Who can sign for the Sheriff on the CLEO signoff??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I took a form 4 into the Sheriff's office today for sign off and prints.

All the other forms Ive done were signed by the Sheriff himself. This time someone else signed for the Sheriff, as it looks like he was out.

Is that legit or is this going to be kicked back to me?

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    Law Enforcement Certification. Item 17 must be completed for an individual transferee, unless the transferee is licensed as a manufacturer, importer, or dealer under the GCA and is a special (occupational) taxpayer under the NFA at the time of the submission of the application for transfer. The chief law enforcement officer is considered to be the Chief of Police for the transferee's city or town of residence; the Sheriff for the transferee's county of residence; the Head of the State Police for the transferee's State of residence; a State or local district attorney or prosecutor having jurisdiction in the transferee's area of residence; or another person whose certification is acceptable to the Director, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. If someone has specific delegated authority to sign on behalf of the Chief of Police, Sheriff, etc., this fact must be noted by printing the Chief's, Sheriff's, or other authorized official's name and title, followed by the word "by" and the full signature and title of the delegated person. The certificate must be dated no more than one year prior to the date of receipt of the application.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    It should read:

John Doe, Sheriff by Jane Doe, Assistant Deputy Sheriff

Thanks for all the help!! But one last (I hope) question.

Since the Detective who signed put his name where you would normal write "John Doe, Sheriff", how do I have them fix it? Write the Sheriff's part above his own name? white out? Do they need to initial the change?

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I remember a post about not being able to get a sheriff to sign on ARFcom and there were several others who can sign instead of sheriff.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    that is true, but not the case in this instance. My sheriff has had no issues signing, he apparently was out of the office (his door was closed). The secretary took my paperwork as she always has, and when I went to get finger printed, the detective had signed it before I could stop him. If they had asked first I would have told him to wait until I could check on the requirements.

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    "Delegated Authority"
    I've had 2 F4s with the exact same deal happen
    Sheriff was out of office .
    Secretary must have delegated authority here
    She signed in his stead & both were approved.

The fact that this detective took the paperwork & without properly reading the instructions for signing is kind of a pee er ...

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    "Delegated Authority"
    I've had 2 F4s with the exact same deal happen
    Sheriff was out of office .
    Secretary must have delegated authority here
    She signed in his stead & both were approved.

How did she sign it? I mean did she sign as shown above??

I'm not 100% positive, but Im sure they have something similar in place, and this guy may have been the one who was delegated the authority to sign..... he just didn't to it right ;)

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    here is what Ive got to work with:

f4oops.JPG

not a lot of room to do much.

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    How did she sign it? I mean did she sign as shown above??

I'm not 100% positive, but Im sure they have something similar in place, and this guy may have been the one who was delegated the authority to sign..... he just didn't to it right ;)

I would have to dig it out & look
    But I remember she specifically stated , her name ,& that she was signing in the sheriff s stead ...............
    I'll try to dig it up this weekend

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    The normal procedure for signoffs by other than the designated person is for the signer to sign their name, postion and after that make a note that they are signing for the proper person. In other words your detective signoff is fine but after it you need to add " Signing for Sheriff (your sheriffs name here)" . Or maybe in simpler terms-
    Bob Johnson- Chief Deputy, signing for sheriff Bill Jorgensen. Judith T Slepcek-Assistant Chief, for Chief Wilhelm von Trek. What you need to do is take it in and get him to add -For Sheriff (whoever) after his stuff. It will be fine and ATF can verify by calling the dept.

Frank

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    Law Enforcement Certification. Item 17 must be completed for an individual transferee, unless the transferee is licensed as a manufacturer, importer, or dealer under the GCA and is a special (occupational) taxpayer under the NFA at the time of the submission of the application for transfer. The chief law enforcement officer is considered to be the Chief of Police for the transferee's city or town of residence; the Sheriff for the transferee's county of residence; the Head of the State Police for the transferee's State of residence; a State or local district attorney or prosecutor having jurisdiction in the transferee's area of residence; or another person whose certification is acceptable to the Director, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. If someone has specific delegated authority to sign on behalf of the Chief of Police, Sheriff, etc., this fact must be noted by printing the Chief's, Sheriff's, or other authorized official's name and title, followed by the word "by" and the full signature and title of the delegated person. The certificate must be dated no more than one year prior to the date of receipt of the application.

can you confirm that i can have anyone of those people highlighted in blue to sign my form 1? i heard my city PD chief wont sign so i want to try the sheriff.

Top Bottom