Who says a 20-gauge can't be tacti-cool!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    Went to Tactical Shotgunner downtown Indy & they were really nice folks, and they don't make you feel like you do in some stores, because you are a GIRL.

Took my stock 20 gauge Rem 870 Express (I don't have the arm strength to hold up a 12 gauge in a practical way), & got:
    ---Mesa Tactical telescoping buttstock
    ---Choate Tube extension for higher round capacity
    ---Urban E.R.T. single-point sling
    ---Mesa Tactical's 4-shot side saddle
    ---Vang Comp's High Dome safety

And by the way, TSG also now has truly TACTICAL 20-gauge AMMO, something that has been sorely hard-to-find in the 20-gauge market.
    They have the Paraklese 00 Buck in 20 gauge!!

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    That's great, Pamcake You are now set to take care of business if necessary. 20 GA is viable option, especially with the vaunted OO Buck loads. Now this is sarcasm...WHAT? WHERE'S THE 20,000 LUMEN LIGHT AND BLACK PUMP HANDLE?:):

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    Yeah, the stock kit did not include a pump handle... seems not too many manufacturers do that? I'm sure I could find one somewhere if I wanted to.

"WalMart rattle can black" was an offered solution for the wood handle.
    Actually, I don't mind it, because it tells me at a glance that it is the shotgun not a rifle when looking in the dark gun safe! And I come from a family of hardwood & nut tree growers anyway ;)

Lights are a bit of a problem, if mounted on the extended mag tube but switch on the pump handle means there is a loose, dangling cord (when pump handle is in forward position) that could catch on something. Would not be a problem if the shotgun were a semi-auto (gas-operated or recoil-operated) instead of pump-action... But I like making that schuck-schuck noise:D

wraymusicman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Colorado
    I just bought a 870 20ga youth model for my wife, and this gives me some great ideas of what to do with it (besides just take the plug out). Nice work!

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    First, thanks for stopping and giving us a shot!

I'm glad we could help you and that you were happy with the shopping experience. It was a bit hectic Saturday so I am glad you left satisfied.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    Thanks for stopping by and bringing in your shotgun. I m glad we were able to get you closer to where you wanted to be with it, hopefully we will be able to get the other parts your needing soon. When we get a chance to get some one to where they want to be with their shotgun its rewarding for us.
    We are working on something a bit different for the fore end and are working on getting a couple of options in.
    Looking forward to hearing how the Paraklese patterns, I haven't had a chance to run it through the wife's 870 yet but am hopeful her shotty will like it as well.

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    Very cool! I have read elsewhere that 20 gauge is plenty of firepower for close-range home defense, and especially with buckshot, I believe it. I have a Mossberg 500 SP in 12 gauge, but honestly feel that my dad's old Remington Wingmaster in 20 is more controllable. I need to go pick up some of that 20-gauge buckshot....

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Very cool! I have read elsewhere that 20 gauge is plenty of firepower for close-range home defense, and especially with buckshot, I believe it. I have a Mossberg 500 SP in 12 gauge, but honestly feel that my dad's old Remington Wingmaster in 20 is more controllable. I need to go pick up some of that 20-gauge buckshot....
    Dead is dead with a shotgun. The only difference with a 20 gauge is less lead but if you use proper ammo AKA like in this thread, a good hit will kill. The pellets are the same caliber and ft/lbs are too, just less pellets.

My GF uses 20 due to an injury in her weak hand forearm. Less weight and recoil makes a huge difference for her.

Great build!

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    Thanks, everyone!
    And special thanks to pudly for supplying the NEW, COOL BLACK FOREND for my little 20-gauge. See pic from the middle of the swap-out project. Here, the wood piece has been removed & the bolt carrier taken out & put in the black carrier. The hefty needle-nose pliers were used instead of the special "spanner" type wrench and it works just fine for that purpose, just like pudly said it would.
    Now to try to get it all back together.....?????
    (Hubby helping with that one...)

web.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Oh, man... yeah, I agree with Dice Dealer, that collapsible stock and wood foregrip clash... but they clash perfectly. Old-world style with new-age precision melded into one aesthetically-pleasing blend of awesome. One of these days I'm going to have to pay the fine folks of TSG a visit - you guys 'n' gals do great work.

Reps inbound when I can!

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    OK, here's the finished product!
    Pushing in on both of those little doojimawhatchits (carrier releases) inside the chamber while trying to insert the bolt carrier/forend apparatus isn't the easiest to coordinate, took both of us together to do it!

web.jpg

Sorry, Bad Hair Day...
    web.jpg

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    Nice!:D

I might (ok, I will) suggest that you cut the section (about 2") of the forend off that covers the charging port when the bolt is to the rear. It's easy enough to do and the cut on synthetic will clean up just fine with a little sandpaper.

Having better access to the port makes charging and voiding the magazine tube much easier.

Top Bottom