• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I was waiting for the landslide of emotion from the 7.62X39 folks.

Well, I don't think they can argue it when Misha has admitted that he had "help" from the Germans (aka Hugo) who were in the USSR after the Great Patriotic War.

Plus Simonov invented the 7.62X39mm so I got no beef with the CKC people.

The whole "Kalishnakov Cult" will soon collapse once Misha is dead and gone.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    1. John Moses Browning
    2. Samuel Colt
    3. Horace Smith and Daniel Wesson.

S&W are overlooked, yet they were the ones that popularized the top break revolver (allowing fast reloading) of the model 3 Schofield. It was the first cartridge firing revolver adopted by the US military (1870). And they were far faster to reload than the Colt single action army.

Another thing to remember are the Ammo types introduced by S&W:

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Benjamin Tyler Henry should be near the top, also the man from Indianapolis Richard Jordan Gatling.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Well, I don't think they can argue it when Misha has admitted that he had "help" from the Germans (aka Hugo) who were in the USSR after the Great Patriotic War.

Plus Simonov invented the 7.62X39mm so I got no beef with the CKC people.

The whole "Kalishnakov Cult" will soon collapse once Misha is dead and gone.

I think it's a very typical case of "to each his own" As an AK owner, lover, and MAJOR fanboy, I'll defend the gun to the death. As a firearms history enthusiast however, I am well aware the gun was "designed" from the STG-44. However, I will go out on a limb and say that Mikhail DID "invent" the AK47. While there are clearly similarities, the internal are different. The STG44 was a prototype weapon that never reached full potential, Mikhail resurrected a dead design, and PERFECTED it. Shouldn't that quality as an invention?

MG77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    John Moses Browning-adaptations of his designs are still used in large part today.

Great Thread by the way!:yesway:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I think it's a very typical case of "to each his own" As an AK owner, lover, and MAJOR fanboy, I'll defend the gun to the death. As a firearms history enthusiast however, I am well aware the gun was "designed" from the STG-44. However, I will go out on a limb and say that Mikhail DID "invent" the AK47. While there are clearly similarities, the internal are different. The STG44 was a prototype weapon that never reached full potential, Mikhail resurrected a dead design, and PERFECTED it. Shouldn't that quality as an invention?
    Not to mention the STG44 was complicated and expensive to produce, but the AK was quick and cheap. I don't think you can really say the AK was designed on the STG, but rather inspired by it.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    S&W (because of the history of fine firearms) , Ruger (I like his rugged pistols at an affordable price) and Eli Whitney for developing guns that could be manufactured and assembled interchangably. (at least I think he developed interchangable parts) and Winchester (great rifles that were a game changer)

Top Bottom