Who or their family in INGO has had H1N1?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    I have heard many things about the swine flu. Ive heard from some that its less severe than the regular seasonal flu. Ive also heard that its devastatingly bad. sick for weeks. debilitating and on the verge of death. obviously there has been some reported that have died from it but most seem to have had conditions to begin with as with those who die from the seasonal flu.

i wanted to hear from healthy first hand experiences. how bad is it?

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    The only information I have is second hand. My neighbors daugther (over 50) was sick for only a week. She told her father it was not that bad. But I understand it effects different people differently.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    My 8y/o daughter had it. We didn't quarantine her, and we didn't give her the Tamiflu she was prescribed. Gave her Vitamins D3, C, and multivitamins and lots of OJ and Chicken Noodle soup. Not only was she over it in 3 days, but no one else in the house got sick even though we were all in close contact and didn't change any routines except her being out of school a week.

My neighbor's son had it for about a week and it was worse with him, but when he gets sick he gets bad sick regardless. He did pass it to his older brother, but he got over it fairly quickly as well.

Don't worry yourself about the Piggy Flu. It's just a bunch of :bs: they are trying to scare the sheeple with.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Not only was she over it in 3 days, but no one else in the house got sick even though we were all in close contact and didn't change any routines except her being out of school a week.
    ok. you are who i was thinking of when i posted the thread, but i couldnt remember it was you.

the reason i asked was, my wife was just sick and i joked that it was swine flu. (actually just think it was a bad cold) and she got mad at me and was convinced that it couldnt be swine flu b/c she was over it in only a weak and wasnt on the verge of death. she said one of the drivers at work was sick for weaks. but i assume he was just miking it to get time off of work b/c most of their employees are not the greatest employees if you know what i mean.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    ok. you are who i was thinking of when i posted the thread, but i couldnt remember it was you.

the reason i asked was, my wife was just sick and i joked that it was swine flu. (actually just think it was a bad cold) and she got mad at me and was convinced that it couldnt be swine flu b/c she was over it in only a weak and wasnt on the verge of death. she said one of the drivers at work was sick for weaks. but i assume he was just miking it to get time off of work b/c most of their employees are not the greatest employees if you know what i mean.

The ONLY way to know for sure is to have a lab test done. Otherwise we'd have just thought it was the regular flu.

I understand the milking it thing. My wife's done a lot of that lately and I joke with her telling her she's the most sickly person I've ever known... :): Always SOMETHING wrong with her...

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    My wife, grandson and I all had it. For the wife it wasn't too bad. However, for the grandson and myself, it kicked our butts! I was down for five days. Worst I have ever felt.

Yeti

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    New Haven
    i had both my roommates had it... they were both hacking up a lung and just plain miserable. i didnt get sick, but the army had me get the vaccine anyways... you get a headache for a while. some people here complained of soreness in their forearms...

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    The ONLY way to know for sure is to have a lab test done. Otherwise we'd have just thought it was the regular flu.
    if im understanding it right. the 1000 proclaimed deaths so far, are partially assumed. not all of them have been tested. the doctors just made an assumption it was swine flu and wrote it down as such inflating the number of actual deaths which might be a few hundred lower.

and even so. it sounds like those who died, had complications anyway.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    i had both my roommates had it... they were both hacking up a lung and just plain miserable. i didnt get sick, but the army had me get the vaccine anyways... you get a headache for a while. some people here complained of soreness in their forearms...

Well that's what happens when you get Nano-devices injected into your arm! :laugh:

J/K

Yeti

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    New Haven
    Well that's what happens when you get Nano-devices injected into your arm! :laugh:

J/K
    honestly... i would not doubt it...we get so much crap put into us that we just dont care what it is... plus i swear they do something to all of our meals.. they say its just to make it healthy... umm

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Looks pretty serious to me.

flu.jpg

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Two or three at work - none in my family. Seemed to not be a big deal, though one has a <1 yr old daughter and they are watching it closely with the docs.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Speaking to the guy who mentioned his wife's co-worker:

I read a little quip the other day that is OH so very appropriate. "Flu" is the new Snow Day.

Which is why I believe that if you're going to be out more than a "few" days, should get a doctor's note as to the reason why. (keeping in mind that 3 days out for Employee A can be a different ball game than 3 days out for Employee M)

-J-

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    It took me out of work for essentially a half day (wore a mask when I got back to work). The only reason I was back at work was due to desk work not being so intensive. The lab testing results were phoned to me pretty much when I was on the mend. Don't listen to paranoia nutcases and conspiracy junkies: It's the flu, nothing else. It is particularly virulent with children and such, outside of that, it was the flu.

The muscle aches got me bigtime. Outside of plenty of fluids/vitamens/rest, vaccines suck and there is not much you can do other than wait it out. I don't believe in symptom reducing drugs that buzz me up or whack me out!

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Greg Garrisons son in law is/was fighting for his life last I heard, H1N1.
    Have a family member that has been in the hospital on a vent for weeks, took her off the vent and inserted feeding tubes and done a tracheotomy.
    I know that Rachel had no underlying illness that would cause her to be down so bad. Garrisons son in law I have no clue on.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    My whole family got it...

My wife showed symptoms first (she is a teacher). She went to the doctor the 2nd day of having symptoms and tested positive.

We immediately called the pediatrician's after hours line because our 6mo foster son is medically fragile. Earlier that month he had a little cold and it landed him in the hospital for several days. They put him on Tamiflu as a preventative measure assuming he had been exposed. However they would not do the same for our 2 year old daughter. We got him started on it within an hour. That night he got a low grade fever, but nothing else. Our daughter's fever spiked the next day and we called the pediatrician and got her on Tamiflu ASAP. Both my wife and daughter had it BAD. Both of them just wanted to curl up and die. The "awaiting death" part only lasted a couple days, but a low grade fever lasted over a week. My daughter was the only one who had really high fevers (104).

After seeing the difference between starting Tamiflu before symptoms (foster son) and starting immediately after (daughter) I neurotically checked my temp and the first sign of a fever I stole one of my wife's pills. I ended up just getting a mild case... felt a little crummy and had a low grade fever for over a week. The doctor suspected it was because I had a nasty viral infection a month earlier (which was 10X worse than what my wife or daughter had) and that might have created some antibodies that helped out with the H1N1.

It wasn't a walk in the park, but it could have been much worse. I'm just glad we got the foster son on Tamiflu soon enough. If he had it as bad as our daughter I am pretty sure he would not have survived.

Top Bottom