• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons

INDIANAPOLIS — Indiana State Sen. Fady Qaddoura said a new bill he plans to file in the next few weeks seeks to counteract the state’s pre-emption law — a law that’s been on the books since 2011 and prohibits Indiana cities, counties, and towns from creating their own gun control regulations.

”My argument to the General Assembly is that, ‘Quit complaining about gun violence at the same time when you are tying the hands of the locals to come up with solutions,'” Sen. Qaddoura said.

If the senator’s bill is passed, Indiana municipalities could create their own gun control regulations such as requiring the safe storage of firearms, requiring a license to carry a handgun, and expanding background checks for firearm purchases.

There is, however, a caveat. Any potential regulations under consideration by a municipality must be backed by a local law enforcement agency and comply with both the U.S. and Indiana State Constitutions.

”We had these solutions implemented in the past in Indiana, they were constitutional,” Sen. Qaddoura said.

Gun rights advocates, like 2nd Amendment lawyer Guy Relford, said certain provisions in the bill would most likely not hold constitutional muster, including provisions that would allow municipalities to prohibit the purchase of assault weapons and raise the minimum age to purchase a firearm to 21.

”It’s going to be dead on arrival in the Indiana General Assembly,” Relford said. ”I think getting more input from more sources including our LEO’s is fine, but I also don’t think that’s an excuse to pass what ultimately would be found to be unconstitutional gun control.”

Relford also said the bill, if passed, would create a patchwork system of inconsistent laws, causing confusion between municipalities.

”The whole purpose of the Firearms Preemption Act is to prohibit exactly what they’re attempting to do here,” Relford said.

Sen. Qaddoura said the bill isn’t designed to cause confusion, but rather to empower local communities.

”We were left with no other options by the General Assembly except to empower the locals,” Sen. Qaddoura said. “So, to remove that inconsistency, we need a statewide solution that the General Assembly refuses to act on.”

The President of Hoosiers Concerned about Gun Violence said the group supports the new bill in its entirety. This comes several months after Indiana Attorney General Todd Rokita found an Indianapolis gun control ordinance unconstitutional. The ordinance is currently not enforceable under the law.

Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    This Fady is obviously someone who doesn’t know their ass from a hole in the ground. Dead on arrival is right. What a putz.
    Interesting timing by a Palestinian to try to remove people’s ability to defend themselves.
    Twenty years ago “doesn’t know their a$$” would have been the simplest explanation. Now, “intentional and concerted action” is more likely.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    Here is my humble opinion. His statement of " you are tying the hands of the locals to come up with solutions" could easily be said "you are tying the hands of the locals to defend themselves". One idea I have about gun violence is gun safety should be taught in schools. I like many of you grew up with guns always around. Not everyone has that chance. Education is always a good start to any solution. Just my humble opinion.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Before being elected he was an "experienced pubic servant" that tells me all I need to know. In other words, been on the public teat all his life.

From the Dims website

Biography​

State Senator Fady Qaddoura was elected to represent Indiana’s Senate District 30 in 2020. Before his election, Senator Qaddoura was already an experienced public servant, working on behalf of the people of Indiana for over a decade. He worked first for the Indiana General Assembly, then the Indiana Department of Workforce Development and Indiana Family and Social Services Administration, before being appointed the controller and CFO for the City of Indianapolis in 2016. During his tenure with the city, he was credited with balancing the city’s $1.2 billion budget without tax increases after a decade of structural budget deficits that exceeded $55 million annually, securing five consecutive credit ratings enhancements from national credit agencies, lowering the overall city debt, and playing a significant role in executing many of the city’s operational and economic development strategies. In 2018, he was named CFO of the Year by the Indianapolis Business Journal (IBJ). Sen. Qaddoura also earned a spot in the IBJ 40 Under 40 Class of 2019 and is a recipient of the Accelerate Indiana Municipalities (AIM) Award for Excellence in Fiscal Management.
    Senator Qaddoura received both a Bachelor of Science and a Master of Science degree in computer science from the University of New Orleans. Additionally, he holds a Master of Public Administration degree in public affairs and nonprofit management, as well as, a Doctor of Philosophy degree in philanthropy and public policy from Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI). Qaddoura teaches courses on philanthropy, civic engagement, executive leadership, and finance as an adjunct faculty member at IUPUI.
    During his tenure in the Indiana Senate, Senator Qaddoura has championed efforts to fully fund and improve student outcomes at public schools, increase teachers’ compensation, expand early childhood education, expand access to affordable healthcare, protect responsible tenants and expand affordable housing, strengthen our democracy, and protect civil liberties and freedoms for all citizens. His legislative successes include securing funding for the Nickel Plate Trail, Indianapolis’ low-barrier homeless shelter, increasing road funding for Indianapolis, improving home healthcare for the most vulnerable, expanding support for mental and public health, increasing eligibility for On My Way Pre-K, eliminating textbook fees, and improving access to higher education.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

INDIANAPOLIS — Indiana State Sen. Fady Qaddoura said a new bill he plans to file in the next few weeks seeks to counteract the state’s pre-emption law — a law that’s been on the books since 2011 and prohibits Indiana cities, counties, and towns from creating their own gun control regulations.

”My argument to the General Assembly is that, ‘Quit complaining about gun violence at the same time when you are tying the hands of the locals to come up with solutions,'” Sen. Qaddoura said.

If the senator’s bill is passed, Indiana municipalities could create their own gun control regulations such as requiring the safe storage of firearms, requiring a license to carry a handgun, and expanding background checks for firearm purchases.

There is, however, a caveat. Any potential regulations under consideration by a municipality must be backed by a local law enforcement agency and comply with both the U.S. and Indiana State Constitutions.

”We had these solutions implemented in the past in Indiana, they were constitutional,” Sen. Qaddoura said.

Gun rights advocates, like 2nd Amendment lawyer Guy Relford, said certain provisions in the bill would most likely not hold constitutional muster, including provisions that would allow municipalities to prohibit the purchase of assault weapons and raise the minimum age to purchase a firearm to 21.

”It’s going to be dead on arrival in the Indiana General Assembly,” Relford said. ”I think getting more input from more sources including our LEO’s is fine, but I also don’t think that’s an excuse to pass what ultimately would be found to be unconstitutional gun control.”

Relford also said the bill, if passed, would create a patchwork system of inconsistent laws, causing confusion between municipalities.

”The whole purpose of the Firearms Preemption Act is to prohibit exactly what they’re attempting to do here,” Relford said.

Sen. Qaddoura said the bill isn’t designed to cause confusion, but rather to empower local communities.

”We were left with no other options by the General Assembly except to empower the locals,” Sen. Qaddoura said. “So, to remove that inconsistency, we need a statewide solution that the General Assembly refuses to act on.”

The President of Hoosiers Concerned about Gun Violence said the group supports the new bill in its entirety. This comes several months after Indiana Attorney General Todd Rokita found an Indianapolis gun control ordinance unconstitutional. The ordinance is currently not enforceable under the law.
    This may be the next direction for gun control advocates. A similar attempt has been made in Ohio and the Governor and AG have taken it to court. It seems a fallback to an era when they could enact whatever foolish and pointless restrictions they wanted in the liberal cities they controlled. I'm not sure if the point is to convince their voters they are 'doing something' about gun violence or something more nefarious. In Columbus, which I live in a near suburb of, the law also turns on 'safe storage' and magazine restrictions. The only real result of a patchwork of different laws was to confuse law abiding gun owners but perhaps 'doing something' allows for continued successful fund raising

Last edited:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    weird-jpg.267917

Here is Fady, making the same ole tired arguments. He usually sits with ole Dagger Eyes.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    He is a communist (AKA Democrat), what else do you need to know? Read their party platform, they want the citizenry functionally disarmed. Through out history those with that desire have nearly always had one end goal in mind.

The ideology behind the communists and their ilk is the reason for the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 9th, and 10th Amendments.

I wonder what George, Thomas, James, and Patrick would be saying now?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom