• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I'm finally to the point where I'll be reloading 222, 223 and 308. Used often enough to justify the purchas of the press and dies so that I can tailor the loads to specific guns. I've been using Lee dies for pistols but need all the updated info and suggestions/opinions on rifle set ups. I'll be using a Lee Classic Cast Breech Lock

222-all fired from one gun, varmint and range use, no competition
    223-several ARs, range use and SHTF
    308-deer/boar, range and max at 600 yards realistically

The 308 will probably need a full length resizer since I get brass from 2 other guns as well. So let's figure neck and full length needed for all 3 calibers. Which brands/models have the quality and pros/cons? Reasonable priced pieces please, this isn't Bench Rest Competition

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I recommend Full Length sizing for the AR as well as the .308. You do not need a separate neck sizing die if you are full length sizing. I am assuming the .222 is a bolt action, you can probably get by with only nech sizing there.

You did not mention any custom pattern match or special purpose chambers, so standard dies will be all that is needed. Lee dies are very true to SAAMI spec, so they will be fine. If you are loading very precise benchrest type ammo with delicate bullets like the Berger VLD, I would recommend a sliding alignment type bullet seater like the Redding brand. If you are just loading common production bullets, the plain seater die that comes with the LEE set is all you will need.

Good Luck

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I recommend Full Length sizing for the AR as well as the .308. You do not need a separate neck sizing die if you are full length sizing. I am assuming the .222 is a bolt action, you can probably get by with only nech sizing there.

You did not mention any custom pattern match or special purpose chambers, so standard dies will be all that is needed. Lee dies are very true to SAAMI spec, so they will be fine. If you are loading very precise benchrest type ammo with delicate bullets like the Berger VLD, I would recommend a sliding alignment type bullet seater like the Redding brand. If you are just loading common production bullets, the plain seater die that comes with the LEE set is all you will need.

Good Luck

+1-Well stated Leo..

For GREAT One on One information, get over to ProFire Arms & Supply, and discuss this with Andrew. He will give you some GREAT info on this topic.

YES, the Lee dies will work..YES the Redding dies will work WELL..

As said before "Buy Once, Cry Once"...Bill.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I have shot numerous sub-half MOA groups from bolt guns using ammunition loaded with Lee dies in 223, 223AI and 260 Remington.

That said, I now use Forster Ultra for the 260, and Redding Competition micrometer seaters for my 223 Ackley, mostly for consistency seating VLD bullets.

All my Mk262 clone ammo is loaded with Lee Pacesetters, and I find they provide excellent value. You can spend more and get more, but the value-per-dollar is hard to beat IMO.

I have gone to FL sizing everything, every time, with the exception of my 223AI which often gets the Lee Collet die in 223 Rem.

seawolfxix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Kansas City
    IMO, Lee Pacesetter sets are your best options if you don't need the neck sizing die. If you do need the neck sizing die, it's usually more cost-effective to buy the Lee Deluxe set, and then purchase the factory crimp die separately.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I've loaded 1000`s of .223, .30-06,and. 308 on Lee dies without issue. Anything for a semi auto should be full length sized, bolt gun you can neck size. Sure there are better options, but they will serve you well.

Top Bottom