• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    A firearm is really nothing like an engine it's more like a car door hinge. Going back and forth, back and forth etc... Guess what works best there grease.

Oils can and will turn to peanut butter thick sludge. Many a hunter can tell you about it.

If your firearm is getting cold enough that it could freeze you should run it dry.

Tell that to the servicemen who fought in Korea, in the winter. A service rifle NEEDS grease.

bonzaiberger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Milan
    A Mk-19 specifically calls for grease and not oil. But that is a belt fed grenade launcher with big heavy parts. For whatever its worth, its a real pain to clean in the sand box! lol

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    I believe it uses a blowback operation, so it doesn't has as much *oomph* as a gas-operated weapon. Hence the unusual application of grease. Just one of those things you hate to have, but love when you need it! It's astounding the amount of destruction a single combatant can wreck with a steady stream of HEDP.

With the M1- series, I think there's a fair bit to do with the dogleg-edness of the Op Rod producing lateral forces that need the grease. Modern weapons keep the forces in the bore direction for the most part, so this need in allieviated mostly. At that point it becomes a balancing act between environmental aggravation, acceptable smoothness, and wear.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    M1 and M14 rifles were designed to use grease not oil for lube. White lithium grease was used during WWII because it did not wash off in rain. It tends to harden and gum up so a new grease was developed after the war. A brown, non lithium grease it remains soft a does not gum even in cold temperature. I have two 8 oz cans of it...marked grease, rifle.

+1, I grease 1911 slides also. Worked for 75 years, so it can't hurt.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If your firearm is getting cold enough that it could freeze you should run it dry.

Before the environmental people got up in arms, sperm whale oil was the standard for hunters in severe artic conditions. I have hunting friends that say the fish oil you get out of vitamin E capsules are the hot ticket.

I have oiled (other peoples, My stuff is ready before I leave the house) shotguns in the field with drops off the dipstick of my engine or transmission. If something is binding, any oil beats no oil.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Tell that to the servicemen who fought in Korea, in the winter. A service rifle NEEDS grease.

I understand what you saying, But i doubt many of us run around with Garand actions in the winter. Pretty much every modern firearm will run just fine dry.

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    I understand what you saying, But i doubt many of us run around with Garand actions in the winter. Pretty much every modern firearm will run just fine dry.

You have never seen the damage to an M1 op rod from running dry...
    I have. Expensive lesson..

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    You have never seen the damage to an M1 op rod from running dry...
    I have. Expensive lesson..

/Facepalm

Like i said i doubt many of us are running around with Garand actions in the winter. But most of what we are carrying will run just fine dry.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I have a relative that has been into guns for 50 years. Has shot A LOT of ammo. I've asked him what he's used. His answer was, what ever 30 weight motor oil I have handy. Never had an issue.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I'll throw my .02 in the ring and see what you think.

As for the engine transmission analogy i would disagree. That is a closed system that circulates the oil around so you dont lose any. Grease will not gum up if you use good grease. I personally run slip 2000 EWG which is rated down to -100 degrees however i've only been able to bury a gun in the snow for 20-30 minutes before i wanted to shoot so i probably got it down to 0 degrees or so. It still functioned fine. I have not been able to make it run either like you get with just about every oil.

munch520

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2015
    midwest
    KY. Every time.

ETA: wrong forum :cowbell:

The real answer:

Use what you want to use.

This is almost as heated as the synthetic vs non-synthetic debates on the car forums.

In my experience, in high round counts and suppressed use grease can get 'gummy'. I love MPro7 and the lighter Slip2000s. We're talking $7-8 at Walmart for a good-sized bottle...to lube a $1-3,000 gun in some cases. The 'skimping' ship has sailed if you're trying to cut corners with lube lol. Just my $0.02.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I usually use a thin layer of white lithium inside my AK's on the rails and contact points, and synthetic motor oil on my other stuff that doesn't run as hot. Never had any issues.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    I have a relative that has been into guns for 50 years. Has shot A LOT of ammo. I've asked him what he's used. His answer was, what ever 30 weight motor oil I have handy. Never had an issue.

Works but i don't really like breathing burning motor oil every range trip.

Top Bottom