• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seabass

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Ummm Nope. I don't recall ever signing any agreement personally that limits what types of ammo I can use. I will use whatever I have on hand if needed. Show me where it says ANYWHERE that if I an individual uses anything but FMJ that I will be guilty of 'war crimes'.

I'm assuming Iroquois is referring to the Geneva Convention (which is incorrect). Or he is referring to The Hague Convention (which would be partially correct) predates Geneva by 50 years and does prohibit use of any expanding ammunition in INTERNATIONAL conflicts.

The International Committee of the Red Cross's customary international law study contends that customary law now prohibits their use in armed conflicts not of an international character. Though I'm not sure what bearing that would have in a domestic courts.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    If some one is standing behind a door and you want to shoot them, use the FMJ. If you are face to face you want a HP. They do more damage to the person you shot. I keep my carry gun loaded with HP and the back up mag has FMJ. My reasoning is that I have a mag loaded with FMJ rounds that I can put in the gun if I have to shoot at someone behind a dumpster, car door or such. In short I keep and reload both.

The guy that posted that you can't use HP in a war is wrong from what I have read. It is dumb dumb bullets that can't be used in war. That was what I read some years back and I have no idea where to find it at this point. It was one of those busting myths things.

Last edited:

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    That whole "can't use hollowpoints in war myth" must be pretty popular since our military abides by it , even against non uniformed insurgents.
    I'm pretty sure if the U N sends troops here it will be to bolster an unpopular regime and it won't matter what you use. All our rights will have been suspended by then.

nomadicmutt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    Re: hollow points vs UN troops: (IANAL)
    As far as I know, those conventions (Hague and Geneva and others) only apply to uniformed representatives of the signatories of the conventions. Conventions are like treaties, basically.
    Nowadays the us military exclusively uses fmj, even against un-uniformed terrorists because A) it's cheaper, B) it simplifies supply lines, and C) it protects the leaders politically against the hyper-liberal terrorist apologists.

Now, the fact that they'd stick you with the label "domestic terrorist" and hang you for that is almost guaranteed.

Onionsanddragons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 13, 2014
    Terre Haute
    Mostly FMJ for me, but I do pick up an extra box of JHP any time I see a good price in a load I like. Even if I already have a couple. It's good to have extra, and if I'm not really short I try to be in the habit of firing a mag of it every time or so at the range, just to stay familiar and be sure it works like it should.

remington870

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Hebron
    I would say definitely stock up on FMJ. Its a lot cheaper. They only reason I have JHP is so if I have to use my weapon in a PD situation, my bullet wont go through and cause unneeded damage. If things go sour and the economy collapses, it won't really matter.

Bobkunz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2016
    Bean Blossom
    My personal theory is pick a reliable caliber and stock it however you can (JHP/FMJ is irrelevant). Try to keep prepping weapons in that caliber. Collection guns are a totally different story. My personal preference is 38SPCL and 357MAG. Revolvers are reliable weapons and you can stockpile them regardless of state of residence (California I am looking at you). Ruger makes a rifle that's chambered in 357MAG and is a reliable hunting rifle. With the proper knowledge and tools you can get a AR chambered in 357. Coonan makes a 1911 chambered in 357. Now you have an armory full of weapons capable of swapping ammunition. Yes, you can do this with 9mm too; but 9mm is not a good hunting round like 357 can be.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    My stash is mostly FMJ (slugs and buckshot too). For a rifle I don't there is a big disadvantage for FMJ but I think JHP clearly is a better choice for a handgun.
    On the other hand, part of stocking for SHTF is that resupply won't be available, so better to buy in quantity. I buy FMJ

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Can't believe most folks are recommending what I would...FMJ or hard cast, They go through more rows/layers/trees/barriers and even the guy in front tends to notice they've been shot. As mentioned earlier everything eats it; single shot, bolt action, single action, double action or automatics.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Ammo without magazines is useless to me, quality hallow point ammo loaded into quality magazines all loaded and ready to go for me.

Speer Gold dot 147 grain 9mm and Speer Gold Dot 75 grain .223 ammo is all I use. Shoot quality cheap ammo when playing or practicing though.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom