery life. All of the other ones you list I would consider range toys only.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I'm not to familiar with the SPARC AR yet. I pulled it out of the package and checked it out but haven't had time to test it. Might be something to consider also. I'm not sure on the improvements form the original SPARC series.

I have a SPARC AR, and I really like it. It is definitely much better protected in its rubber casing than the SPARC II, but I think they are similar technologies. Mine seems to hold zero very well, and I have not problem picking up the red dot, even in direct sunlight.

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    I'm torn on a new red dot for one of my SBR's. I don't know if I want the Sparc II, Strikefire II, Spitfire (I know it's technically not a red dot) an EOTech or something else. It currently has a Sight Mark SM14000. It's a decent sight but I'm kind of wanting something else. The EOTech I'm looking at is the one that uses AA batteries. I have a Sparc II on a different SBR and like it but kind of want something different. The EOTech is about 2 1/2 ties the price of the others. I'm a bit leary of them due to the recent recall. My budget is kind of open and odd due to the fact it's a Paypal credit that I can only spend online and maybe only at Bass Pro, Gander Mountain and Dick's. Their prices are somewhat compatible so in stock is the real kicker.
    Any help or thoughts is very welcome.
    Dan

I have two Vortex Spitfires (1x and 3x version) and have been happy with both.

KANER88

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    indianapolis
    just mounted a brand new eotech 512 on my ar last night and it doesn't mount exactly straight, it is sort of cropped to the left at an angle which is sort of annoying but if it straps down tight and you can sight it in and co witness with back up sites Id say its fair game. I have both this optic and a sparc II. got my sparc for $120 used in new condition and my eotech used in new condition for $280. If you search well enough there are deals out there. I have to say I would definitely go with the eotech everytime. favorite optic. next thinking of going after an acog. I think it is definitely worth the price difference

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I dislike the mini red dots (like Bushnells TRS or similar type). Out front I see too much and the tube is small.
    Closer to the eye they might work decent.

Mounted farther out I prefer a 30mm sight. I bought a lesser type to verify I like it and it works great.
    It will be replaced with an Aimpoint PRO.

If I had an iron sighted rig , then maybe one of the little reflex sights (Burris Fast Fire type) clocked would be good.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Trying to decide between an Aimpoint Pro and an EOTech 512. Both are about the same price and the EOTech comes with a camera. Thoughts?
    EOTech
    Aimpoint Pro

Edit: This isn't for the SBR. This is for a 16" carbine.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Trying to decide between an Aimpoint Pro and an EOTech 512. Both are about the same price and the EOTech comes with a camera. Thoughts?
    EOTech
    Aimpoint Pro

Edit: This isn't for the SBR. This is for a 16" carbine.

Two totally different beasts. I like the reticle and the extra upper end brightness on the Eotech vs. the PRO. For me the big advantage for the PRO is battery life. You can leave it on and change the batteries out once a year.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    Eotech are my favorite. By far. If you know how to use the reticle it's a good range finder at the same time, as well as allowing you to compensate for 7m firing, 50m firing or 300m firing simply by aiming differently. It's what's on my "business" carbine. I like the MRO also though. Smaller, lighter, cheaper. I have one on a PS90 and one on a 300blk pistol. SBR, id sight MRO in close and just roll with it as is. For shooting 100 yards or more I'd do an Eotech. And only CR123 single ones. With the threaded battery cap, not the separate plastic mount. That was the worst thing about an eotech. They fixed it and they are damn near perfect, especially with a magnifier. Only thing on par with it would be an Elcan that is the x4 integrated and can switch back and forth. But it's also like twice the price.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I have 3 Aimpoint T1s, a T2, a Trijicon RMR, and an Eotech EXPS. I prefer the Eotech over the others, except for the weight, but I hate taking it places and having people tell me some story about how Eotechs are all garbage.

Top Bottom