• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I have all bases covered firearmwise. I almost bought an ar last month when i had the cash but I choose to get a good shotgun with basic accessories and shells and a good handgun with extra mags, parts and ammo. Id rather have the firearms I have ready to go with plenty of ammo, mags and parts than a decent ar with a few mags and a little bit of ammo. However Im planning to buy one next year or this year if I get blessed with the extra cash.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have all bases covered firearmwise. I almost bought an ar last month when i had the cash but I choose to get a good shotgun with basic accessories and shells and a good handgun with extra mags, parts and ammo. Id rather have the firearms I have ready to go with plenty of ammo, mags and parts than a decent ar with a few mags and a little bit of ammo. However Im planning to buy one next year or this year if I get blessed with the extra cash.

I can't think of too many situation that can't be handled with a good pistol, shotgun and 22LR.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Still don't have one, but parts list is growing. I've already got a stripped lower I bought last year, and a BCG is on the way from PSA. I can only afford to do it piece by piece.

RetDep310

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Columbus
    A few years before I retired from my local Sheriff's Office, we were issued AR-15's. I had the fortune to be issued a Vietnam era M-16, full-auto, good shape, and very sweet!! After I retired, I bought an AR built by one of my buddies. Bought all the cool stuff for it, and bought ammo from Wal-Mart, when it was cheap. To be honest about it, I traded it and the ammo during the post-election scare. During the 3 years I owned it, I only put a couple hundred rounds through it. Wound up with a .357 lever carbine and a wad of cash. Shoot the lever gun every chance I get. So now all I have is that, my 10/22 and my defensive pistols. Never felt the need to get another AR.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Before buying my first AR I wanted a general purpose long gun. My wife told me I can buy anyghing I want so long as I can justify it. Unlike Cedartop my imagination is not that good so full auto and suppresors are still a no go. But I am working on her. Anyway, I bought a 357 lever gun as my working gun because I could hunt deer with it. I killed one deer. Great gun, very handy, good choice.. But I still appreciate the AR platform for the utility. Mine has a pistol converted upper and works great with a 22 conversion. I ended up selling the lever action because I did not shoot it much. Plus I recouped my cost after Marlin was purchased.

Edit: Piston conversion not Pistol. Silly tablet and spell check. Won't let me edit it correctly

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Easy Vert....you will upset the long gun crowd. You know..."the only thing a pistol is good for is to get you to a long gun" crowd.

You, Cedartop, and ever GNRPowder in another thread. Everybody is picking on me today. Going to ruin my internet tough guy image.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You, Cedartop, and ever GNRPowder in another thread. Everybody is picking on me today. Going to ruin my internet tough guy image.

Oh heck no. I am with you on the hand gun. Unless I am killing a car I can deal with most anything off hand.......:)

I am not messing with you until after the 15th.....:)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Oh heck no. I am with you on the hand gun. Unless I am killing a car I can deal with most anything off hand.......:)

I am not messing with you until after the 15th.....:)

I hope you do. Make sure to carry the 1911!

And just so Cedartop doesn't feel picked on. I do know how to shoot a rifle. Just inconvenient for me to actually keep one handy considering my lifestyle.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I don't own one. After saving up for an edc handgun I don't have the money, and it would just be for fun, I have a shotgun for home defense, so I can't justify it as a need.

wpmason

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    I don't have one pretty much just because I can't afford one at the moment. It has been creeping up my "to buy" list of late, but I'll hold out for a good one (or custom build) that gives me everything I want. I think my next three purchases will be a 1911, a j frame, and an AR, not necessarily in that order though.

rausch51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    The Ville
    Too many wants and needs before I get into an AR. I would also have to upgrade my storage to accommodate another long gun.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I think everyone should own a rifle for home defense. And I'm not saying that rifle HAS to be THE home defense gun. Mine is my handgun.

I just think everyone SHOULD have some sort of rifle in their home or safe.

jocmurph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    Indy Northside
    I currently do not own one, but I am looking to get my first. I do not just want to jump into it being uninformed. I do not know a great deal about AR's or any rifles for that matter. I really want to stick to the middle to mid lower end range, as this is my first one. But, I also don't want to buy junk. I don't see myself shooting it all of the time, but who knows. Any ideas on a first rifle?

On another note, I would also be interested in a 44mag lever action. I have always wanted one of these and I hear they are not too bad for hunting whitetails. I am looking forward to any insights and information that anyone with more experience than I can give me. Let me know what you all think. Thanks in advance.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Either would make a good carbine for you. Lever guns can be used for both hunting or more serious situations.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Very few of us have an "actual need" for our ARs. Lord knows I don't but their fun and a whole lotta cool ;). I shoot my bolt guns way more than my ARs, but I prefer bench rest an precision shooting more. Not to say certain AR platform builds couldn't fit that bill Ive had a few of those over the years as well. As it seems tho I always go back to the bolt guns. With that said ARs have their place in every personal collection I think. Just depends on how far you want to take it an what you want to maybe put off to get one depending your individual situation.

Top Bottom