• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I would preferably like to spend < ~ $500. Any help?

Most of us end up spending your budget (and sometimes a good bit more) just on peripheral stuff (case cleaners, scales, size gauges, tumblers, caliber conversions, tools, spare parts, etc. etc. ).

Buying used or rethinking single stage might get you closer to your bogey, assuming that you have already got the sturdy bench / well lit work area issues dealt with.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I'd say 550 all the way. Twitty, if you're in the area next year (this month is stupid full for me) you should stop by and I'll let you run through some 9mm on it. It's not that hard, just have to take your time at first and not skip any steps.

The 550 was my first press and I've only had a few messed up cases and had to pull a few bullets with missing primers. All from trying to go too fast at the beginning.

FrankNstein

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Starting out on the cheap, reloading pistol plinker rounds, I used the Lee anniversery kit. It made thousands of rounds before I broke it de-priming military .223.
    Dillon 550 does the pistol calibers and plinker .223, Rockchucker does the fancy .223 and .308.
    Starting single stage let me really learn about crimping and case prep, etc.
    E.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Anyone hand loading should have a single stage mounted regardless of progressive, just for fixing issues. Mine is currently loaded with a universal decapping die.

Guys like to tinker and ignore the directions... hand loading is not a place to do that. Buy a manual read it before loading...period.

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    I just bought a 550 and I cannot recommend Dillon or Profire enough. The primer tubes I got with the Dillon were wrong so I called Dilon to get new ones and they sent them to me free!!! Absolutely unheard of. They are the best - bar none.
    As far as a single stage goes.... I can't say. I don't have one. But for a progressive - Dillon. Period.

Top Bottom