• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Can't say I'm at all interested in an AR pistol. I have pistols to do pistol stuff and rifles to do rifle stuff. I live in a very rural area and I don't expect to find myself in any situation where one would be beneficial.

ANY firearm discharged indoors and at night will instantly cause dramatic sensory overload....I'm guessing a 12" 5.56 would be quite uncomfortable.

No disrespect towards y'all who have them and like them, but I'll pass.
    They make suppressors

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Indeed they do.....still doesn't change my position.
    13 posts in 13 years. Lol
    You are on a roll, I thought I was conservative. :D
    Ok, back on topic. I didnt get the draw for em either until I built mine, its just fun. Can't say I prefer one over the other but the pistol does have its place and for me it is the small space it takes up.... and its fun!

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    13 posts in 13 years. Lol
    You are on a roll, I thought I was conservative. :D
    This post makes 15.....I'm quite talkative this week.

In all honesty, because I haven't found myself interested in one I haven't made myself aware of the legal nuances involved.

Back in the day if you had an AR at your house and happened to own an M-16 fcg, you could be charged with constructive intent. Is it not too much of a temptation to slap your pistol upper on your carbine lower and hence, an illegal SBR? If my pistol brace touches my shoulder is it an illegal SBR? Can I put a brace on my carbine lower, slap on a pistol upper and be legal? Does my pistol ALWAYS have to be a pistol or can I change it around?

I still don't see a "need" for one in my arsenal/collection but I'll admit to some ignorance on my part.

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    This post makes 15.....I'm quite talkative this week.

In all honesty, because I haven't found myself interested in one I haven't made myself aware of the legal nuances involved.

Back in the day if you had an AR at your house and happened to own an M-16 fcg, you could be charged with constructive intent. Is it not too much of a temptation to slap your pistol upper on your carbine lower and hence, an illegal SBR? If my pistol brace touches my shoulder is it an illegal SBR? Can I put a brace on my carbine lower, slap on a pistol upper and be legal? Does my pistol ALWAYS have to be a pistol or can I change it around?

I still don't see a "need" for one in my arsenal/collection but I'll admit to some ignorance on my part.
    I believe the rule is, once a rifle always a rifle. So if the gun was sold as a rifle then you dont dare put a short barrel on it unless you register it as an SBR. I dont think putting a brace on a rifle is a no no but it wouldnt make any sense to do so, so its a moot point.
    As far as a pistol goes, if you bought a pistol, I think it could be legally converted to a rifle without issue. I built mine from a stripped lower, and in that case you want to make sure when the lower was purchased it was marked on the form as a firearm and not a rifle.
    Where I'm really unclear and I think this is where the waters get muddied is having parts unattached laying around, ie: having a short barrel and a complete rifle lower in the same proximity, so just to be cautious I dont have completed lowers/uppers laying around without a mate. I may be a little paranoid there but because I dont know for sure I choose to play it safe.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I believe the rule is, once a rifle always a rifle. So if the gun was sold as a rifle then you dont dare put a short barrel on it unless you register it as an SBR. I dont think putting a brace on a rifle is a no no but it wouldnt make any sense to do so, so its a moot point.
    As far as a pistol goes, if you bought a pistol, I think it could be legally converted to a rifle without issue. I built mine from a stripped lower, and in that case you want to make sure when the lower was purchased it was marked on the form as a firearm and not a rifle.
    Where I'm really unclear and I think this is where the waters get muddied is having parts unattached laying around, ie: having a short barrel and a complete rifle lower in the same proximity, so just to be cautious I dont have completed lowers/uppers laying around without a mate. I may be a little paranoid there but because I dont know for sure I choose to play it safe.
    And all of this confusion demonstrates just how stupid and arbitrary the laws are. It's a point we should be hammering home when talking with non-gun people as much as we can.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    They make suppressors

And add back all that length you went through all that trouble to remove.
    Kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Hell, I felt stupid for putting a KX5 on my 10.5" to try to tame concussion and flash. Sure it works great, but that's 3" of additional length.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    And add back all that length you went through all that trouble to remove.
    Kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Hell, I felt stupid for putting a KX5 on my 10.5" to try to tame concussion and flash. Sure it works great, but that's 3" of additional length.
    No because that can on a 16 makes it 22 inches long. 11.5 with a can has roughly the same forward area as holding a traditional pistol properly. An 8" home defense build with a can is still under 16. A can is a must for hd

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    No because that can on a 16 makes it 22 inches long. 11.5 with a can has roughly the same forward area as holding a traditional pistol properly. An 8" home defense build with a can is still under 16. A can is a must for hd

You can just buy an integrally suppressed barrel that meets the 16" OAL requirement.

I also don't agree that a can is a must for HD. Maybe if you're shooting people inside your home on a regular basis. The risk of some hearing damage in the impossibly tiny percent chance I have to shoot someone in my home is something I'm willing to live with.

Already shot rifles without hearing protection indoors and my hearing isn't any more messed up than it had been before.

I see cans more as a recreational niceity. Especially if you're stuck shooting from a closed in bench with a metal roof.

Honestly, I'd rather put the money I'd put on a can on some comtac IVs and call it a day.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    You can just buy an integrally suppressed barrel that meets the 16" OAL requirement.

I also don't agree that a can is a must for HD. Maybe if you're shooting people inside your home on a regular basis. The risk of some hearing damage in the impossibly tiny percent chance I have to shoot someone in my home is something I'm willing to live with.

Already shot rifles without hearing protection indoors and my hearing isn't any more messed up than it had been before.

I see cans more as a recreational niceity. Especially if you're stuck shooting from a closed in bench with a metal roof.

Honestly, I'd rather put the money I'd put on a can on some comtac IVs and call it a day.
    That is a pretty uninformed post that no instructor on the planet would agree with. It's not just your hearing indoors it's your family's too. A good can and a tax stamp is cheaper than a single hearing aid. A single shot in a house could permanently damage a child's hearing. Chances of donning ear pro in a home invasion are iffy at best.

I'm doubtful you've shot in a small enclosed space without hearing protection and don't have permanent loss.

Leo and mil are general issuing cans more and more because they benefit all around use. Recoil control, sound reduction, quicker follow up shots from reduced rise etc etc...

An integral suppressed barrel is a headache and removed the ability to move the can around. If you want to change the barrel the whole thing has to go to an sot.

My 11.5 with a can is shorter than a 16" carbine with a flash hider. Upper is on an sbr lower in pic. On a pistol lower the oal is similar.

Definitely recommend getting to Muncie for a course or two at Mtac. It'll open your eyes and crush some biases

Attachments

• 20210801_144131.jpg
      20210801_144131.jpg
      543.7 KB · Views: 17

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    Q: Can anyone speak as to a Vortex Strikefire II Red Dot for use with an AR pistol?
    Recommend...or not?
    A friend has one on a Ruger carbine. I have an Aimpoint PRO on a BCM lightweight carbine.

I can nit-pick the differences but in practice....his does what mine does for half the price.

Like TacFat said, if you have one I wouldn't spend money to replace it but if you're buying one do a little research and shop around.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    A friend has one on a Ruger carbine. I have an Aimpoint PRO on a BCM lightweight carbine.

I can nit-pick the differences but in practice....his does what mine does for half the price.

Like TacFat said, if you have one I wouldn't spend money to replace it but if you're buying one do a little research and shop around.
    I have one on a 12.5" AR. They're big & chunky & heavy - but they work. Basically they're the "me" of inexpensive Chinese optics.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Q: Can anyone speak as to a Vortex Strikefire II Red Dot for use with an AR pistol?
    Recommend...or not?
    I used to have a Vortex Strike fire II on my AR pistol and switched it out for a Romeo 5. The Vortex works fine, but is much heavier and has a larger footprint than the Sig.

I originally bought it for the option to switch between the red and green dot but I found I rarely used the green dot. It would probably be great for someone who frequently shoots in desert environments with a lot more red dirt and clay backgrounds, but most of my shooting happens here in the midwest where dirt is brown and vegetation is green.

To summarize, the Vortex is a decent option but I found it too big and heavy for my application.

ETA: posted before seeing the other replies. Apparently we're all pretty much on the same page.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    If you already have the Strikefire II - then rock it.
    If you're in the market - then there are better options.
    One came on a 10.5" pistol that I picked up....
    The price I paid was still less than the pistol itself when NIB...so I got the Vortex for 'free'!
    Gonna work with it and see how it goes...
    I'm not planning on reaching out more than 75-100 meters with it...but would if I have to!

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

I have no experience with these, but Primary Arms has the Sig Sauer Romeo MSR for $90 before tax and shipping.

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Minimum of 10.5” barrel length with carbine gas system and standard buffer. Most will operate with any weight ammo because that’s how carbines run anyway. You lose some velocity due to barrel length but at those distances it’s negligible. Of course YMMV, and any buffer/bullet weight should be tested to ensure reliability. I’ve had a 10.5” barrel with a 5.5” flash hider (don’t ask LOL) for a long time and it’s essentially a pistol (but, a rifle?”) and it has fired every single round I put through it.

My new go-to is a 11.5” Aero build with SB3 and I LOVE it. Anything between the 10.5-12.5” barrel length is just preference of handguard length and maneuverability.

Anything I did with a 16” barreled rifle I can do with a braced pistol with less weight and bulk, accuracy and engagement distance (my uses) not affected.

My opinions, I’m not an AR snob, but I’ve kicked a lot of doors with SBRs and AR pistols and this is my experience and a winning combo.
    Hard to argue with any of this. Completely agree for manuverability, dynamic entry/CQB situations...makes perfect sense and perfromance not affected.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I like an AR pistol or an SBR.
    I don't "prefer" one, but I do like one.
    Like anything, they are a good tool to have in your toolbox.
    I'd "prefer" one as a defensive weapon because of their smaller size, and better maneuverability.
    I'd "prefer" a carbine or rifle for general purpose if I were out in the open, and "at war" due to their better capability at longer range.
    I use an SBR for home defense (same size package as a AR pistol). I have had an AR pistol before though. Built one for the wife in 9mm.

Top Bottom