Which self defense style do you train with?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    I have decided take a self defense course, martial arts, boxing, etc. you get the idea. I am in good shape thru weight lifting and running.

I would like to learn basic self defense techniques in a short time.

Anyone with personal experience and advise?

Redacted

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Westville
    I would learn some basic block and strikes. Blocks mainly, learn pressure points. ie. Where to strike and for what desired effect.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    This is really all you need.

[video=youtube;B5fjmu4899c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5fjmu4899c[/video]

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I just took the MCS course a couple weeks back. First time taking something like that. I psyched myself up but it was very informative and didn't involve taking years of training before the basics were down.

Do I feel that I can take on any adversary? No Do I think that in a weekends time I can defend myself better? Yes

As mentioned though, whatever you decide on, it will take time and practice, which I am still working on.

If you look for Mercop you can get the details. If you decide that he is worth the time let me know as I will gladly take another class to help with my old man's memory.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    [video=youtube;sbks5ks9d0I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbks5ks9d0I[/video]

Note... this is comedy and parody... not to be taken seriously!

Last edited:

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I have 20+ in martial arts experience. (Including wrestling, boxing/kickboxing, Tae Kwon Do, Muay Thai, Judo, and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.) That being said there are not really many "courses" that are going to even get you to get the basics down. Courses in my book are like 1-3 day seminars. If your definition is something longer than that then maybe you can. A lot depends on the quality of the instructor, your ability to retain info, your previous skill level, etc. But it really takes lots of time and repetition to get any amount if skill level, especially in an actual fight or SD situation. I have seen A LOT of people with months of training completely fold and forget everything they know when they get that first punch to the face.

so let me ask how long do you have to dedicate to your training? And when you say a "short time", how long is that to you?

Last edited:

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    There really is no 'one best style', and a LOT of it depends solely on the commitment of the individual.

Like many (most?) long time martial artists I know, they have studied and trained in a variety of martial arts (Shotokan, tae kwon do, aikido, hapkido, ju-jitsu, Ed Parker's American Kenpo, Jeet Kune Do, boxing, wrestling) are but some examples.

Actual 'street fighting' and 'self defense' often boils down to an amalgamation of 'styles' and 'systems' of techniques, from whatever martial art(s), that actually work.

Everyone has different assets, and limitations. Male, female, big & 'hulking' or small and diminutive, 'lumbering' or 'calculating'. ALL are assets, ALL are liabilities. Whatever YOUR particular set of physical and mental assets are, you're 'stuck' with them.

The 'true secret' to martial arts is NOT that there is one 'best' (as if OFTEN bandied), but that the martial artists must seek to maximize his / her assets and minimize his / her liabilities. That being the case, typically the 'best' self-defense fighter is the one that THINKS, allowing that maximization of his / her assets.

Just keep in mind that engaging in fisticuffs (other than for retention) is NOT an option when an individual carries a firearm.

bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    My ability to learn the basics of any one fighting style would be 3 months or so. I would expect at least a year and more to have some competence in a fight.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    OP it sounds like what you want is some type of combatives. Most combatives programs, whether it be ours, or Southnarcs, or MCS, or .RBFC, or another vetted organization, are going to try to give you is a RELATIVELY simple, effective, method of H2H self protection INTEGRATED with weapons. This is not to say that you won't have to practice the information, you will. Unlike many TMA's though you won't spend years learning things that will have little to no effect on your actual self defense ability. You will start with learning a few key techniques that are then pressure tested. If you put in some time to make them reactive, they will serve you well and you can go from there. Just like you don't have to be a USPSA Grandmaster to defend yourself with a handgun, you don't have to be Black Belt to defend yourself against a bad guy on the street.

Before all of the TMA guys get angry let me say I love the Traditional martial arts. Some have way more value than other, but one thing they have in common is a lot of years studying a whole bunch of stuff. Some of this stuff is unneeded if all you want to do is learn how to apply your skills in protection of yourself or loved ones. I enjoyed my time in Tae Kwon Do, but I will tell you up front that their were many black belts there that I could literally have pounded with one hand tied. I loved Kyokushin and it is very hard core, but in three years of multiple time a week sessions all I learned was hard strikes, block, and kicks. No study of pre assault cues, no intermediate force options, no clinch work, no ground work, no integration of weapons, unless you count traditional Japanese weapons. There was lots of heavy sparring which is good.

The benefit in my eyes that a lot of the TMA's have, is accountability. You report to class multiple times a week, for many weeks for many years. If there is any type of honesty and pressure testing in the system (which is all too often not the case), you will be able to track your progress. For many of the combatives systems to work you have to be a self motivater and pretty honest with yourself. Ideally you would set up a training group of like minded people and work your skills under pressure.

If you have the time and resources to dedicate to a good martial arts program, go for it. Just make sure to do your homework and pick something that is actually going to be able to deliver what you need. Start with something like a well regarded BJJ gym and go from there. If you don't know what that would look like, ask someone like iChokePeople here on the board.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    My ability to learn the basics of any one fighting style would be 3 months or so. I would expect at least a year and more to have some competence in a fight.

3 months of serious training with a good trainer can get you the basic foundation. As others said Krav Maga might suit you well. As someone else stated BJJ is the most practical of all of the other "traditional martial arts" I have studied. But for someone with no martial art background you could probably get more practical SD training out of 3 months of KM than BJJ. BJJ is far more complex and just takes much more time to master.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    [video=youtube;FNmXGzgq0ls]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNmXGzgq0ls&index=7&list=PL27D283350F0A371 F[/video]

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Id say you cant learn techniques quickly. Just like everything else it takes time. Ive boxed for 10 years now and Im going to start taking tae kwon do again next week and Im hoping that a good judo or ju jitsu instructor will show up locally. No matter what you take keep your techniques and training simple but rigorous. You also have to take into account your body type to mazimize your performance in a real defensive scenerio. Being well rounded in grappling, stand and include these forms into your firearm training is key to being well rounded.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    if you decide to study krav, keep in mind that there are VERY FEW certified krav instructors in the midwest. do you your homework on who is teaching you.

Top Bottom