• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    My bro recently moved out there and I'm thinking of going out trying for some mule deer and/or antelope later this year. He's got some guys showing him the ropes and some places to hunt but he's still pretty new at it.

Elk seems too expensive and from what I've read, a low percentage of tags are filled:dunno: I don't want to pony up that much cash for a longshot.

Anyone hunt CO and care to share any info/tips/websites/pitfalls to watch out for/etc?

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I have never been but I want to go!
    Colorado actually has over the counter elk tags. They also have a lot of elk. Most western States have a draw.
    Watch out for fire...hopefully your bro is not in that area.
    I'm envious.
    Good luck when you go.

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    I have hunted there and have famliy that live there. Deer is a draw, unless you want to buy a Private Land Lic. Start looking at areas that you are wanting to deer hunt and check the below link to see how many points it takes to hunt those areas.

I would start here: Hunting

Plenty of info. on their site. You can also start reading the Elk and Mule deer forums on the Bowsite. Also check out the 24hourcampfire.com, lots of info on both sites.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Colorado p dogs

Unless the law has changed recently, you can shoot prairie dogs in CO for the purpose of "pest control" if you are the property owner or "his agent". All you need to qualify as his agent is his permission. We shot 'em in far NE CO several times before plague wiped 'em out. Of course, that isn't exactly hunting! :D

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    We always filled our antelope tags hunting near Punkin Center, Co. That was in the early-mid 80's, but I'll bet its still good hunting there.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I hunted Colorado once. Didn't take too much stalking since it's often found under Wyoming. But dang it, I must of put two hundred rounds into and it still didn't drop!

Elkaholic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    Johnson County
    I have hunted elk there since 2006 and although never harvested an animal it was the best money i have ever spent. It is a beautiful state and quite an experience just going out there. What part of the state does he live?

redhead

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Getting the over counter Elk tag and hunting the Routt National Forrest is an investment in the best memory building you'll ever do!!

Top Bottom