• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    My birthday is coming up soon and I thought about getting my C&R license as my gift to myself. From just a quick Google search I've come up with that there is a form that has to be filled out and printed then sent to the ATF with $30. Is there anything else? That seems too simple. If that is all how long will it take to receive my license?

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    I've got mine (if it's still good). Never used it for anything. You do need to send a copy to your LEO if it's the same as when I applied.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I believe that you have to notify your local police chief that you applied for the 03 FFL. No action is required on their part.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    For those that aren't sure...what does a C&R allow you to do?

(I could look it up but I'm asking for the sake of discussion).

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Curio and Relic's license. I believe it lets you buy a 50 yr old or older rifle w/o going to a FFL...

Not sure if there are certain classes for C&R 's to apply or not. I considered getting it when I bought my SKS...but have forgotten about it since.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    Curio and Relic's license. I believe it lets you buy a 50 yr old or older rifle w/o going to a FFL...

Not sure if there are certain classes for C&R 's to apply or not. I considered getting it when I bought my SKS...but have forgotten about it since.

^ This, I love surplus firearms and thought this would be easier than having all my surplus guns sent to my buddy that has a FFL

stesco

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Greensburg
    I applied a couple of weeks ago. They took the money after about 3 days. We will see how long until I get my license. My record is squeaky clean,

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    I *think* you can get the form at ATF.gov
    Fill it out, and send to it the ATF w/ $30.00.
    Send a letter to your CLEO letting them know you applied. (they don't have to do anything)
    Wait 8-12 weeks
    When it arrives, copy your license, and put the original away.
    License allows you to purchase firearms that are at least 50 years old, as well as some newer ones that have made the ATF list without going thru a FFL 01.
    Is also one option for fulfilling the CMP requirements to purchase a Garand, as well as being good for a discount at Brownell's and a few other places.
    (Midway used to offer discounts, but stopped last year)
    Have had mine for 7-8 years now, and it's easily paid for itself w/ the discounts.

Do note, this is a collectors license, not a dealer license. ATF won't care how much you buy, but if you start, say buying 10 rifles and selling off 9 of them, they will eventually notice and pay you a visit.

Only other requirement is keeping a bound book. Plenty of pages on line you can copy and put in a 3-ring binder.
    ATF CAN ask to inspect your book. They can not just show up at your door, they'll call for an appointment. You have the option of going to them if you like. They can't ask more than once a year.
    (if they think you're buying and selling that's a whole other ball of wax).
    As far as that goes, I've only heard of one or two people that have actually had a request to inspect their books. All of them were out east. (NY state if memory serves).

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    ^ This, I love surplus firearms and thought this would be easier than having all my surplus guns sent to my buddy that has a FFL

Go ahead and get one. There's not much to it. As mentioned previously, you mail a copy of the application to your local chief law enforcement officer (County Sherriff or City Police Chief) and one goes to the ATF. Best 30 bucks you'll spend if you like buying old guns, especially online. It also works in brick and mortar shops too. Let's say you buy a Mosin at your LGS. Normally you would be subject to the regular NICS check, but with the C&R license, you just hand them a signed copy and out the door you go. When buying online, as you probably already know, the gun can be shipped directly to you. You just need to email (or mail) them a signed copy. Buy a couple of guns, and your license has paid for itself just in the transfer fees that you save.

If you do get one, make a bunch of copies of the original BEFORE you sign it. Some places want a "wet ink" signature (ie. current). Keep the original and just sign the copies as needed.

*Edit* mac45 described it better than I did. The license is good for 3 years. I just sent off my renewal form a couple of weeks ago.

Here's all the info you need straight from the horse's mouth: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/curios-relics.html

Last edited:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I've had my FFL-03 for 2 1/2 years now, have to renew in the spring. I have purchased a few handguns and rifles with it. It is very nice to bid on a C&R firearm on Gunbroker and have it shipped directly to your home. In addition there are some dealers online that will give you discounts on parts and supplies. I have purchased a Garand at a Gun show, as well as a Turkish Mauser at a pawn shop. All that is required for the transfer is that you get a copy of the dealers license and give them a signed copy of your license. You MUST have the person's information or copy of the dealers license to enter the information in your "Bound book".

I purchased my bound book from Amazon, and make sure everything is properly entered to avoid any issues with the BATF.
    There are many firearms that are considered C&R - including most over 50 years old that were not issued as full auto. The SKS is ok, but as the AK was issued as a select fire it is not. A modified firearm (not as issued) may not qualify as a C&R. IE: some items like a scope or arsenal refinished like a Mosin still qualify.

If the BATF wishes they can inspect your bound book AND the firearms you have purchased with your license. Firearms that you purchased that are not C&R are not included in either your book or any inspection, also any C&R you owned prior to getting your license are exempt. If the BATF requests an inspection, you can either allow them into your home or load up all the C&R firearms you have listed and your bound book and go to the nearest BATF office for the inspection.

I will renew my license as the cost is only $30 / $10 a year and the privileges are well worth the money and hassle.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    ANY C&R eligible firearm you obtain while you have the FFL 03 should be recorded in the bound book, whether you used your C&R license to make the purchase or not.

And remember... The C&R FFL 03 DOES NOT make you a dealer. It is a COLLECTOR license. You can't be making C&R firearm purchases for friends and family (or anyone else). A high volume of firearms going in and out of your collection will command the BATFE's close attention if you get inspected.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    When you renew your license the form will ask how many C&R firearms you bought and how many you SOLD. It seems to be the "sold" amount that will get you audited. Jim.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I had it for about 12 years. Last year it slipped my mind and I forgot to renew it. They used to send me a reminder but didn't this last time. I bought 30 or so guns over the years with it and saved me a bundle in FFL costs and hassles. To your door is pretty damn neat.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    if/when you sell a C&R firearms that is in your ledger, does the person buying it have to fill out a 4473 and go through the NICS check?

Top Bottom