• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jss1956

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Indiana the Armpit
    Lots of good info here from mac45 and doggydaddy. I've had a C&R for many years and have saved a bundle in transfer fees.

One caution I would give you is to always check and make sure a seller (especially online) will accept your C&R prior to bidding. Some either don't know what it is or won't take a "risk" in selling to anyone unless they are a 01 FFL. Some brick & mortar stores won't take it either as they have never seen one or don't understand what it is. A couple have told me that they cannot determine if the license is valid easily. If an 03 license is checked thru the ATF "eVerify" it will come back as "not valid". Everify cannot be used to check an 03 FFL, only an 01 FFL. You must call the ATF Customer Support number and they manually verify the 03 license. Why? Hey it's the government, what do you expect?

Last, make sure you get a copy of the sellers drivers license or a copy of their FFL. I've never had a problem with a shop but had a newer seller in Virginia go a little crazy when I purchased a gun online and told him he needed to include a copy of his drivers license. He told me the governor of Virginia was having him watched and he didn't want anyone to know he had sold a gun.

Keep good records and have fun!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    if/when you sell a C&R firearms that is in your ledger, does the person buying it have to fill out a 4473 and go through the NICS check?

Not if it's good to go under standard rules. FTF is OK if in state.

Out of state you still need a dealer if the buyer does not hold an FFL03.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I got a C and R license probably about 20 years ago, I had a BATF agent call me and she came over within a hour to my house after she called, and did a walk around my house and wanted to see how and where the firearms were going to be stored.She was extremelly nice and we had a very nice conversation.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    What would be the top 10 C&R's that should be on your list? I have thought about getting mine, but would like to know your thoughts on what would be on your lists.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I got a C and R license probably about 20 years ago, I had a BATF agent call me and she came over within a hour to my house after she called, and did a walk around my house and wanted to see how and where the firearms were going to be stored.She was extremelly nice and we had a very nice conversation.

Actually if you want you can take your "Bound Book" to their office, should be no need for them to come to your address of record. There should also be no need for them to inspect your C&R firearms as long as your "Bound Book" is accurate. That is unless something has changed since I last renewed. Jim.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What would be the top 10 C&R's that should be on your list? I have thought about getting mine, but would like to know your thoughts on what would be on your lists.

What, like top 10 guns? Or top 10 dealers?

The best value in guns used to be 9x18 handguns and M-N. Those were really cheap and C&R eligible.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Actually if you want you can take your "Bound Book" to their office, should be no need for them to come to your address of record. There should also be no need for them to inspect your C&R firearms as long as your "Bound Book" is accurate. That is unless something has changed since I last renewed. Jim.

I thought they had the right to inspect your collection, although it may be away from home.

This would be convenient to me, as I believe the ATF is in the next build over from me.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Top ten guns worth looking into. Doesn't have to be ten I would be more interested in pistols.

What's available for pistols is a huge list. One the the best things to go on the list as a handgun younger than 50 years is the CZ-82. Otherwise, anything made before 1965 qualifies.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What's available for pistols is a huge list. One the the best things to go on the list as a handgun younger than 50 years is the CZ-82. Otherwise, anything made before 1965 qualifies.

Isn't there a caveat that it has to be in the original configuration though? In other words, if someone took a K98 rifle and re-barreled it to a different caliber and made it into a sporting rifle, that rifle would no longer qualify, would it? I may be mistaken, but I was thinking that there was something to that effect.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Isn't there a caveat that it has to be in the original configuration though? In other words, if someone took a K98 rifle and re-barreled it to a different caliber and made it into a sporting rifle, that rifle would no longer qualify, would it? I may be mistaken, but I was thinking that there was something to that effect.

Indeed. There are definitions for what is "original condition"; needless to say a semi-auto modified AK is not original condition, but an SKS is.

modeltman1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Good read-question,I sell a c & r gun that was bought before the license,I would still have to put that in the ledger -correct?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Good read-question,I sell a c & r gun that was bought before the license,I would still have to put that in the ledger -correct?

HarleyRider has some competition...

No, that should NOT go into your ledger. Firearms acquired outside of the time you have an FFL03 are not to be logged in your bound book.

Also, any C&R firearms acquired during the period you hold an FFL03 must be logged regardless of how you acquired them. In other words, just because the dealer was an ignorant hick and made you fill out a F4473 and didn't accept your FFL03 copy doesn't exclude the gun from logging requirements.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    HarleyRider has some competition...

No, that should NOT go into your ledger. Firearms acquired outside of the time you have an FFL03 are not to be logged in your bound book.

Also, any C&R firearms acquired during the period you hold an FFL03 must be logged regardless of how you acquired them. In other words, just because the dealer was an ignorant hick and made you fill out a F4473 and didn't accept your FFL03 copy doesn't exclude the gun from logging requirements.

I was under the impression (perhaps mistakenly) that if I were to dispose of a C&R eligible gun that I acquired pre-license that I would have to enter it at that time. For example I have my dad's old shotgun. It is not currently in my bound book, but if I sell it I have to "receive" and then "dispose" of it in the book. Not true?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I was under the impression (perhaps mistakenly) that if I were to dispose of a C&R eligible gun that I acquired pre-license that I would have to enter it at that time. For example I have my dad's old shotgun. It is not currently in my bound book, but if I sell it I have to "receive" and then "dispose" of it in the book. Not true?

OK, now you're going to make me go look it up, huh? :):

...reading...*

OK, after consulting ATF publication 5300-4, 478.125a Personal firearms collection, would indicate it needs to be entered in the your book at the time of disposition.

It seems I was in error.

Here's some corroboration:
    http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-216833.html
    http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-110616.html
    http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=14&t=371673
    http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/CandR/index.html

* Reading that whole darn things is my punishment for posting incorrect information on the internet. I have spoiled the one pure and honest internet.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Top Bottom