• ...and so much more!
  • Which timezone does IN belong in?

• Total voters

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    No option to vote for removing all time zones? I would love 0700 in Japan to be 0700 in Europe to be 0700 in the US.

It would surely simplify our global lives.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    For the purposes of this poll I'm just talking about what is up for debate at the state level.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Indiana has the advantage of being the western-most state in the Eastern time zone. Being the eastern-most state in the Central time zone would suck.

We didn't NEED daylight savings, but going to central time would be a HUGE mistake...
    Gary can stay with Chicago. We should stay Eastern.

I had my doubts about daylight savings, but I do like being able to cut the grass after work, or to go shoot.

Go live in Boston for few years and then come back and tell me we don't have it great here.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Fort Wayne's solar-zenith (noon) on June 21st, as figured by averaging 0608 EDT sunrise & 2116 EDT sunset:

EDT (GMT-4) = 13:42 (1:42pm)
    EST (GMT-5) = 12:42 (12:42pm)
    CST (GMT-6) = 11:42 (11:42am)

Which seems more accurate?

I had my doubts about daylight savings, but I do like being able to cut the grass after work, or to go shoot.

If you want to have sunlight after work, change your work hours...stop making clocks lie, IMO.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Personally, I think DST is a joke. No need for it at all. I'd even go so far as to agree with CampingJosh, and do away with Time Zones all together. I work with folks all across the country (and even a few oversees), and it would nice to just say "the conference call is at 0700", and not have to figure out what time that actually is for everyone.

But, sticking with your poll, I believe that Central fits us better as far as "classic time" goes. The sun is essentially overhead at noon when we are on "central" time.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Chicago is HUGE, and Indiana does a ton of business with Chicago. Just seems to make sense to be on the same time as the nearest mega-city.

That aside, just pick ONE. It makes my job when traveling very, very confusing having to keep track of which county is on which time zone this particular year. Not to mention the schools that observe a different time zone than is technically assigned to them, but that wouldn't happen if we were all the same. It's really just nonsense that counties were able to pick what they wanted.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Of course, it could be worse.

We could be in one of the zones that is on the 1/2 hour.
    I am posting at 5PM EDT, and it is 6:30PM in Newfoundland and 5:30PM in Venezuela.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    DST has always been a waste of resources and one of the more ludicrous things humans have come up with.

I used to be so proud that I lived in one of the two states with enough common sense to know that.

Then they compounded the insult by aligning us with eastern time.

Maybe this will be a step in the right direction.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    DST or not, Indiana should be on Central Time year-round. It's a joke that we're on east-coast time. That said, if I recall, isn't the federal government responsible for which time-zone we're in? I seem to remember that the state government supplies a preference but the final decision is up to the feds. Does anyone know for sure one way or the other?

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Why be on the same time zone as Chitcago? Haven't we had too much influence from Chitown yet?

You're problem is really with Cook County and within the city-limits of Chicago. As a whole, the rest of the state of Illinois is basically as conservative and decent as Indiana. We're midwesterners. Like it or not, Chicago is a major city in the midwest. Besides, given the choice between aligning myself with New York or Chicago, it's a no-brainer; Chicago wins hands down.

Besides, most New Yorkers I've met are Grade-A *******s.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I can understand where it would seem to make sense that Indiana be in the CTZ, but coming home at 4:30 in the afternoon in the dark would not be fun. At least with the current time, I get to a chance to do a few things around the house before its dark, with CTZ time, my weekends would be full with catching up from not being able to do anything outside through the week.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    You're problem is really with Cook County and within the city-limits of Chicago. As a whole, the rest of the state of Illinois is basically as conservative and decent as Indiana. We're midwesterners. Like it or not, Chicago is a major city in the midwest. Besides, given the choice between aligning myself with New York or Chicago, it's a no-brainer; Chicago wins hands down.

Besides, most New Yorkers I've met are Grade-A *******s.

Nothing against Ellinois, just hate Chitown. Besides, if Indiana went central, my clocks would stay on eastern. Has something to do with the big town across the river that effects 99% of our lives around here. Actually the entire SE corner is effected by either Cincinnati or Lousiville.

Top Bottom