• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    This article won't dissuade Bloomie and his astroturf campaign supporters. They'll say that firearms were not necessary and that the store staff should simply deny entry to the "peaceful protesters" by holding their arms out like they're playing Red Rover. :rolleyes:

For those of us that see it for what it is, we know that it's proof that...hey, the police can't be everywhere we need them to be when we need them.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I went to Katrina right afterwards and it was one of the very eeriest feelings of my life at night time. There was NO electricity, which meant no power for lights, no cell phone service, no way to call for help or anything like that that one takes for granted. Everyone was polite, but you could tell there was a different mood knowing that people had just lost about everything they ever had and were going to keep what was left, and seeing the "You loot, we shoot" spray painted on garage doors, you knew things were different.
    There was a devastating tornado rip through Henryville a couple of years ago, and it was very similar, only smaller scale.
    Now, look at what is going on in Missouri, not to mention the "flash mobs" that aren't that uncommon. Louisville actually saw several people injured this spring from flash mobs.
    Didn't mean to ramble, just touching base on a few factual occurrences that reinforces the absolute need for "high capacity" when it comes to defending yourself, loved ones or property in certain situations.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I do! I do! A well selected assortment for a layered defense. And of course it would help to have one that was belt fed...and the money to feed it right....but I think that takes a good supply of tax payers to do comfortably.

Everyone should be as ready as they can be all the time because when the time comes to be ready you can't get ready. It will be like looking for a block heater in WI in January...

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    :dunno:

Do YOU think you have a need for high-capacity magazines?

If that's "Yes", then I guess YOU do. So, I support that choice.

Oh, and if that's "No", then I guess YOU don't, and I support that choice, as well.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    As I see it, I think the question is more along the lines of "Do you need a handgun with a capacity of 6-8 rounds (your typically model 1911) vs. 15+ for Glocks and similar models?" I think this goes back to the 1960s when departments all across the US were transitioning from the Colt Positive Police Model .38 (with its 4" - or longer - barrel) to semi-autos such as the 1911 and Browning Hi-Power. Lots of senior cops at that time remembered using the 1911 during WWII and Korea, when higher capacities and faster reloads allowed many to survive those wars. There was resistance to semi-autos, as reports of poorly-maintained 1911s jamming or going "full-auto" made the rounds. Both sides had legitimate reasons to select the revolver or the semi-auto as a service weapon.

I think DOJ and FBI stats would show that even well-trained officers often fail to hit center-of-mass (or even edge-of-mass) when fired upon, even at close ranges (5-10 meters). Adrenaline plays hell with one's aim! I also think officers involved in such shootings would respond that they would PREFER to fire as many rounds as possible before having to reload, as well as firing as few rounds as necessary to terminate the immediate threat(s).

This issue applies equally to long rifles as handguns. There was probably no better demonstration of not just the need for high-capacity service weapons, but also the need for high-power weapons than the 1997 North Hollywood shootout. Now, hi-cap handguns didn't have much of an effect on those 2 perps given the body armor they wore, but there was always the chance that massed fire from hi-cap handguns might have slowed the perps down or scored a lucky head shot.

Obviously, the bad guys are moving toward military-grade firearms, and so the police have responded with AR-15s. It's a shame that they have that military appearance, especially with the recent events in Ferguson and the perception of the militarization of the police across the country. Would a cosmetic change to the AR help to reduce its military association (imagine cops carrying AR-15s with bright pink paint jobs and "My Little Pony" stickers on the buttstocks!), or is that perception related more to the body-armor, gas-masks, and especially the heavy-duty SWAT wagons now in use??

IMHO, police departments could go a long way toward a better image by simply limiting SWAT teams for situations for which they were originally designed: hostage situations, barricaded perps with weapons, etc. IMHO, using SWAT teams with battering rams and flash-bangs to serve misdemeanor warrants in clearly an inappropriate use. It's a show of force when little or no force is required. Yes, a situation can escalate quickly, but the mere presence of an MRAP with SWAT guys hanging off the sides can just as easily escalate the tension and potential for violence. Better to try the Sheriff Andy Taylor approach first than the Chief Darryl Gates approach!!

Sorry to go off-topic there at the end, but the issues are related.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I own some modern sporting rifles and handguns with standard capacity magazines. Not sure what a high capacity firearm even means.

i am sure the leftists would say protecting your shoes or liquor isn't worth someone's life, so you should step back and let them take what they want.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think I need lower capacity magazines. Maybe that would make my ammo last longer....

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    "Standard capacity" - 5-6 rounds for a revolver, 7-8 for a 1911, 20 for an AR-15.

"High capacity" - 15-18 for a Glock/XD, 60-100 for an AR-15.
    Sooooo....the 17 round magazines that came with my Glock 34 and the 30 round PMAGS that came with my AR are "high capacity"? That sounds terrible!

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    Sooooo....the 17 round magazines that came with my Glock 34 and the 30 round PMAGS that came with my AR are "high capacity"? That sounds terrible!

Yes, they're "high-capacity" when compared to 1911 mags. Also, 30-round mags for an AR are "hi-cap" given the original design was only a 20-round mag.

The semantics does become important when one discusses firearms capable of 15+ rounds in the mag. For example, my Glock 30SF holds just 8, though most people would probably think that, being a Glock, it should hold at least a dozen!

For those in the know, the terms aren't important. For people trying to put their own spin on a story, the terms become VERY important, as "hi-cap" sounds scary to the uninformed.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Yes, they're "high-capacity" when compared to 1911 mags. Also, 30-round mags for an AR are "hi-cap" given the original design was only a 20-round mag.

The semantics does become important when one discusses firearms capable of 15+ rounds in the mag. For example, my Glock 30SF holds just 8, though most people would probably think that, being a Glock, it should hold at least a dozen!

For those in the know, the terms aren't important. For people trying to put their own spin on a story, the terms become VERY important, as "hi-cap" sounds scary to the uninformed.
    Dude, I know you're tryin, but I'm just messing with ya. I would have used purple for sarcasm but with 46 posts, I wasn't sure you would have got it. 17 round mags are STANDARD CAPACITY for a G17/G34 and 30 round mags are STANDARD CAPACITY for an AR/M4. "High capacity" is nothing but a term invented by some liberal to strike fear in the hearts of the uneducated.

Top Bottom