• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Do you see these types of black markings on the top of your hen vanes (4 and 8 o'clock)even with a properly tuned bow/rest?

I was reading Archery Talk and noticed this thread and when i looked at my arrows I show the same pattern slightly. I took this image from a thread on that site.

The OP was never able to get a fix on his bow. Some suggestions were the nock point was too low and needed to be raised. Some stated their bows were in tune, nock point at 1/8 and they see it. The bristles of the WB do it.

I took some lip stick and put it on the top of my hen vanes and shot my bow. The only place I saw lipstick was in the bristles toward the bottom of the biscuit. I can't see how the vanes hitting the top of the rest could allow for this marking or my arrow would have had to bounce back down and into the ground in front of me. At 20 yard I hit the 2 inch circle bull.

No lipstick on the frame of the biscuit holder. I checked the cables but on my stinger 3g the arrow at rest has plenty of cable clearance and they too had no lipstick.

Do you think the arrow had already spun around 180 degrees and the vanes are marking up from passing through the stiffer black bristles? Looking at the slow motion video it does seem like the hen vanes do get bent downward a good amount. I wonder if it is the black bristles and mine are Vanetecs whicg are softer than Blazers.

[video=youtube;WqJgaZxREf0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqJgaZxREf0[/video]

If I can eek out more accuracy from touching I am all in for it but I hate messing with my setup if its normal.

fletch.jpg

Last edited:

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    i had a whisker biscuit for a while. I had it installed correctly, but it kept ripping the fletching off my arrows. I took it off and bought an NAP Apache arrow rest, and never looked back. Dead silent, and rock solid.

nkhrfh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    I recall having some markings on my vanes. My shop had me switch to feathers when using a biscuit. Shoots quieter, more accurately, and the feathers last longer than vanes.

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    i have a wb and do get the black marks on the vane. I just assumed it was something with the friction of the vane passing through leaving the marks. I havent seen any accuracy issue.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    I've been shooting a whisker biscuit for a couple years now, and have gotten those black marks to. Accompanied by some damage to the vane after several rounds of practice shots. After these years of use I've only replaced about 5 vanes due to the WB. I always assumed it was normal too, but never had any accuracy issues due to wb.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Do shops fletch arrows with specific settings for WB's?
    Wonder if a general set up on a jig (good for a variety or rests and fletching) might have too much offset.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I shot a WB for a few years and never noticed any back marks on my vanes, I switched to an octane rest, its similar to a WB and I love it

simpleman44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    white county
    I have shot a wb for yrs. THe markings are pretty normal they will not affect your accuracy. I only shoot blazer vanes they last longer going thru the bisquit. Imo its the greatest rest their is. Easy set up and your ready to shoot with no worries.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I shoot feathers, in compound or recurve, fingers or release. My jig is set so I fletch all my arrows the same.

The WB works, but IMHO it's ugly and for those who might shoot barebow, it's even more of an eyesore ;)

I like the idea of cushion adjustment on a fingers rig, but even then a GK Huntmaster 2000 works well with release. And with vert and horiz dampening it's more forgiving than many other popular rests. I shot that cheapy on my $$$$ Hoyt years ago, caught a lot of flak for it.........but
    BH and FP hit the same (thus quieting the criticism to a hefty degree).

I used eliminator buttons (which worked fine with the GK rest- my rig was 37" axle to axle). That setup allowed a shorter release and kept my anchor where it's been for decades. Loved it.

Same rig changing only the rest? BH and FP hit 8" diff at 30 yards (BH low).

Using a string loop due to no vert dampening with the Ripcord dropaway, put my BH and FP back to same impact............but it moved my anchor a bit and that totally sucked.

There are pluses and minuses to everything.

The WB works, but I don't care for 'em. To each his own.

vwarren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    greenfield
    I love the WB as long as I hit my spot every time I don't care what my arrows look like. IMHO there are a lot more positives than negatives when it comes to the WB

Ebrueckmann

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I as well shoot a WB and havent noticed any black marks. A few years ago I got a friend into archery and he spent tons of cash on his setup and bought a top of the line drop away rest. We grouped similarly under 30 yards but my tendency to move my arm to quickly after the shot was more evident due to the WB at longer distances.. Which doesn't matter to me much because I wont take a shot over 30 yards when hunting.

Top Bottom