• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nevernoluck2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Peru
    I owned one right after before Obama got elected, DPMS sweet 16, it was a shooter but I needed money so I could move to Utah or I'd still have it. One day I'll own another, right now I'm building all the hunting guns back up that I used to have and eventually another AR but I'm wanting a 243 or 22-250, of course an AR10 platform I know

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I'm with you on this. Just ordered my stripped lower a few days ago and will be piecing it together over the next few months. Can't wait!

Well, thanks to a couple good sales, and the generosity of friends that had some spare parts, I was able to build my first AR with the assistance of esrice and lovemywoods.

Pics and an AAR to follow soon

Cowboy71

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Clark County, IN
    I got rid of my two AR's to help finance a Tavor, a DPMS GII Recon, and a nice AK. But I'm getting the urge to find a stripped lower and build something because it feels weird not having a 5.56 AR at the moment.

Dudelittle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Attica
    I dont own one but that will change some day!! When i can
    sell my other hobby so i can justify that big of a purchase to the long haired judge.

Nevernoluck2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Peru
    You guys have me itching for one now, when I get the Ruger 77/44 paid off, you know what's next on my list. Thanks guys!!!!!!! I love new guns more than my wife!!! Lol hope she never reads this :D

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Saw I had some odds and ends parts. Started gathering from the classifieds and friends. Took about 2 weeks and I have a sweet Mil-spec AR in Carbine. Nothing fancy but good solid gun. It is filling the slot my AR Varmint used to fill. I have 4 slots for AR's and when one goes empty it just has to be filled.

thecoltsman2006

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2012
    JUST out of curiosity, what is the best complete lower with 4 or 6 pos butt stock that can be purchased for under $300

gunslinger762

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    AR is just plain fun. 9mm running about .23-.25 cents and 5.56 cheap stuff going for .30-.36 right now. You can have a lot more power in the 556 round and just so much fun to shoot. about 10 cent difference for you. I guarantee its worth the extra bit. Even if you have to shoot less rounds through it.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    JUST out of curiosity, what is the best complete lower with 4 or 6 pos butt stock that can be purchased for under $300

There's absolutely no reason why you should have to give anywhere near $300 right now for a complete lower. A lot of quality out there for <$200. You can buy decent complete upper with bcg and ch for $350 and will last you years upon years if you clean and lube it. $500-$600 will build you a good ar right now

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I don't have one. I have never been that big of a fan. I prefer .308 anyway...and really enjoy shooing my M1A. Saw my first real live AR-15 in 1973 when my buddies dad brought one home. It was a Colt, and we were impressed. It looked cool. I was maybe 12?

Nothing against them personally, I just don't like them.

thecoltsman2006

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2012
    There's absolutely no reason why you should have to give anywhere near $300 right now for a complete lower. A lot of quality out there for <$200. You can buy decent complete upper with bcg and ch for $350 and will last you years upon years if you clean and lube it. $500-$600 will build you a good ar right now
    Thanks for the the feedback. CAN you give me some suggestions? I have around $350 to start with. No hurry to finish but I wanted to start with the reciever and anything else I can get.

Last edited:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I didn't own one for a long time mainly because I did not care but a group buy came up for receivers and I bought two, one engraved with the Marine Globe and Anchor and another with AF. I built a 20" for my daughter, the Marine and still have the AF receiver that I planned on building a 20" but the gun shortage came up so I have yet to build it. I picked up two other receivers on a group buy and traded one for a Ruger and built the other one as a 16" which I could get a kit for. Don't think I spent over $600 each so far. Still plan on building a 20" on the AF receiver.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    Thanks for the the feedback. CAN you give me some suggestions? I have around $350 to start with. No hurry to finish but I wanted to start with the reciever and anything else I can get.

Stripped:
    PSA Blemished Safe/Fire Lower
    Complete:
    PSA AR-15 Complete Lower Magpul MOE Edition - Black, No Magazine - Lowers - AR-15
    Kits:
    PSA 16" Stainless Mid-length 1/7 Freedom Rifle Kit - AR-15 - Freedom Sale
    PSA 16'' M4 CMV Chrome-Lined Premium Rifle Kit - AR-15 - Freedom Sale

Surf arond the site....there's lots to see.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

For $200-$350 you can get a nice billet lower and a start on an upper. Adds character to your rifle.

Just cause you're building an AR, doesn't mean it has to be cheap. You said you're in no hurry to finish.

Just throwing that one out there.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg

With $350 in hand I'd go ahead and buy a complete upper with bcg and ch. The lower assembly is relatively inexpensive and would be easier on the wallet. I've built several using PSA premium uppers and they are fantastic shooters. They use FN barrels. Just make sure the bolt is made of c158 or 9310 steel.

Top Bottom