• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Oh yeah, getting anxious. Hopefully snowmageddon will end soon and we can get on with the morels and greenbiers...YUM!

Crappiepro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    North East Vigo County
    Ready for the shrooms and turkey season myself!! Seems like the years we have snow on the ground the mushrooms grow better and I've found more. Anybody think the same way or is it just me LOL!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    This may be my first year hunting for morels. Any tips for a newb? I've never eaten them either and I'm a bit worried I'll become obsessed with them once I do; I love mushrooms.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Looking forward to hunting them, not looking forward to the annual patrols I have to make to keep the littering slobs off my ground. Living next to thousands of acres of HNF you would think it wouldn't be an issue but to some all land is public land during mushroom season.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    Now, when you hit that honey hole where everywhere you look, you see 'em and the bread sacks come out. You pick, say 4 or 5 sacks and head home. Since there are just 2 of us, we prepare only what we can eat at the moment. No use foundering on 'em. Years ago an old timer told me to freeze the extras. Tried it and have been freezing the extras for years now. DO NOT WASH!!! Leave the dirt on and put them on a cookie sheet till frozen. Then bag 'em up and put them back in the freezer. When needed, take them out and let defrost in icebox(refrig) until thawed. Now rinse and prepare as usual.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    This may be my first year hunting for morels. Any tips for a newb? I've never eaten them either and I'm a bit worried I'll become obsessed with them once I do; I love mushrooms.

If you have access to land, I'll volunteer to be your guide. My grandfather taught me when I was 7. Been going practically every year since. I'd be happy to show you the ropes. As for tips, just be lucky because any other method is folklore.

jburris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    henry county
    oh im definitely ready. last couple years wasn't that great. 3 yrs ago was a heck of a year for me. found 22 with heads bigger around and as tall as a beer can in my back yard. last couple years only found a couple back there. Was just thinking the other day how this weather was going to affect them this year.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I went out for the first time last year and came up with these. I'll be heading back out again!

130505_0006.jpg

130505_0004.jpg

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013

Last year was my first year, so I'm definitely no expert, but I can share the things I learned last season. Trees, it may sound trivial, but everyone talks about trees, all different types of trees. As for which one is the best, I don't think anyone knows. I can say though I had more success where there had been a lot of dead wood, whether from logging activity or just fallen naturally. Generally in moist areas, like creekbeds, streams, creeks, and so on, but I did find some in dryer areas too. I hear it's good practice to pinch the morel at the base and not pull up the root ball, as well as to use a mesh bag to carry the morels in. The root thing I guess is so they come back, IDK if that's true or not. The mesh is so the spores fall around as you walk, makes sense, but IDK if it's true. I know it wasn't real specific, but I'm no expert. Also watch out for snakes and carry a stick.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    One patch..Last year.

31012.jpg Here in Morgan Co., this area (about half an acre) has produced three years in a row. I expect a few non productive years in this area.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    never tried to dry any,but this year ,if I find enough, Im gonna try it. Needle and thread and run through stem and hang til dry. Anyone ever done it. Be a treat,for this time of year. Just like yesterday,I had Fried Green Tomatos. I canned them a couple years ago. Tasted just like fresh out of the garden. Yum

Top Bottom