• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    So im looking to buy a weapon light for my AR15. I want it to be a nice one. It needs to be as bright and as light as possible. Ive been looking at the SUREFIRE X300, its only like 3.5oz and looks pretty compact. Is this a good one to get? Are their better ones in the catagory that im looking for? Any help is greatly appreciated!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    It needs to be as bright and as light as possible.

Why? Are you only going to be using it outdoors?

There is such a thing as "too much light" indoors.

I personally prefer lights under 200 lumens.

Ive been looking at the SUREFIRE X300, its only like 3.5oz and looks pretty compact. Is this a good one to get?

Its designed as a pistol light. It can be used on a rifle, and some do, but I personally think they are a bit awkward.

The best setups I've seen position the light at 12 o'clock in front of the BUIS. This allows you to activate the light from either side with either thumb. It also means your barrel won't cast a shadow.

images

Are their better ones in the catagory that im looking for?

How "nice" do you wanna go?

The Surefire Mini-Scouts are nice.

LT752-02.jpg

MountingOptionsM300-LT752_lr.jpg

Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    Thanks for the input guys. I had just seen the x300 used on other rifles that I had seen and I thought it looked compact and weights very little. Id like the best bang for the buck.... but I suppose thats always the case on just about anything! : )

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    The TLR-1 is a nice light. I just installed one on y 930 SPX with a remote switch. The remoeawitch comeswith rail mounts and the light has a rail mount. 160 lumens c4 led.

kilo11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Avon,IN
    A light on an AR15 is one of those things where quality DOES matter.

The SF X300 is a great choice! They are pretty expensive, but the quality is unparalleled. If you don't like the standard toggle switch, SF makes a tapeswitch backplate for the X300 with 7" cord for mounting the X300 on a rifle. With the tapeswitch you can mount the light where it's most convenient and run the switch to your support hand. Great light, very compact and lightweight. The newer models put out around 200 lumens of light, which is plenty for indoor and will get you out to 100yds. outdoors.

The SF scout lights are a phenomenal choice as well. They are also very compact and lightweight. The newer models will give you about 200 lumens of light. The great thing about the scout is the selection of mounts. Haley Strategic, Gear Sector, and Larue all have great mounts for the scout that will pull the light in close to the gun at an offset. The offset is really nice. The mini scout is really cool as well. It's even smaller and lighter, and still gives you 120 lumens. The same mounts are available for it as well.

Another great setup is the SF G2 with an offset mount. The G2 when combined with an aftermarket LED bulb will give plenty of light and with an offset mount, will put the light in a spot where you can reach it.

If you have the money, go with Surefire!

sicegcivic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    I prefer esrice's setup... It is simple and limits elements of failure. As long as u buy a good light and mount, you can't go wrong with a setup like this. If you purchase a good mount, the light can then be placed in just about any position comfortable to you.

The surefire x300 is a good light, but you could create a much better setup for a long gun at 1/2 the price if you do something like this:
    4781203120_5e63e53287.jpg

If you are dead set on a light similar to the x300 there are other mount options available so you don't necessarily have to mount on top rail and interfere with your frt sight... ex:
    4884052932_2ffbb730b0.jpg

Both of these particular mount options are available frome Gear Sector and are extremely high quality.

Link: Gear Sector | Browse | Category | Mounts | Flashlight Mounts

I personally do not care for a remote switch.... They make it easy to accidentally actuate the light which can give your position away in a combat situation (training issue), along with it adding an extra element of failure... That is not a good thing.

Last edited:

Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    I prefer esrice's setup... It is simple and limits elements of failure. As long as u buy a good light and mount, you can't go wrong with a setup like this. If you purchase a good mount, the light can then be placed in just about any position comfortable to you.

The surefire x300 is a good light, but you could create a much better setup for a long gun at 1/2 the price if you do something like this:
    4781203120_5e63e53287.jpg

If you are dead set on a light similar to the x300 there are other mount options available so you don't necessarily have to mount on top rail and interfere with your frt sight... ex:
    4884052932_2ffbb730b0.jpg

Both of these particular mount options are available frome Gear Sector and are extremely high quality.

Link: Gear Sector | Browse | Category | Mounts | Flashlight Mounts

I personally do not care for a remote switch.... They make it easy to accidentally actuate the light which can give your position away in a combat situation (training issue), along with it adding an extra element of failure... That is not a good thing.

I definately like half price! :D

Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    A light on an AR15 is one of those things where quality DOES matter.

The SF X300 is a great choice! They are pretty expensive, but the quality is unparalleled. If you don't like the standard toggle switch, SF makes a tapeswitch backplate for the X300 with 7" cord for mounting the X300 on a rifle. With the tapeswitch you can mount the light where it's most convenient and run the switch to your support hand. Great light, very compact and lightweight. The newer models put out around 200 lumens of light, which is plenty for indoor and will get you out to 100yds. outdoors.

The SF scout lights are a phenomenal choice as well. They are also very compact and lightweight. The newer models will give you about 200 lumens of light. The great thing about the scout is the selection of mounts. Haley Strategic, Gear Sector, and Larue all have great mounts for the scout that will pull the light in close to the gun at an offset. The offset is really nice. The mini scout is really cool as well. It's even smaller and lighter, and still gives you 120 lumens. The same mounts are available for it as well.

Another great setup is the SF G2 with an offset mount. The G2 when combined with an aftermarket LED bulb will give plenty of light and with an offset mount, will put the light in a spot where you can reach it.

If you have the money, go with Surefire!

I really like the SUREFIRE lights you mentioned. They are small and lightweight. I have a SUREFIRE Millennium light right now but its a little big and bulky for what im wanting.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Consider a Solarforce light. I had one mounted to a 22LR through most of this trapping season, and it and their tape switch held up well. I snagged a Vtac mount at Bradis today, and will be seeing how one does on an AR.

On a 2 cell CR123 body with a Cree XM-L they are advertising 820 lumens. I'm dubious, but the things are UFO bright regardless.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    Another great setup is the SF G2 with an offset mount.

I have this set-up and it works great.

But then, I already had the light.
    I think we have a 6P and 4, maybe 5 G2s in the house. I've bought them all on some form of a sale.

Anyway, the G2 in an offset mount is about as simple and effective as it gets.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I read in the other linked thread some people were inquiring about the INforce light.

wml_handpositions.jpg

I talked to a guy today that has one of these for T&E. He is a real-deal operator and has put the light through the ringer.

His words exactly, "I F****** LOVE IT"

He said the size, weight, versatility are awesome. The IR light function does an awesome job at illumination if you have nods to make use of it, but even if not, he uses it as a safety switch as he approaches a mission target. Leave the light in IR mode that way if he mistakenly hits the switch it doesn't point their location out. When it's time for white light he flips the switch to white light.

There were some concerns raised on Arfcom about mistakenly activating a different mode from what you intended because the modes switch depending on how many times, and how quickly you tap the switch. He said that's possible, especially with gloves on, but he hasn't had too much of a problem with that.

He also said the 3 different modes (hi, low, strobe) are programmable as to which order you want them in and what mode comes on first.

I think I'm going to get an inforce light for my rifle when I get back...

Last edited:

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    If you want a light that is built for weapon use and has an extremely low failure rate, go with the Surefire scout. The mini is nice because of the size, the standard gains you some light output, but also some size.
    Keep in mind, with the TIR lens that these lights use, it will seem like you have a lot more light output than you really have. A 80 lumen Surefire with a TIR lens will keep up with a 150-180 lumen light that doesn't.

I have both scouts in stock.
    Search Results: scout

I will caution you when it comes to strapping a light on your riffle that is not intended for weapon use. If they are not set up to protect the batteries from recoil, you could run into some issues.

If you are looking for a cost effective option, we have some all in one Olight M20 kits left.

Olight Hunter Christmas Set

Has everything you need to get you set up.

Top Bottom